walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

National 3 peak challenge

National 3 peak challenge

Postby Allan_ » Tue Jul 12, 2016 9:24 pm

Hello :wink:

So I've decided after getting surgery on my knee in February that I wanted something to challenge me for my return to fitness. I'm keen hill walker, just don't get out enough due to football commitments. Last year I done the WHW over 4 nights so this year I've decided the National 3 peak challenge will be my next adventure.

This is taking place at the end of August with my two brother with my dad driving us via a Motorhome.

My plan is to start Nevis at 6pm, hopefully be back down for 11.
Drive to Scafell Pike and start that at 5am, be back down for 9.
Drive to Snowdon and start at 1-2 and be back down for the 6 o'clock finish.

Obviously this is just a rough guide but was wondering if anyone has a better way of doing it?

And any other tips and advice with be greatly appreciated 8)
Allan_
Mountaineer

Munros:15   Corbetts:9
Fionas:8   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:3

Re: National 3 peak challenge

Postby Sgurr » Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:17 pm

This is just party-pooping. But a better way of doing it is NOT to do Scafell in the middle of the night. People there get fed up with challengers racing through with no discernible contribution to their economy. How about picking three OTHER peaks just to spread the load a little. Or four. You could pick the most northerly, easterly, westerly and southerly Munros. Ben Hope, Mount Keen, Sgurr na Bannadich and Ben Lomond. What is more, you might get to set the benchmark.

Sorry. This isn't much help is it?
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Fairweather Softie » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:28 pm

You could consider the way I did these 3 hills with a group of friends.

Started at Ben Nevis about 0900, I made it to the top in heavy snow and limited visibility, back down to pub, few beers, jumped into mini bus. Arrived in Carlise and had a great night out.

Set off after a full English breakfast, got lost on way to Scafell, but eventually got to hill, up and down with sunburn thrown in, went to pub at bottom for a few beers, drove to Llandudno had a great night out.

Set off after a terrible full welsh breakfast, arrived at Snowdon , walked up in really windy conditions, went into cafe at the top for a beer, back down and into minibus arrived in Blackpool and had a ARIGHT night out, forgot what the place was like.

Up next day and back to Glasgow.

Not really the type of challenge your looking for to get fit but your liver will get a good workout. :lol:
Fairweather Softie
Walker

Munros:220   Corbetts:6
Fionas:5   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:6

Postby Sunset tripper » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:21 am

I would do it the opposite way round if you can. Just so that you miss the traffic on the M6. Congestion on the roads is probably the biggest obstacle to doing it in 24 hours. Also plan your route on the roads through the lake district as the satnav will take you on a ridiculous route to Wasdale head (if that's where your starting the hill from) probably not suitable for a camper van.
Scafell pike is arguably the most difficult one to navigate in the dark.
All the best :D
Sunset tripper

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion