walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

carn mor dearg Arete

carn mor dearg Arete

Postby katiebryso » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:26 am

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Càrn Mòr Dearg Arête

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis, Càrn Mòr Dearg

Date walked: 25/05/2010

Time taken: 9 hours

Distance: 19 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

thoroughly enjoyable day but hard, weather was superb, clear and bright. there wasn't much left in the tank upon summitting. beats doing the tourist route.
Attachments
P1070126.JPG
Getting psyched up for the Arete
P1070143.JPG
katiebryso
Munro compleatist

Munros:44   
Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Re: carn mor dearg Arete

Postby Wanderlust » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:59 pm

This is the connoiseur's route to Ben Nevis, looks like you had a nice day for it. :)

Just noticed, on the date that you did this walk (25 May) I was on the Aonachs, probably around the same time that you were on the Arête.
Wanderlust

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:4   Donalds:3
Hewitts:79
Wainwrights:131   

Postby Jock McJock » Thu Jun 10, 2010 12:42 pm

Hi there, will be heading up there in August and doing the Arete. How did you find it? My partner has agreed to go with me but she is not too sure about it from the pics I have shown her. How is the exposure on the Arete itslef?
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby nic243 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Hi

I am planning to climb Ben Nevis via Tower Ridge with some friends and was wondering how possible it is to do the Carn Mor Dearg Arete going from Ben Nevis to CMD? All the routes I can find start on CMD!
nic243

Munros:217   Corbetts:22
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:1   

Postby HighlandSC » Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:24 pm

nic243 wrote:I am planning to climb Ben Nevis via Tower Ridge with some friends and was wondering how possible it is to do the Carn Mor Dearg Arete going from Ben Nevis to CMD? All the routes I can find start on CMD!

I recently read of the "Glencoe Mountaineer" doing that exact route, up Tower Ridge and down by the CMD Arete. The detail concentrates on the Tower Ridge ascent, but he mentions "a quick jog down the CMD" for his descent:
http://glencoemountaineer.blogspot.com/2010/06/dawn-solo-climb-of-tower-ridge.html
Last edited by HighlandSC on Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Cuillin » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:41 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Hi there, will be heading up there in August and doing the Arete. How did you find it? My partner has agreed to go with me but she is not too sure about it from the pics I have shown her. How is the exposure on the Arete itself?

Can only relate my own experience of doing the CMD arete and in summer with no high winds, I found it to pretty straightforward with only one bit later on where there was a wee bit of easy scrambling to be had. If your partner suffers in any way from vertigo it might not be the best choice though. It is quite a big walk and fitness is important due to the steep ascent onto Carn mor Dearg and again up to the Ben summit. You'll enjoy it and I'm sure you'll break your camera with all the pics you'll take!
Cuillin

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby Paul Webster » Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:29 pm

I'd echo Cuillin. No reason at all why you can't do the route in reverse, though you might meet more people coming the other way along the arete. The real challenge is that this is a long, big mountain day requiring good fitness (and careful navigation if the clouds are down)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the advice Cuillin and Paul, much appreciated.

Paul Webster wrote: (and careful navigation if the clouds are down)

Is that a dig at my last walk report Paul? :lol:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby Cuillin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:34 am

JockMcJock, I've just realised that you wanted to do the route in reverse i.e. anti-clockwise

Doing this would much reduce the enjoyment of the walk, as seeing the magnificent sweep of the CMD arete with the north face cliffs on your right while you walk is what it's all about. Do a couple of big walks beforehand with 1,000+m ascent, then pick a good day with fine visibility and low winds and you will love it, although this kind of weather on the Ben can be elusive!
Cuillin

Fionas:219   Donalds:31
Sub 2000:62   

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:49 am

No Cuillin, always planned to do it in the clockwise direction, like you say that's what its all about. Thanks for the advice though. As for the weather will just have to pray it's good. Planning the walk for 24th August at the moment as part of a week away. I check the Nevis sport web cam every day though and 9 times out of 10 can't even see the Ben!! :lol: Fingers crossed :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Postby HighlandSC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:21 pm

Think there's 2 conversations going on in here :? It's nic243 that is going anti-clockwise, up Tower and down CMD.
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby Milesy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:56 pm

nic243 wrote:Hi

I am planning to climb Ben Nevis via Tower Ridge with some friends and was wondering how possible it is to do the Carn Mor Dearg Arete going from Ben Nevis to CMD? All the routes I can find start on CMD!

Totally possible. However getting of the plateau can be incredibly difficult in bad weather or cloud and you need to have someone who is competent at navigation to get you down onto the arete safely. Many north face mountaineers descend to the start of the Arete before dropping down into Coire Leis to get back to the north face after an ascent.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby Milesy » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:00 pm

Jock McJock wrote:Hi there, will be heading up there in August and doing the Arete. How did you find it? My partner has agreed to go with me but she is not too sure about it from the pics I have shown her. How is the exposure on the Arete itslef?

It is fairly exposed. More so on a clear day I would say where as mist or cloud would hide the exposure lol. It is less steep on the left hand side so you can walk down the left a little rather than directly on the top to lessen the exposure.
Milesy
Stravaiging

Postby SnookieC » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:23 pm

I am looking at doing Ben Nevis in August. I am definitely an amateur but would like to do this route instead of the 'tourist route'. I am concerned it may be beyond me. I have just 'climbed' Snowdon via Crib Goch then down the pyg track last weekend in perfect conditions, it took a very leisurely 6 hours. The route was ok nothing to hard apart from the nerves on the arête. Please could someone advise me how this route up Ben via CMD compares or am I advised to take the soft option?.
Thanks in advance for any advice or tips. Regards, Iain
SnookieC
Hill Bagger

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Jul 14, 2010 8:33 pm

The Carn Mor Dearg Arete is easier on the nerves than Crib Goch :D But the whole walk is alot longer and more exhausting, and requires more navigation too :eh:. Didn't sound like Crib Goch was too tiring for you though.
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland