walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Schiehallion

Schiehallion

Postby Kmdow » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:15 pm

Route description: Schiehallion

Munros included on this walk: Schiehallion

Date walked: 17/07/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Sunday seems to be the day for me and my mum to carry out our Munro adventures and on this Sunday we took a trip up Schiehallion. One of my friends had done this walk a few weeks ago and it was all blue skies and a shining sun... this was no the case for us, the waterproofs and spare socks were packed once again.

I was delighted when I seen the public toilets when we arrived at the car park! :thumbup: But it was also nice to see that the car park was so busy with plenty of people bustling about, we got chatting to a couple of guys who informed us that there was a charity comedy gig happening at the summit with some Schiehallion beer on offer! Surely this had to be a wind up?

A great walk with stunning views before we were in the clouds, this is where it started to get tough, with the huge boulders under foot made for a slow approach the the summit, but there WAS beer! :D we enjoyed our lunch under the shelter from the huge boulders with 15+ other people who were glad to see the site of a beer after the treck.

However it was absolutely baltic with the wind almost blowing us over and it seemed the funny guys hadn't arrived yet so unfortunately we couldn't stay for the gig, but what an amazing idea and for a great cause.

The descent proved quite difficult for the mother and I... my mum managed to injure her knee and after a long run the day before my shin splints had made an appearance :thumbdown: but we made it down safely with no trips or falls!

IMG_4284.jpg
Battling the winds

IMG_4285.jpg
A busy hill!

IMG_4307.jpg
My face most of the way up...

IMG_4291.jpg
Mum at the top

IMG_4292.jpg
Me at the top

IMG_4308.jpg
My wee mammy on the way down
Kmdow

Munros:18   Corbetts:1
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:12   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland