walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

From The Nab to Beda Fell

From The Nab to Beda Fell

Postby pamfox » Sat Jun 11, 2016 12:30 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Angletarn Pikes, Beda Fell, Brock Crags, Rest Dodd, The Knott, The Nab

Hewitts included on this walk: Rest Dodd

Date walked: 04/06/2016

Time taken: 6.5

Distance: 17.8 km

Ascent: 1016m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2016-06-04 165956.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A few weeks ago Simon. Emily and myself decided to have a weekend in the Lakes so we could do two consecutive walks, and booked a B&B in Hesket Newmarket, a lovely little village. This was going to be my training weekend for The Cuillins later on this month. Simon had planned two cracking walks but I weren't expecting them to be easy.
IMG_1640.JPG

IMG_1641.JPG
Emily and simon

Simon's first direct ascent on this walk was The Nab, which I found quite tough. It was a very close, hot day and I struggled with the heat. It was a quiet route so far.
IMG_1642.JPG

It was a relief to get to the summit and I could just tell it was going to be a tough day.
The next stop was Rest Dodd, where we could see Kidsty Pike and High Raise.
IMG_1643.JPG

A third descent and climb took us onto The Knott (a popular name) from where we could see Gray Crag and Hayeswater.
IMG_1645.JPG
Gray Crag and Hayeswater

Still not much of a breeze :( and I look like I've been dragged through a hedge by this point.
The next Wainwright, Brock Crags, was brilliant for the views. You can see Hartsop Dodd, Caudale Moor, Thornthwaite Crag and Grey Crag all together. It was great being able to see them all. I have fond memories of these four Wainwrights, from 2009 I think. I remember the scramble into and out of Thresthwaite mouth. Simon took us on that walk and it kick started my Wainwright bagging. I know, it's taking me a long time!
IMG_1646.JPG
Angle Tarn?

IMG_1647.JPG
The four I've just mentioned

IMG_1648.JPG
Brotherswater and Hartsop Dodd

A well earned rest on Angletarn Pikes.
IMG_1651.JPG
Angle Tarn, a mini Derwentwater

We carried on to Beda Fell and the day seemed to get better. The haze had disappeared and I was really enjoying the views. The descent from Beda Fell was quite kind and we got a nice view of Ullswater on the way. We'd not seen many other walkers all day.
IMG_1652.JPG
Ullswater looking busy

Sorry for not naming many hills but I forget what they are and don't always recognise them. These are all first time Wainwrights for me. Feel free to pass on your knowledge to me.
So that was another six Wainwrights bagged. I had to remind myself that this was day one and we'd be doing it all again tomorrow. We were looking forward to sitting in the pub and having a meal. Not too many night caps though! Thanks Simon for another great walk.
pamfox

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:80
Wainwrights:133   

Re: From The Nab to Beda Fell

Postby simon-b » Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 pm

It was a nice first day, Pam. It might have been hard work in the heat, but at least the notorious peat hags we crossed were dry.

As provider of the GPS track for route map, I would like to re-emphasise the walkhighlands disclaimer: any indication that we trespassed when approaching The Nab may be wholly inaccurate :?
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby ChrisW » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:51 am

The heat can be a real weight on a steep climb Pam, I've not been up a mountain for 2 weeks now as it's been around 30 degrees here all that time :roll: Anyway, well done on a great round, great going :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pamfox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:20 am

simon-b wrote:It was a nice first day, Pam. It might have been hard work in the heat, but at least the notorious peat hags we crossed were dry.

As provider of the GPS track for route map, I would like to re-emphasise the walkhighlands disclaimer: any indication that we trespassed when approaching The Nab may be wholly inaccurate :?

Yes they were dry. I still managed to find one and even get it inside my boot.
We blinked and missed it.
pamfox

Postby pamfox » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:23 am

ChrisW wrote:The heat can be a real weight on a steep climb Pam, I've not been up a mountain for 2 weeks now as it's been around 30 degrees here all that time :roll: Anyway, well done on a great round, great going :clap: :clap:

Thanks Chris. It made me feel quite unfit but you just have to keep going at your own pace I suppose.

Canada - wow. You must have done some amazing walks over there.
pamfox

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:52 pm

Very much enjoyed this report - Angle Tarn is a great spot and all the fells round it are beautiful. The Martindale area is a wonderful miniature mountain landscape. Thanks for posting!

Tim
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby pamfox » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:11 pm

HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Very much enjoyed this report - Angle Tarn is a great spot and all the fells round it are beautiful. The Martindale area is a wonderful miniature mountain landscape. Thanks for posting!

Tim

Thanks Tim. Simon plans our walks and I just go along for the ride. I love seeing the hills where I've already been and I get to do that more often as I tick off the Wainwrights. I'm still waiting for my sense of direction to kick in
pamfox

Postby simon-b » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:38 pm

pamfox wrote:
HalfManHalfTitanium wrote:Very much enjoyed this report - Angle Tarn is a great spot and all the fells round it are beautiful. The Martindale area is a wonderful miniature mountain landscape. Thanks for posting!

Tim

Thanks Tim. Simon plans our walks and I just go along for the ride. I love seeing the hills where I've already been and I get to do that more often as I tick off the Wainwrights. I'm still waiting for my sense of direction to kick in

I can't take all the credit, Pam! There was our walk in Swaledale you planned, and plenty of others you've done without me in the Dales, Wales, Howgills and on Arran. Before too long, you could be taking Emily over CMD to the Ben.

Tim, I agree about Angle Tarn and Martindale. Beautiful places.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland