walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

8 years without a Munro and then 3 come along at once

8 years without a Munro and then 3 come along at once

Postby nordika23 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 16/07/2016

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 14.32 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

It has been 8 years since I last climbed a Munro and it was high time I got back into it so armed with my daughter and her dog I aimed fairly low and took on these three hills at Glenshee.

The walk up to Carn Aosda was quite sharp and hard on calf muscles unused to steep gradients but it wasn't far and the summit is reached very quickly.

carn aosda.jpg
Golly's first Munro

We had lovely views from the top of the next two summits and set off with enthusiasm.

next stop.jpg
The Cairnwell on the left, Carn a'Geoidh on the extreme right

The walk to Carn a'Geoidh is quite tiring but the weather was being kind and although it was a little windy we made good time.

On the way up the Cairnwell however the wind really picked up. We heard it before it hit us and we struggled to keep upright at times. It wasn't really gusting, just blowing steadily and hard. We sadly weren't able to get past the cairn to see the views down the Glen, it simply wasn't safe.

braced.jpg
Braced at the top of The Cairnwell

Despite that we thoroughly enjoyed our day and I was very pleasantly surprised at how well I felt afterwards.
nordika23
Mountaineer

Munros:49   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:16

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland