walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Wharfedale Three Peaks

Wharfedale Three Peaks

Postby Broggy1 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:44 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Birks Fell, Buckden Pike, Great Whernside

Date walked: 03/07/2016

Time taken: 5.35

Distance: 29.7 km

Ascent: 1288m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

A fairly big day around the Wharfedale version of the three peaks.

There are variations of this you could try as part of a challenge walk and you could of course add Yockenthwaite Moor to make this into a four peak challenge.....although the merits of any visit to Yockenthwaite have to be weighed up well in advance. Today had simply had too much rain in the lead up for me to even consider it.

Windy and cool but staying dry with occasional sunny periods.

1 Trig on Midlesmoor.JPG
Trig Point on Middlesmoor Pasture - a bit of a detour to get here but a worthwhile objective.

2 GW.JPG
Great Whernside across the valley - the weather looking decent.

3 Buckden.JPG
Buckden Pike higher up the valley

4 Ridge to Firth Fell.JPG
The ridge ahead to Firth Fell

5 Pen y Ghent.JPG
Looking over to Pen-y-ghent with the top of Ingleborough in view. Darker clouds suggested rain but it never got here.

6 Firth Trig.JPG
It had been a pleasant walk along a well graded ridge (with just a few wet spots) when I reached the Trig Point on Firth Fell.

7 Birks Fell.JPG
The highest point on Birks Fell is further along the ridge.

8 Descending to Buckden.JPG
Back on the good bridleway descending to Buckden. This is the route I took up Birks Fell last time and I enjoyed it - being a far less trodden hill than the pike.

9 Start of ascent.JPG
Starting the ascent of Buckden Pike. A very popular walk.

10 Yock Moor.JPG
Looking over to Yockenthwaite Moor which could conceivably be added to this walk.

11 Buckden Pike.JPG
Buckden Pike summit area

12 Memorial Cross.JPG
The Memorial further down the ridge

13 Wet.JPG
It gets very wet and muddy underfoot from here!

14 Little Whernside.JPG
Little Whernside - another wet and muddy place!

15 GW ahead.JPG
After crossing the road most the wet stuff is behind you and it's a short climb up to Great Whernside

16 Back to Bucky.JPG
Looking back at Buckden Pike

17 GW Summit.JPG
Great Whernside summit

18 Descent.JPG
The route down from Great Whernside via Hag Dyke has to be one of my favourite descents anywhere. Just lovely Dales walking.
Broggy1
Mountain Walker

Munros:111   Corbetts:19
Fionas:5   Donalds:20+7
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:274
Wainwrights:214   Islands:1

Re: Wharfedale Three Peaks

Postby ChrisW » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:06 pm

That's a fair old day Broggy and as a Leeds lad it's one that leaves me just a little homesick, I still find those vast expanses of open moorland irresistible....though some of those muddy hags...notsomuch :lol: :lol:

Great stuff mate :thumbup:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Re: Wharfedale Three Peaks

Postby trailmasher » Fri Jul 08, 2016 9:44 pm

Nice one Broggy and a big day out :clap: and the photos tell the story mate :) I shall be in that neck of the woods come August so this visual report very helpful 8) Thanks for sharing :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland