walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An exhausting drive for Sgurr na Ciche

An exhausting drive for Sgurr na Ciche

Postby simon-b » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Route description: Sgùrr na Cìche: 3 Munros from Loch Arkaig

Munros included on this walk: Garbh Chioch Mhòr, Sgùrr na Cìche, Sgùrr nan Coireachan (Glen Dessary)

Date walked: 18/06/2016

Time taken: 9.5 hours

Distance: 27 km

Ascent: 1700m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Track_2016-06-18 170426.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

This was a walk I had pencilled in for Sunday 19 June, as I had the Saturday and Sunday nights booked in Corpach, and was planning to drive up from Yorkshire on Saturday. But Saturday's forecast turned out to be so much better than Sunday's. I had Friday off work, so I got packed and ready, and thought about driving up overnight. A mad idea? All the way from Wakefield to Fort William, and then that drive along the notorious Loch Arkaig road. I then heard from Andy (AJNicholls), telling me he'd had a similar idea, and was going to drive from Bristol to Torlundy to catch the good weather, and climb Ben Nevis via CMD. Well, if he could do that... So I went to bed on Friday afternoon, then got up, loaded the car, and set off at about 10:50pm.

It was quite an experience, just two nights before midsummer, seeing dawn break in the very early hours as I drove through Dumfries and Galloway. It was a beautiful, sunny morning when I approached Fort William, and pulled in for a last rest, ready to take on that 'interesting' Loch Arkaig road. I reached the car park at the head of the loch at 7:10 am, and all the delineated spaces were already taken! But I managed to park on a verge, and set off walking along Glen Dessarry.

IMG_2114.JPG
Streap and Sgurr Thuilm from Glen Dessarry

I felt just fine walking along the glen, and not at all sleepy. I encountered a group of women who were wild camping, and attempting the same route as me in reverse. Then I reached the place to strike right and uphill towards Sgurr nan Coireachan. It was a steep, relentless ascent, and now I began to feel the effects of that overnight drive. But glorious weather and lovely views compensated.

IMG_2126.JPG
Glen Dessarry in retrospect

I met a walker coming downhill; it seemed a bit early for him to be descending, I thought. Eventually the gradient eased as I drew near to the top of the day's first Munro.

IMG_2130.JPG
Sgurr Mor seen when approaching Sgurr nan Coireachan

Arriving at the summit, I gazed towards the next two targets. They looked magnificent, and also challenging.

IMG_2132.JPG
Garbh Chioch Mhor, Sgurr na Ciche and Knoydart hills from Sgurr nan Coireachan

There was quite a drop to the first bealach, then a steep, rough pull up towards Garbh Chioch Bheag. The ridge was rocky and undulating with a few false summits, and quite energy sapping. In time Garbh Chioch Bheag was reached, then I made my way towards its bigger neighbour. The two Munros I was approaching looked extremely impressive and rugged.

IMG_2140.JPG
Moving towards Garbh Chioch Mhor and Sgurr na Ciche

IMG_2147.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche seen when approaching Garbh Chioch Mhor

IMG_2149.JPG
Moving towards Garbh Chioch Mhor

On top of Garbh Chioch Mhor, I met three Dutchmen. The walker I'd encountered earlier was their friend, and had given up. They said this was their first time in Scotland, and these were their first Munros. This seemed an interesting choice, I thought; certainly a good one, but perhaps not the most obvious.

IMG_2152.JPG
Looking east from Garbh Chioch Mhor

IMG_2155.JPG
Loch Nevis from Garbh Chioch Mhor

IMG_2156.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche from Garbh Chioch Mhor

Next I descended to the bealach, Feadan na Ciche, ready to take on the day's highest hill.

IMG_2158.JPG
Sgurr na Ciche from Feadan na Ciche

It was a steep, rocky climb to the summit, and well worth it. My Munros 271 to 273 were now conquered. Looking west, I could see the mountains of Knoydart and Skye, both places where I was soon to be with friends from WH, taking the score to 280.

IMG_2159.JPG
Loch Nevis from Sgurr na Ciche

IMG_2160.JPG
Loch Quoich from Sgurr na Ciche

IMG_2167.JPG
Garbh Chioch Mhor, Gulvain and Ben Nevis from Sgurr na Ciche

Quite a few people were out on these remote hills on this day, making the best of the weather. After taking in the superb views, I made my way back down to Feadan na Ciche, and then a careful descent south-west down a gully.

IMG_2171.JPG
Looking back at the descent gully

Easier ground was then reached, and I struck a course south-east to pick up the path back to Glen Dessarry.

IMG_2173.JPG
Returning towards Glen Dessarry

In the glen, I chose to return by the lower route alongside the river. This was a pleasant woodland walk, but a long way back!

IMG_2176.JPG
Arriving back at Loch Arkaig

Back at the car, I set off to drive to Corpach. In their route description for this walk, WH say, "If you have to drive back out along Loch Arkaig, take care as you are certain to be exhausted." How did they know I was going to drive all the way there from Wakefield overnight before starting?
Last edited by simon-b on Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: An exhausting drive for Sgurr na Ciche

Postby AJNicholls » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:47 pm

Well done Simon. You can join me in the Obsessive Night Drivers Club now! :clap: I was even up at 2.30am this morning to get to the hills again too. :)

Looks like you had a good day for it. Guess your big hat protected you from the sunburn I got on the CMD that day.
AJNicholls
Mountain Walker

Munros:182   Corbetts:11
Donalds:1
Hewitts:231
Wainwrights:214   Islands:3

Postby ancancha » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:19 am

A long drive, but your photos make it look so worth it :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby jupe1407 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:27 am

Great stuff Simon, especially the photos. Looks like you got the idea day for them :D
jupe1407
Mountain Walker

Munros:269   Corbetts:52
Fionas:12   
Sub 2000:7   
Islands:6

Postby Fife Flyer » Sun Jul 03, 2016 10:53 am

Great stuff Simon, looks like the drive was worth it to get those sort of views.
I saw diddly squat from all 3 summits so it is nice to see what I missed, what a difference a month or so can make, to think I was wading through deep snow high up & splashing through water lower down :(
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 03, 2016 1:19 pm

AJNicholls wrote:Well done Simon. You can join me in the Obsessive Night Drivers Club now! :clap: I was even up at 2.30am this morning to get to the hills again too. :)

Looks like you had a good day for it. Guess your big hat protected you from the sunburn I got on the CMD that day.

Cheers, Andy. Big hat and factor 25, big hills and lots of sun 8)

ancancha wrote:A long drive, but your photos make it look so worth it

Well worth it ancancha, even with frustrating night closures and diversions.

jupe1407 wrote:Great stuff Simon, especially the photos. Looks like you got the idea day for them

Thanks, JP. It's nice to hear that from a keen photographer when I was only clicking with my little pocket digital. Must have been an ideal day :D

Fife Flyer wrote:Great stuff Simon, looks like the drive was worth it to get those sort of views.
I saw diddly squat from all 3 summits so it is nice to see what I missed, what a difference a month or so can make, to think I was wading through deep snow high up & splashing through water lower down

Definitely a good route for good conditions, Martin! I hope you get a fine day on Mull.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Silverhill » Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:36 pm

Blimey Simon, you've already compleated! :shock: I look forward to reading the report. You've been ticking them off rather swiftly since last June!
The Glendesarry munros are awesome 8) . I need a second visit to actually see them, but I'm glad you got such good weather for them. :D
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby Scotjamie » Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:38 pm

Great report Mr B
Have been off-line for a while so didn't realise you'd compleated
Well done!!
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland