walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Facing fears up Ben Vorlich

Facing fears up Ben Vorlich

Postby Kmdow » Thu Jul 21, 2016 9:41 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 10/07/2016

Time taken: 3 hours

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Somehow I always choose the most miserable days to head out! Nevertheless my mum and I enjoyed a good treck up Ben Vorlich.

We followed the detailed route description from the site, however the rouge sheep and wild horses were failed to be mentioned! I am a bit if a wimp and horses and sheep scare me a little (a lot) so I was extremely proud of myself for passing through a field that homed both of these wild beasts :thumbup:

After all of the dramatics we carried on following the path and made our way up! Unfortunately due to the conditions we couldn't make our way over to Stuc a'Chroin, visibility was awful so we decided it would be too dangerous to carry on. However, it does give us the excuse to go back!

On the way down we passed a man who was determined to get the rest of his family up to the summit and was asking if there was a pub up the top (if only), whoever you are I hope you made it and had a well deserved pint afterwards!

IMG_4187.jpg
Stand off with the wild beasts

IMG_4189.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg
Looking down on Loch Earn

IMG_4197.jpg
Enjoying some lunch with some shelter from the wind
Kmdow

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

Re: Facing fears up Ben Vorlich

Postby matt_outandabout » Fri Jul 22, 2016 8:37 pm

Well done on turning round when you are not comfortable with the conditions :clap:
matt_outandabout
Wanderer

Munros:81   Corbetts:29
Fionas:22   Donalds:26
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:191
Wainwrights:176   Islands:30

Re: Facing fears up Ben Vorlich

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 23, 2016 6:30 pm

Sounds like you had the same sort of view I did! but it gives a reason to return. I didn't go on to Stuc a'Chroin either given I couldn't even see the mountain!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland