walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Madness of the Monar 8 - a Dooterbang and Jaxter special

The Madness of the Monar 8 - a Dooterbang and Jaxter special

Postby Jaxter » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:14 pm

Route description: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich and Lurg Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich, Lurg Mhòr, Maoile Lunndaidh, Moruisg, Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Tharsuinn, Sgùrr nan Ceannaichean

Date walked: 18/06/2016

Time taken: 17 hours

Distance: 43 km

Ascent: 4300m

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Following my promotion by Captain Bang to First Officer Jaxter, another adventure was in order. As the weather in the north west seemed to be looking best, yet again, a plan was hatched... It was time for a biggie, Dooter-style! Planning was done, a route was devised and come Friday evening we packed a lot of stuff and 2 bikes into a tiny car in the rain and hit the road :D

Other than the predictable Friday evening traffic around Stirling :roll: we had a good trip up. An eclectic mix of Peppe Deluxe, Flight of the Conchords, Zero 7 and Blondie accompanied us to Inverness for a quick food stop and then along the road to Craig where the midgey welcoming committee was out in full force to greet us :crazy:

Midge nets on and spray cans of repellent at the ready we quickly got stuff together for the morning, put the tent up and dived in. I barely made it into my sleeping bag before falling asleep but it turned out that Doots had been kept awake most of the night by an owl... :lol:

The alarm went off at 5 the next morning; we hurriedly dressed and got everything possible ready in the tent before venturing outside. Grabbing packs and bikes, we made a dash for it in an attempt to leave the swarms of midges behind.

Today’s Mission Impossible: trying to keep up with Dooter-pace on a bike :lol:
ImageDSC00373

The initial cycle was tough; steep up on a bumpy track. It turned out it was extra hard for me as I'd had a brain malfunction and turned my gear lever the wrong way - I was in gear 7 instead of 1....once this was sorted I made much better progress, at least managing to keep Super-Dooter in sight :lol: We passed through the gate and could see the track stretching out....downhill....this was not such good news for later on as we had thought it would be a free-wheel back to the tent. Still, on we went, eventually reaching a wire bridge where we dumped the bikes and crossed the river.

As if river crossings weren’t scary enough already :lol:
ImageDSC00377

Heading uphill on a vague path, we were thrilled to be finally midge free and heading uphill for our first target, the bealach Bhearnais. As it turned out, we weren't really heading there at all...we came over a crest and saw a much better and easier path heading up far below us. Our bearing had been good but we had left the main track too early (we discovered later that we should have continued to the 2nd wire bridge :roll: ) so we had been heading up Sgurr na Feartaig! Still, a bit of extra ascent never hurt anyone, right.... :lol:

As we met the path we also met 2 walkers with dogs who were planning to climb the 6 munros....that was until we pointed out that Bidean an Eoin Deirg was only a top :lol: Continuing onwards, we followed a vague path up to the top of Beinn Tharsuinn, our first summit of the day! From this Corbett, the magnificence of Bidein a’Choire Sheasgaich was revealed, alongside a view of the first half of our walk. Dropping off the summit to get out of the wind, we had a quick refuel.

“Hey Jaxter why don’t you stand on the end of that big drop” :shock:
ImageDSC00390

Ahead to Sheasgaich
ImageDSC00391

The route ahead… :shock:
ImageDSC00392

As we descended to the bealach we checked out our route up the impenetrable looking face of Cheesecake - there were a couple of gullies that looked doable and once we got there the path confirmed this. Excited to be scrambling again (but trying not to look down) we fired up the gullies and reached the final pull to the summit, passing a couple of tiny lochans on the way. It was an unbelievable view and we stopped to enjoy it for a few minutes.

The final ascent
ImageP1090312

Blocking the view
ImageDSC00400

And the more traditional poses
ImageDSC00404

ImageDSC00406

Panorama from the top

Knowing we had a long way to go, we followed the ridge down and along to the impressive looking Lurg Mhor, which was looking stunning in the sunshine.
ImageDSC00407

From the summit of Lurg Mhor, we could see this ridge stretching ahead
ImageDSC00408

We refuelled on protein bars and checked the route. Eyeing up the awesome looking ridge, we were thrilled when we realised that this was our route! The two men and two dogs caught us up here and decided to follow us. They may have regretted this later, but to begin with the ridge was a joy! We elected to scramble along the top of the ridge but there were a few moments where we had to backtrack and drop down a little as we were halted by sheer drops. Reaching the Munro top, we checked the map and started heading down very steep pathless ground.

“look, nae hands!”
ImageP1090318

This was tricky, but we carefully made our way down to the side of a gully. Looking ahead, the gully looked a safer option and Doots even thought he could see a path. Dropping down into the gully, the ground was very slippy and unstable with rocks sliding around. It was a case of find your own route; every man for himself here. There was plenty of bum-shuffling and a few wee wobbles.

Eventually a choice was before us; continue to the left on more of the shingly slippy stuff or head right to pick a way around rocky crags. The other 2 went left but we opted to go right - plenty of things to stop a slip seemed preferable to a potential slide all the way to ground zero... :shock:

Our route was by no means easy, and there were a couple of dodgy moments but coming out at a stream we could see that the worst was over. We had a nice long drink and refilled our various water vessels before continuing down steep but slightly firmer grassy ground to the river, crossed without incident and paused on the other side.

Looking back up – doesn’t do it justice at all!!
ImageDSC00411

The others had come out further East but we were heading for the left hand side of Sgurr na conbhaire, the steep obstacle ahead for a slightly less brutal climb back up to the ridge. The sun was hot and we were warm so stopped for a quick wardrobe change here - it was time to get the shorts and sun cream on and top up the tan 8) 8)

Refreshed, we made for a track which looked to be heading for the bealach and followed it around the base of the ridge for a short distance before turning right and heading straight uphill. Doots set the pace :shock: and we were making good progress. The sun was beating down and there was no breeze, but after the crazy descent we were so happy to be heading back uphill! However, I was in the presence of a legend and as such, began to fall behind a little... :roll:

Finally we were on the ridge and we stopped for a wee breather. A welcome can of Pepsi materialised and we enjoyed it alongside some chocolate. We could see the 2 Sgurrs ahead along a very welcome and pleasing looking ridge.
ImageDSC00412

Dooter-pose in front of the Sgurrs – is he looking a bit tired? :wink:
ImageDSC00416

Just chillin’ :wink:
ImageP1090321

Off we go! It’s a path so Jaxter is in the lead!
ImageDSC00417

We decided that we needed to be at the 2nd one by 4 to avoid running out of light. Easy peasy I said, and off we went. Two "men" on a mission and we managed to bag ourselves a brace of Sgurrs in under an hour :D :D

Sgurr Choinnich summit
ImageDSC00419

Incredible views of Torridon
ImageDSC00414

A 15 minute break was in order! I brought out my can of Pepsi this time and we shared that along with some chocolate. Photos were taken and we consulted the map for the route ahead.

The summit of Sgurr a’Chaorachain had us over the half-way point – summit 5 of 8!
ImageDSC00425

Jaxter’s second attempt – after falling off the trig the first time :lol:
ImageDSC00426

Doots demonstrating the art of balance (with the advantage of standing on 2 legs…)
ImageDSC00427

Panorama from the summit

The route ahead – Maoile Lunndaidh, with the munro top Bidean na Eoin Deirg pointing up on the right
ImageDSC00428

Fortunately the route was pretty obvious and we headed North before bearing East towards the bealach below Maoile Lunndaidh. There was a certain amount of bog hopping on our way down, not too much of a problem for me in my boots but Doots was being more of a pussy as he had his trail runners on :lol:

Towards the bealach
ImageP1090328

We stopped for a drink and refill at another waterfall before reaching the bealach where we met a guy heading in the opposite direction having been over Lunndaidh. He confirmed that the route was fine and mainly pathed, a relief for us as we must have crossed 3000m ascent barrier at around this point :shock:

Heading up Lunndaidh – nae path so Doots in the lead!
ImageDSC00429

The ascent to Maoile Lunndaidh was in three main sections - grassy/heathery with vague path, steep and loose rock, mainly pathed and the final part bouldery with little path. Once on the plateau it was a simple but lengthy (felt like it anyway!) walk over a few lumps and bumps to the 3rd and largest cairn. This was summit 6 of 8 so we sat a for a well-earned wee rest to devour some more calories.

The summit cairn, with the incredible Torridon skyline behind
ImageDSC00431

The Jaxter pose
ImageDSC00432

Very serious looking Dooter-pose
ImageDSC00433

Looking at the time, we reckoned we would be in trouble if we weren't back at the bikes in 4 hours. It looked doable....but then it all depended on how the big ascent up Moruisg was - an ascent of around 600m at the end of the day could be a killer... :shock:

Heading down…Moruisg and Ceannaichean ahead…
ImageDSC00434

Checking the map we headed off Maoile Lunndaidh; the route was fairly obvious and after climbing through a boulder field, route-finder Dooterbang found us a path that saw us all the way down to the river. It wasn't without excitement though - I fell on my ass on a patch of scree and Big Dooter had a knee incident.

Looking back up to Lunndaidh and the impressive coire
ImageP1090333

Moruisg and Ceannaichean
ImageP1090334

We had a refill at a stream before the final stretch, crossing the river and marching along the track to the big mess of rocks below the zig-zags which would take us up Moruisg.

Unfortunately we couldn't find any evidence of a path amongst this mass of detritus so instead of wasting time, we tanned a can of Lucozade between us and headed straight up, knowing we would meet the zig zags before long :D As it was, we met the path fairly soon and initially Doots set the pace, and a pretty impressive one at that given what we had already climbed. About half way up we switched over, me in front leading the way. It was tough work but we were in a good rhythm and before long we came out the top of the steep section feeling much better than either of us expected to

The final grassy pull was reached and the path disappeared which gave Doots the advantage as we pushed on. This was reminding me of the final ascent to Fionn Beinn from 3 weeks ago - soft, grassy, never-ending, but finally, just as Doots was starting to pull away from me, the summit appeared, as did the wonderful evening panorama of Torridon.

ImageDSC00437

We had made it up Moruisg in less than an hour, pretty good going for two knackered bodies :lol: We were actually feeling amazing, so paused only to change into trousers as it was getting cold and a quick summit photo.

ImageDSC00443

ImageDSC00444

We had one more summit to reach before the return to the bikes - the Corbett Sgurr nan Ceannaichean, which at the time we weren't sure if it was a Corbett or a Munro top - the map and the instructions disagreed on this point! But we would climb it anyway as it looked a belter of a mountain :D

The final ascent, Sgurr nan Ceannaichean
ImageDSC00445

We marched off along the ridge, it was several kilometres to Ceannaichean and we were hoping to achieve it in under an hour. The ridge was an absolute joy and 45 minutes later we had made it to our final summit. 8 out of 8 for the team :clap: We had a quick pause as we felt we had deserved it. Taking in the awesomeness of the evening we could see most of our route and it looked (and felt) like a long way.

Victory!
ImageDSC00447

He definitely looks tired now… :lol:
ImageDSC00449

Panorama from the final summit

And it was far from over - checking the compass we headed off the summit hoping to meet up with another zig-zag path which would take us down to the bikes. Something didn't quite work out as we ended up descending steep grassy slopes before seeing the zig-zags way off to the left, but it got us down safely and quickly as well as allowing a stop at a water source. Reaching the track, we walked a short way along it to the bikes which were fortunately still there.

The midges were starting to appear now we were lower down, so coupled with the failing light, we downed a bottle of Irn Bru between us and jumped on the bikes.

Back at the bikes – Doots protecting his wee face :lol:
ImageP1090336

Although initially uphill, the cycle was great - a nice wee warm down for the legs which were surprisingly still feeling fabulous. From the gate it was a free wheel down to the tent; however the lack of visibility due to light and midge nets (as well as Doots non-existent front brake :shock: ) meant that we were a little cautious :wink:

Arriving back at base camp at 10.50, it was swarming with the most midges either of us had ever witnessed :shock: Grabbing a bag of food and some water, we dived into the tent. After the standard midge extermination and a bit of food, I was out like a light and not even the owl and a mysterious nocturnal sheep could keep Doots awake tonight :lol:

The next morning we took it a bit easier. After a few rain showers we got up, packed the car and headed to Tarvies for breakfast, where who should we meet but Scoob and Fi - the North-West of Scotland is a very small place!!

After a refuel (sausage, bacon and haggis roll for me, less exciting veggie option for Doots :wink: ) we headed down the road to Bruar, where we stretched our legs up the gorge walk before having an ice cream and returning home.

What a weekend!! Bring on the next adventure :D
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Re: The Madness of the Monar 8 - a Dooterbang and Jaxter spe

Postby kaye.cantlay » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:36 am

Nice one!
I set off from Craig just before 7 so was a bit behind you.
I think I saw your bikes near the wire bridge and left mine close by.
I just did the 2 Corbetts (Tarsuinn and Feartaig) and the 3 Munros (Sgurrs and Lundaidh), but felt sure it would have been possible to do Cheesecake and Lurg Mohr too....
I wish I had now!
kaye.cantlay
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:158   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:205
Wainwrights:214   Islands:60

Postby Guinessman » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:34 am

Epic adventure. That zig zag path up Moruisg is one of the best in the Highlands for height gain
Guinessman
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:52
Fionas:27   Donalds:89
Hewitts:142
Wainwrights:214   Islands:15

Postby dooterbang » Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:39 am

Great report young pretender :wink:

That was certainly one big challenge of a day, but we kept each other going to the very end :)

Thank goodness for the mix of path & pathless terrain ;)

Looking forward to the next "biggie", as I'm sure you are ;)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby jackfrost » Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:17 pm

What an epic day, you are clearly mental

That is some amount of ascent in one hot day.

Did you not go over Bidean an Eoin Deirg? Looks like a good connecting ridge from SaC.
jackfrost
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:188
Fionas:37   Donalds:61
Sub 2000:40   Hewitts:22
Wainwrights:25   Islands:38

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:36 pm

Thats a fair bag ..respect :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby rockhopper » Tue Jun 21, 2016 11:43 pm

Madness - definitely the right word for it :wink:

Wouldn't catch me doing long days like this - oh to be young and fit enough to manage them though :roll:

As mentioned elsewhere, a couple of cyborgs :lol: - cheers :)
rockhopper

Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby old danensian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:32 pm

Informative, entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable - and the walk must have been good as well

Congratulations on maintaining the theme throughout - looking forward to the sequels - or even prequels

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby old danensian » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:37 pm

Whoops - right comment to wrong report - but still a fantastic trip well described - I'm currently wondering how to tackle this group but suspect older legs will have to break them down into separate trips

OD
old danensian

Munros:282   Corbetts:101
Donalds:9
Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:151   

Postby malky_c » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:36 pm

Christ that's a long day - but great conditions :D . I see Dooterbang has gone from not bagging to bagging again in a pretty spectacular fashion :wink:
malky_c

Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby ancancha » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:54 pm

Nice 8 trekies :clap:
120 first officer :!: a galactic number if ever there was :wink:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby dooterbang » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:16 pm

old danensian wrote:Informative, entertaining and thoroughly enjoyable - and the walk must have been good as well

Congratulations on maintaining the theme throughout - looking forward to the sequels - or even prequels

OD
Ha ha, thanks Nigel...easily done to get reports mixed up ;)
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby Mrs Scoob » Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:32 pm

You two really are from another planet - that's madness indeed! :crazy: :lol:

Great to see you both, and looking incredibly fresh too :roll: Look forward to hearing of next adventures :thumbup:
Mrs Scoob
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:28
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:16 pm

Brilliant route, and what weather you had for it. And a big day - well done. :clap: :clap: :clap:

But what really blew me away was sunset pic 437 - absolutely fabulous!

How long can this weather continue..???
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby dav2930 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:50 pm

Cripes :shock:
I don't think it would ever have entered my head to attempt all those in a single day - not even when I was young and reasonably fit! How you managed to keep up those smiling poses I'll never know! :lol:

Quite an achievement both of you, and some cracking photos too :clap: :clap: :clap:
dav2930
Ambler

Munros:244   Corbetts:14
Fionas:18   Donalds:56
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:164
Wainwrights:214   Islands:2

31 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland