walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Plan B from Glen Shee.

Plan B from Glen Shee.

Postby mamoset » Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:46 pm

Route description: Glas Maol Munros circuit, Cairnwell Pass

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach, Glas Maol

Date walked: 07/06/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 700m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After the previous days exertions, my initial plan for today was to bike out from Linn of Dee and climb An Sgarsoch & Carn an Fhidhleir. The sorry state of my feet put paid to that idea. As it was another lovely morning, I patched my feet up and decided to do Creag Leacach, as it had defeated me last year in bad weather. Parked just past the Ski Centre, and set off up the track alongside the old ski lift.
IMG_9067.JPG
The Cairnwell.
It's a good path up here and I was soon passing the buildings and heading onto Meall Odhar.
IMG_9077.JPG
Creag Leacach from near Meall Odhar.
The path is easy to follow and soon has you heading onto Glas Maol.
IMG_9079.JPG
Path going up Glas Maol.
IMG_9081.JPG
Looking west.
IMG_9089.JPG
Glas Maol.
The views aren't exactly spectacular from here, but you get to see the Lochnagar & Cairngorm hills.
IMG_9090.JPG
To Cairn of Claise with Lochnagar hills beyond.
IMG_9091.JPG
Route to Creag Leacach.
IMG_9092.JPG
Looking to Glas Tulaichean.
IMG_9099.JPG
Cairngorms beyond Carn Aosda.
Unusually, there is a dry stone wall running across the top of Creag Leacach, the only one present for miles around :shock: The path runs alongside this and takes you to the summit :)
IMG_9109.JPG
The wall and Glas Maol.
IMG_9110.JPG
Creag Leacach.
I pretty much retraced my steps from here, though I skirted Glas Maol rather than going back to the summit :lol:
IMG_9112.JPG
Some of yesterdays hills.
As I was heading down, the rumbling of thunder could be heard again, so I was glad I did this short walk, because not 5 minutes after getting changed at the car, the heavens opened and the rain absolutely pelted down :lol: And with that cue, I headed off home, sore but happy :D
Last edited by mamoset on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: Plan B from Glen Shee.

Postby rockhopper » Mon Jul 11, 2016 12:55 pm

Enjoyed that and your previous day's report - great weather in which to spend a couple of days up here. So many options for combining the hills - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby simon-b » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:36 pm

It's good you managed to get this walk in, mamoset. Creag Leacach is a nice Munro. I had sore feet when I was on this range too, and that was also after walking in and around Glen Ey. The chemist's shop in Blairgowrie must sell a lot of Compeed.
Last edited by simon-b on Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:36 pm

Cheers rockhopper. Seems so long ago now, hoping the next few weeks bring more similar weather. 8)
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby mamoset » Tue Jul 12, 2016 8:39 pm

simon-b wrote:It's good you managed to get this walk in, mamoset. Creag Leacach us a nice Munro. I had sore feet when I was on this range too, and that was also after walking in and around Glen Ey. The chemist's shop in Blairgowrie must sell a lot of Compeed.

Thanks simon. I'm afraid I had to wait until I got home to plaster my feet up. Tesco's own Blister plasters are worth their weight in gold :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby Silverhill » Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:59 pm

A nice memory jogger this report! I did these hills two years ago but couldn't take any pictures because my camera had drowned in a heavy thunderstorm the previous day, having done the hills on the other side of Glen Shee. Never seen rain and hail like it. Sounds like you narrowly escaped a similar soaking :shock: .
I remember really enjoying the rocky ascent of Creag Leacach, especially where the ridge narrows and the wall skirts the steep corrie 8) .
Silverhill

Munros:282   Corbetts:27
Fionas:8   Donalds:42
Sub 2000:28   

Postby KatTai » Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm going to have to save this report for something to consider for myself! :clap: Sounds like it was a pretty good Plan B option to me :D
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland