walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Loch Morlich and Meall a' Bhuachaille

Loch Morlich and Meall a' Bhuachaille

Postby malky_c » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:09 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall a'Bhuachaille

Date walked: 08/06/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 755m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Meall a' Bhuachaille.
Date: 08/06/2016.
Distance: 17km.
Ascent: 755m.
Time taken: 6 hours.
Weather: Warm, sunny.

I had taken a couple of days off work to spend with my parents while they were on holiday. They had moved from their caravan in Cannich to stay with us for a few nights, and as usual, I wouldn't actually see them unless I went out walking with them. With the weather looking less thundery in the east, we went down in the direction of Aviemore.

Loch Morlich.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Meall a' Bhuachaille was an obvious target but I tried to come up with a more varied route for it - one that my mum could join us on without necessarily going up the hill itself. We opted or a start at the outlet of Loch Morlich, and took a route on forestry tracks around the southern shores of the loch after lunch.

Loch Morlich from the bridge:

There was less of the loch visible than I remembered until we dropped off the forestry track to the shore. A faint path led along here with better views.

Ducks in the loch:

Creagan Gorm ridge across the loch:

After a bit of winding about, we popped out on the ski centre road, which we crossed. Soon we were on the track that leads towards An Lochan Uaine, crossing the Allt Mor and other streams draining the Northern Corries. Predictably, An Lochan Uaine was busy on such a nice day, but it was still worth a stop before continuing to the bothy at Ryvoan.

Allt Mor:

Creag nan Gall:

Lochan Uaine:

Ryvoan:

As one of the most accessible bothies in one of the busiest areas, It always surprises me how tidy and well looked after this bothy is. This visit was no exception. Mum decided here that she wasn't too keen on going up Meall a' Bhuachaille, and turned back towards the car. We climbed up sharply on the newish well-pitched path, which makes pretty light work of the 400m or so to the summit. Can't remember if that was there last time I was up here.

Mum going back the low way:

Creag nan Gall and Lochan Uaine:

Cairngorms behind:

Bynack More:

Loch Morlich:

North across Abernethy:

On the way down to the col, we decided to continue over the ridge towards Craiggowrie, which I hadn't done before. This was pleasant enough but nothing overly spectacular until later on, when the light improved and the sun popped out more than it had already been.

Cairn Lochan and Braeriach:

Back to Meall a’Bhuachaille from the 711m top of Creagan Gorm:

Dad:

Across to the Northern Corries:

Although it was really nice up here, we were running out of time (a familiar theme where dad is involved), so we dropped directly down to Badaguish from the col before Craiggowrie. This may have saved some time, but it was a rough heathery stumble, with a felled area to avoid low down. We were quite glad when we finally popped out on a track through some new camping pods at the outdoor centre. Then it was an easy walk back to the car, where the colours on the loch were far more spectacular than they had been earlier.

Loch Morlich:

malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Grahams:219   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:276   Hewitts:269
Wainwrights:122   Islands:36

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland