walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Walk with my boy Roan (9 years old)

Walk with my boy Roan (9 years old)

Postby allanroan » Mon Jun 27, 2016 11:15 am

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 25/06/2016

Time taken: 3.75 hours

Distance: 10.63 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

About time my boy and I went to walk some Munros, and after planning, we headed up late and went to the Ski Centre below Carn Aosda. Dur to thundery showers, we left the house at 1130hrs, drove up the M90, and got to the car park at 1320hrs.
Kit on, we set off and walked up to Carn Aosda, Roan was as usual, slow to begin, then when we reached the summit carin, he was happy, and the views were good. 8)
A quick snack and drink, then we headed towards Carn a Gheoigh. At the track junction with the loch on our right, I decided to skirt the hill side and gp ip to the cairn above the two lochans, the views were teriffic, but to the south were the dark clouds. A we got to the second lochan, I stopped to get a drink, cheched the map and made a compass bearing to Carn a Gheoidh. :shock: Thunder!! Roan got scared. We were only 1.5km appx to the next munro, Carn a Gheoidh. With possible lightning according to MWIS, I decided to retrace our steps to the track which goes to The Cairnwell. We swiftly skirted below any high ground and made it to the track. On our way we seen the Ptarmigan and two mountain hares :D
We decided to walk past the ski lifts to the top of the Cairnwell where Roan got his medal for his special achievement. This was Roans 4th Munro :clap: :clap:
IMG_5417 medal.JPG

His first munro was Ben Lomond on 9th November 2014, and Schihallion on 15th August 2015.
As we left the top of Cairnwell there was a big shower of sleet for 5-10 mins, we headed down past an emergency shelter, and as we went down past the hut and ski lifts we eat most of our jelly snakes, and was at the car park in no time.
At the car we eat some of our snacks, had my coffee. Roan told me he felt proud of his walk, I thought it was great for him to say that :lol:
We headed back home about 1745, and he fell asleep from Blairgowrie to home. He wanted chips for tea, and before we were at the house, we stopped off for chips :)
I look forward to our next walk in the Munros' next month on his school holidays.
Allan
allanroan
Munro compleatist

Munros:15   
Sub 2000:1   

Re: Walk with my boy Roan (9 years old)

Postby mrssanta » Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:16 pm

Well done Roan, and a good call to get away from the thunder.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Re: Walk with my boy Roan (9 years old)

Postby Alteknacker » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:27 pm

Great stuff Roan. I have something similar planned for my grandson - also 9 years old - for this summer. Not sure about a medal though...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland