walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Time For Liathach

Time For Liathach

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 9:33 am

Route description: Liathach, Glen Torridon

Munros included on this walk: Mullach an Rathain (Liathach), Spidean a' Choire Lèith (Liathach)

Date walked: 17/06/2016

Time taken: 4.49 hours

Distance: 11.6 km

Ascent: 1541m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The final day in Torridon saw me head just up the Glen to Do Laithach
and once more the clag was down everywhere so it was same again and set off
on the ascent up the path alongside the Allt an Doire Ghairbh
Height is gained quickly on the steep ascent and the paths are excellent lower down

DSC04461.JPG
Looking down to Glen cottage

DSC04463.JPG
Maol Chaon Dearg starting to rise above Poll Dubh

DSC04464.JPG
The road twisting back down the Glen

DSC04465.JPG

Stoping only very briefly to take pics good progress was being made looking
back down I could see 2 more walkers starting their ascent also
There was also 2 other cars already there when I had arrived

DSC04471.JPG
Looking back along the crags just before hitting the clag

Once into the clag I took the turn right just before reaching the ridge proper I met a walker
who was heading down saying he did not want to risk it in the clag :o
at the ridge cairn there was 2 bags lying so I assume they were away along to Stuc a Choire Dhuibh Bhig
being in the thick clag I knew there would be no views from there so just turned left towards Spidean a Choire Leith
It was a case of just blindly walking along checking bearings frequently
but the path was also wet after the rain so care was taken :wink:
You will notice from my pics I had no dogs with me ,it was not because it was Laithach
but Jake and 3 nails down to the quick after 3 day on the Torridon sandstone there abrasive qualities
had taken there toll :(
After what seemed forever in the clag I reached the cairn on Spidean the wind was also picking up now aswell

DSC04489.JPG
Spidean a Choire Leith summit

Just stopped for a summit pic and set off along towards the Am Fasarinen Pinnicles

DSC04490.JPG
The path ahead

The path was actually easy to follow as when you came to rocks there was plenty crampon marks to follow
so was soon at the start on the Pinnicles ,what I done was leave my bag here to go over the pinnicles
then come back along the bypass to check it out for another day with the dogs
On the pinnicles the wind was blowing quite hard and making a fair noise I would love to had seen the views
and what was below me but this was not to be ,so just continued along blindly to the end and the returned
for my bag at the start again :crazy:
I then set off back along the bypass to make towards Mullach an Rathain from the bypass I was getting some
slight views but one thing I did notice that there was no wind and in the clag it was deathly silent

DSC04496.JPG
Glen cottage below

DSC04497.JPG
Down the Glen road

DSC04499.JPG
Looks like Andy Capp in the clag Lol

Once back at the end of the bypass the walking is the nice and easy to make the summit of Mullach an Rathain
again nothing to see so just a quick pic and head of to start the descent

DSC04500.JPG
Summit of Mullach an Rathain

The descent pass is fairly eroded in parts but work must be in progress here as there was large builders tubs
at the side of the path

DSC04503.JPG
Descent back to the road

I passed a walker who was on the ascent to Mullach for an overnight camp as he said the following day
was for clear and sunny conditions sods law as I was heading home early next day

DSC04505.JPG
Head of Loch Torridon

DSC04508.JPG
Blue sky all around but Laithach still in clag weird taken from the road at the end

DSC04521.JPG
This photo was taken at 6.20pm from across the loch strangely Laithach is still shrouded in clag

The following are some pics take the morning after as we were leaving and some the evening before
Torridon at it best just stunning part of our great country

DSC04523.JPG

DSC04517.JPG

DSC04515.JPG

DSC04514.JPG

DSC04510.JPG
Attachments
DSC04493.JPG
Some of the bypass path snaking in and out the Pinnicles
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: Time For Liathach

Postby nrj145 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:15 am

Hi James

Those were our bags you saw! you must have overtaken us whilst we were at the eastern top.

Your pics are very similar to my own and i had been going to post a report commenting on the path but no need now. We opted out of doing the pinnacles on the basis that we could not see far enough to make sure we were safe. Very frustrating about that lone cloud hovering around the tops all day.

Cheers

Neil
nrj145
Mountaineer

Munros:171   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:11

Postby old danensian » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:10 pm

Hi James

Yes, it was me you chatted with at the bottom of Liathach on Saturday morning - hope the photos I've posted of my trip on a stunning day don't rub salt into your cloudy wounds.

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:33 pm

nrj145 wrote:Hi James

Those were our bags you saw! you must have overtaken us whilst we were at the eastern top.

Your pics are very similar to my own and i had been going to post a report commenting on the path but no need now. We opted out of doing the pinnacles on the basis that we could not see far enough to make sure we were safe. Very frustrating about that lone cloud hovering around the tops all day.

Cheers

Neil

Hi Neil yes it was a big pity it just never cleared even the pic I took at 6.20 that evening
showing only Laithach still in a cloud

old danensian wrote:Hi James

Yes, it was me you chatted with at the bottom of Liathach on Saturday morning - hope the photos I've posted of my trip on a stunning day don't rub salt into your cloudy wounds.

OD

What a day you got for your walk the following day your pics only stand
to lure me back again
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby Petr Dakota » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:44 pm

We had similar "views" visibility from Liathach, just more lucky on the beginning - clear views before the weather changed... well done James to complete the giants of Torridon :clap: :clap: :clap:
the remaining two munros from the other side you can keep for the right time - I did them in winter conditions and the snow made it great.

I have almost the same shot like yours photo "The path ahead" :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby jamesb63 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:13 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:We had similar "views" visibility from Liathach, just more lucky on the beginning - clear views before the weather changed... well done James to complete the giants of Torridon :clap: :clap: :clap:
the remaining two munros from the other side you can keep for the right time - I did them in winter conditions and the snow made it great.

I have almost the same shot like yours photo "The path ahead" :D

The remaining 2 in the snow sounds great if a clear day :lol: :lol: so I can see all I missed
You pic and mine "The Path Ahead " are so uncannily alike :crazy:
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland