walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

First Munro

First Munro

Postby Jake the peg » Sat Jul 16, 2016 10:11 am

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 14/07/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After talking about doing a Munro for 2 years this is the year I decided to stop talking and start walking. So on a perfect sunny day in the school holidays we set off.
As we drove along the bottom road, looking up I thought I cant do this, never mind dragging an 8 yr old and an 11 yr old up, maybe we should just spend the day in Pitlochry! :lol:
However we were here we were going for it.
I found it hard to get going, we had quite a few 5 minute rests on the way, but we discussed how this wasn't a race, we were enjoying the views and we had all day.
image.jpeg

We didn't see any wildlife but saw a jet flying past which the boys were very excited by!
When we got to the false summit I thought I'd never get the kids to the top, but after a few encouraging words from other walkers on their way down and the promise of kitkats at the top we kept going, it was actually easier going up over the boulders than I thought it would be and the kids enjoyed that part.
image.jpeg

Once at the top the sense of achievement was fantastic, the kids were so pleased with themselves and Jake had an amazing walk, the views were amazing, it's so peaceful.
Can't wait to set off for our next one, hopefully this is a hobby I'll enjoy with my boys and Jake for years to come!
image.jpeg
Jake the peg
Mountaineer

Munros:7   Corbetts:1
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: First Munro

Postby Sgurr » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:04 pm

Was this your first Munro? Or theirs? Congrats to whoever.

It's always interesting to see what will excite your fellow walkers. Eagles....No! Jets.....Yes! We had a couple of Canadian exchange pupils staying with us once, by which time their exchange had gone off to Uni leaving me to deal with them. I took them round the Fife fishing villages thinking "they'll have nothing like that at home." It was only when they found a brake-pad on the beach and spotted a Reliant Robin (awesome :clap: ) that they perked up and I realised I should have taken them to watch the banger racing. All their other days were organised by the school, thank goodness.

With luck (not bad luck, I hope) a few helicopters will be circling your next hill.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Petr Dakota » Sat Jul 16, 2016 8:31 pm

Congratulations for your 1st Munro :clap:
I guess many more will follow now :wink:
All the best and enjoy the hillwalking !
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Andymac75 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:17 am

Welcome to the mountains.

They become addictive;)

It's **** down outside right now,and such not a good idea ,but.....

like I say ;... Addictive
Andymac75

Postby Jake the peg » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:18 pm

Sgurr wrote:Was this your first Munro? Or theirs? Congrats to whoever.

It's always interesting to see what will excite your fellow walkers. Eagles....No! Jets.....Yes! We had a couple of Canadian exchange pupils staying with us once, by which time their exchange had gone off to Uni leaving me to deal with them. I took them round the Fife fishing villages thinking "they'll have nothing like that at home." It was only when they found a brake-pad on the beach and spotted a Reliant Robin (awesome :clap: ) that they perked up and I realised I should have taken them to watch the banger racing. All their other days were organised by the school, thank goodness.

With luck (not bad luck, I hope) a few helicopters will be circling your next hill.

:lol: :lol: yip everyone loves banger racing at Cowdy!

Thanks, yes it was first time for all of us, hoping to do the Cobbler next weekend, but weather not looking great and I've not done map reading yet or compass so need a bit of an education on it, it does scare me a bit being up there and getting lost, but certainly can't always wait for perfect sunny days in Scotland! :lol: :lol:
Jake the peg
Mountaineer

Postby Jake the peg » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Andymac75 wrote:Welcome to the mountains.

They become addictive;)

It's **** down outside right now,and such not a good idea ,but.....

like I say ;... Addictive

Thanks! Yes we have the bug for it now!
Jake the peg
Mountaineer

Postby Jake the peg » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:19 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Congratulations for your 1st Munro :clap:
I guess many more will follow now :wink:
All the best and enjoy the hillwalking !

Thanks!
Jake the peg
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland