walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Dried food

Dried food

Postby Fairweather Softie » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi,

Contemplating a wild camp and trying to get my head round how I'm going to get everything packed that I will need, the main issue is water and food that I think I will need. Does anyone have advice on what thes packages are like?

Have to admit after a long day of walking I've usually got a thirst and appetite that a few pints and a Chinese takeaway takes care of.

My fear is day 2 lag with no energy.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Re: Dried food

Postby gaffr » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:36 am

Hello,
My dried staples on a trip are muesli and some sort of pasta and throw in some tins of spicy fish....not forgetting my jelly babies and dried figs, dried apricots etc. :)
The packs of dried dinners etc. I find expensive, and perhaps for me, not something to look forward to.
gaffr
Munro compleatist

Munros:281   Corbetts:203
Fionas:33   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:25
Wainwrights:11   Islands:17

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:56 am

Well unless you camp somewhere daft wett will not be an issue here.
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby prog99 » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:20 am

prog99 wrote:Well unless you camp somewhere daft wett will not be an issue here.

I did of course mean water :D
prog99
Munro compleatist

Fionas:130   

Postby Iainm » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:18 am

For a couple of days wild camping I will usually take those Ainsley Harriot Cous Cous packets, pasta mug shots and porridge. That covers the main meals, then for in-between just take whatever snacks you like.

I transfer them from their original packaging into these zip lock bags from lakeland [url]http://www.lakeland.co.uk/18319/20-Soup-%27n%27-Sauce-Press-Seal-Clear-Freezer-Storage-Bags---500ml[url]

This means I only need to boil water and pour it into the bag, no washing up and I then use the empty bag for any rubbish.

I buy the spicy tomato mug shots and I add 2 peperamis and 2 babybels at the end. I will also add peperami to the cous cous.

For snacks I will usually have some cereal bars and I like to take oatcakes and a tube of primula squeezy cheese. Nuts and dried apricots are also good for bumping up the calories.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby BobMcBob » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:08 pm

I'm not a fan of pasta and I can't bear cous cous (why do people want to eat gravel? ;) ), however I have found these freeze dried meals to be more than adequate:

http://www.extreme-food.eu

I've tried, I think, every brand of freeze-dried expedition food and these are not only the only ones I'd even consider eating, they're actually tasty enough that I have used them for dinner at home when I've been feeling extremely lazy. They're not all that cheap, but a main course and pudding will set you back less than my local Chinese's minimum order for delivery :)
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Fairweather Softie » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:17 pm

Hi all,

Thanks for suggestions and information, had visions of me sitting ina tent in the middle of nowhere with a bag full of food trying to get calories into me to keep energy levels up.

Just need to figure out where you get the extreme beer now.
Fairweather Softie
Mountaineer

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby tentpeg » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:47 pm

Fairweather Softie wrote:Hi all,

https://www.patsbcb.com/

You're welcome.
tentpeg

Munros:74   

Postby rgf101 » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:33 pm

My breakfast's are 50g porridge, 30g powered milk, 20g raisins, in a sealable food bag. Pour hot water in, wrap it up in a fleece or something (carefully!) and give it a few minutes.

Dinners currently are either
the Ainsley Harriot couscous + a tuna pouch, or
two cupasoups + two nests of thin noodles (look for ones that cook in three minutes, or just need to be sat in boiled water) again in a sealable bag. With these I crush the noodles up at home before making up the bag with the cupasoup, makes it less messy to eat.

Nice thing about the bag meals is you can do a full pot of water on the gas stove, pour half in to the bag, then use the other half for a hot drink.

I'll also have chocolate biscuits or something to eat while I'm waiting for the water to boil.

During the day it's trail mix (150g of Tesco's nuts and raisins mix, which is £2 500g and 50g of dark chocolate.) Although I need to reconsider the chocolate for summer, couple of weeks ago it all got a bit too hot and I found myself eating chocolate and nut soup with my spork. Tasty though). Plus a couple of pepperami, couple of babybels, and a Trek bar or similar.
rgf101

Postby BobMcBob » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:39 pm

tentpeg wrote:

You're welcome.

That might well be the best thing ever invented :D Have you tried it? Is it drinkable?
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

Postby Iainm » Wed Jun 15, 2016 9:22 pm

BobMcBob wrote:
tentpeg wrote:

You're welcome.

That might well be the best thing ever invented :D Have you tried it? Is it drinkable?

I've been looking and can't find anywhere that sells it in the UK.

I imagine it probably tastes terrible, but that doesn't stop me wanting to try it.
Iainm
Hill Bagger

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Jun 21, 2016 2:25 pm

Quite often on forestry tracks it is possible to find dried, flattened frogs. These could be boiled up to provide a nourishing stew. Probably.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion