walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Am Faochagach

Am Faochagach

Postby sid0995 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:42 am

Route description: Am Faochagach

Munros included on this walk: Am Faochagach

Date walked: 09/06/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our plan was to tackle the Beinn Dearg quad but the foul weather encouraged us to lower our sights and get Am Faochagach nearby out of the way. It was to be a wet one!
Reasonably late start for today at around 1000hrs in the car park. A few cars there but only us heading in the direction of our chosen munro, others saying in the car park if was one to stay clear of in conditions such as today. Not to be put off we cracked on!
1 Car Park.jpg

Over the fence and following a boggy track went Andy, Isis the Rottie and me. Sure enough after about 1km the healthy flowing river was in play, with Isis looking across with reservations.
2 Isis at the river.jpg

Socks, boots and trousers off and across. Well that was me anyway! Unfortunately Andy had the undecided Isis to steer over in front of him and now and again she would hard back pulling him in one direction and another. Its out of your hands when a 50kg dog has you on a lead!
3 River crossing.jpg

So after 15 minutes of safe crossing finding we were all across. Andy stated he was 90% going to turn back, the 10% that kept him involved was down to the fact Isis never pulled him into the water. Long old walk soaking..
Following the track to the east of Allt na h-Uidhe is easy, if a little boggy. A couple of kms of ascent and we hit the track descending from Stron Liath. Isis did a victory roll.
4 Allt na h-Uidhe.jpg

5 Isis roll.jpg

A straight forward bend round to the north east in the clag and we trooped up the boulders on the final push to the summit.
6 Boulders on ascent.jpg

7 In the clag.jpg

Explained on walk highlands is the fact views are limited due to the mounded top, today on the summit views were extremely limted.
8 Am Faochagach summit.jpg

I hate to say this but this walk for us on this day was simply a tick in the box due to conditions but as in most walks the potential was there for excellent extensions to this simple up and down, with views down towards Loch Viach to the east.
9 Towards Loch Viach.jpg

It didn't take us long to squidge back down to Loch a Gharbhrain. This photo pre river crossing with the Beinn Dearg group in the background.
10 Loch with Beinn Dearg.jpg

The height of the river certainly had subsided in the few hours since we went up but by then we never cared so just ploughed through as you do. Certainly take crocs and black bags on this walk if doing it.
11 River way back.jpg

12 Knee deep.jpg

And that was Am Foachagach.
13 Near car park.jpg
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Re: Am Faochagach

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:49 am

Wow - I'd have baulked at crossing that river - looks scary - was fine when we crossed it - managed to get across completely dry - was in May a couple of years back.

Love the pic of the victory roll by Isis! :lol: I think if the hill had been much claggier it would have been difficult navigating to the summit. I found it quite a nice hill though as it was stressless! :D
mountain coward

Postby sid0995 » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:57 am

Hi MC,
I crossed just where you see Isis looking over, bad move! Soaked undergarments that had to be jettisoned! Didn't appreciate the force of flow around the rocks! :lol:
It is a nice hill that doesn't command real exursion you are right, not a soul on it yesterday! spooky!
sid0995
Mountain Walker

Munros:152   Corbetts:11
Fionas:1   

Postby mountain coward » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:15 pm

Ah - it was so funny crossing the river you wet your knickers? :lol:

I get quite used to bumbling around in the mist on hills on my own... not to say I like it though!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland