walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Outlands 2016 (Day 2) - Tryfan and the Glyders

Outlands 2016 (Day 2) - Tryfan and the Glyders

Postby Graeme D » Wed Jul 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Hewitts included on this walk: Glyder Fach, Glyder Fawr, Tryfan, Y Garn (Glyders)

Date walked: 03/07/2016

Time taken: 7.5

Distance: 10.5 km

Ascent: 1285m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After yesterday on the Snowdon Horseshoe, another fine evening was had in the Bryn Tyrch Inn, including the comical penalty shoot out of the Italy-Germany quarter final and the quiz, won by Together Stronger, fighting off the lacklustre competition provided by the Young Ladies, the Tryfannies and God Bless R Souls.

Most folks were making tracks for home on the Sunday morning but I had a pass out until Wednesday. Tryfan and the Glyders were high on the to-do list and Hugh was also keen to do this before heading back north that evening. We bade farewell to those about to head home and headed ourselves for Llyn Ogwen and the foot of Tryfan.

Kissing gate at the start

There were plenty cars parked up along the roadside but other than one other chap on his own, we appeared to be the only people picking our way up the shattered craggy face of Tryfan. The initial ascent is straight up, no concession to a gentle ease in. In terms of a route up, sketchy would best describe it, non existent would be more apt. I guess any official guides would simply suggest going up by whichever means seems appropriate!

Llyn Ogwen

No Pyg Track for Hugh today

Hands were being fully occupied and a bit of backtracking took place every so often, most notably when Hugh lost a personal battle with a tree, but otherwise good progress was made. We failed to find the so called "Cannon" at close quarters but enjoyed epic views across to Y Garn and over to the Carneddau.

Hugh doing a spot of extreme tree doctoring

Back down to the eastern end of Llyn Ogwen

Pen yr Ole Wen across Llyn Ogwen

A riot of shattered rock

Hugh arsing around in another chimney

Don't know if this is "the" Cannon but it sure looks like a cannon to me

Our route towards the summit seemed to actually take us round behind the summit itself, so eventually we reached the boulder strewn summit from the rear, after passing a group of three Eastern European sounding chaps who seemed to be making excessively hard work of things. A surprising number of people were already sitting around enjoying the fine weather and a bite to eat. A couple of young guys were sizing up Adam and Eve, one of them eventually clambering up but deciding against the leap from one to the other. Once he came down, I clambered up myself but reached a similar decision about the wisdom of leaping across the gap.

Glyder Fach and Glyder Fawr

Would you Adam and Eve it!!!???

Back down from atop Adam (or Eve)

Y Garn and the northern Glyderau

After a bite to eat ourselves and a while simply sitting and taking it all in, we headed off towards Glyder Fach, home of the legendary Cantilever Stone. We had gotten a good view from Tryfan of Bristly Ridge and as we descended into the bealach between Tryfan and Glyder Fach, Bristly Ridge rose up intimidatingly before us.

Looking back to the summit of Tryfan and more folks testing their nerve against Adam and Eve

Bristly Ridge of Glyder Fach

Back to Tryfan again

Bristly Ridge and the Tryfan/Glyder Fach bealach

Tryfan from the bealach

Bristly Ridge

Hugh opted to avoid the ridge and took a line further left, eventually picking a line up through the scree onto the summit plateau. I decided that I hadn't had nearly enough scrambling opportunities over the past 24 hours or so and headed up Bristly Ridge. The ridge offered fantastic, airy scrambling with a lot of exposure in places but always plenty good hand and footholds and usually several options to choose from. Some of the chimneys were huge! :shock:

Tryfan in all her glory

From one of the big chimneys on the ridge

Think I need another shot of Tryfan!

Northern Glyderau across Llyn Bochlwyd and the Y Gribin ridge

On Bristly Ridge

Scrambling heaven

Llyn Bochlwyd through a window

Tryfan and the Carneddau

Some pointy mountain

Eventually the ridge levelled out onto another boulder strewn summit area and I heard Hugh shouting my name from up ahead. We did the customary posing on the Cantilever Stone before heading across to the shattered summit crag, complete with its deep clefts that looked capable of swallowing your average family car.

Tryfan from the top of Bristly Ridge

Hugh on the Cantilever Stone

My turn

Double act

We're floating on air!

Summit of Glyder Fach with Snowdon and co. in the background

Looking north west to Y Garn and Elidir Fawr

The Carneddau

Tryfan from the shattered summit of Glyder Fach

From Glyder Fach we crossed the Bwlch y Ddwy Glyder, skirting the huge rocky, northern corries and passing Castell y Gwynt on the way to the lunar landscape of Glyder Fawr.

Towards Glyder Fawr and the Snowdon Horseshoe

Glyder Fawr and Y Garn

Castell y Gwynt - Castle of the Winds

Back to Glyder Fach from the Bwlch Y Ddwy Glyder

To the tor studded summit of Glyder Fawr

Back to Glyder Fach

Moonscape

Hugh on Glyder Fawr, Snowdon behind

More moonscape looking back to Tryfan and Glyder Fach

North west to Y Garn, Elidir Fawr and Foel Goch, with the Menai Strait and Anglesey in the background

This was the busiest summit of the day - I guess a lot of the people there had come up from Y Garn or via Y Gribin, or even up from the Pass of Llanberis, as they certainly hadn't seemed to be on Tryfan or Glyder Fach. Still, it was positively deserted in comparison to Snowdon 24 hours earlier! We nipped over to the weird pineapple like rock structure for some arty shots, from where we saw a paraglider preparing for flight, but unfortunately by the time he took to the air, we had descended out of sight and so did not see him (presumably) get airborne.

Rock pineapple and Snowdon Horseshoe

Paraglider getting ready against a backdrop of Snowdon and Crig y Ddysgl

Almost ready for blast off

The descent from Glyder Fawr was a knee jarring affair on steep, loose scree interspersed with large rocks and it was a relief to reach the bealach and the relative ease of the ascent path onto Y Garn, whose summit gave superb views back south to where we had been and north over the Menai Strait to Anglesey.

Loose scree descent towards Llyn y Cwn and Y Garn

Tryfan, Bristly Ridge and Y Gribin from the ascent of Y Garn

Back to Glyder Fawr

Zoomed over the Devil's Kitchen to Tryfan, Bristly and Y Gribin

Llyn Ogwen

Crib Goch ridge and Snowdon from summit of Y Garn

The road home

Anglesey beyond Elidir Fawr, Carnedd y Filiast and Foel Goch

From there we took the stone staircase down towards the beach at the northern end of Llyn Idwal and through the rock cutting to the road at Ogwen Cottgae and the short walk on tarmac back to the car.

Tryfan and Bristly Ridge towering over Llyn Ogwen and Llyn Idwal

Llyn Idwal and the Devil's Kitchen

Rock cutting leading back to the Visitor Centre and road at the western end of Llyn Ogwen

A last shot of Tryfan from the road

Llyn Ogwen, Y Garn and Foel Goch

A great day - arguably the highlight of my 5 days in the Outlands - with great company. Thanks to Hugh and I look forward to walking with you again after your move to Stirling! :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Outlands 2016 (Day 2) - Tryfan and the Glyders

Postby ChrisW » Thu Jul 21, 2016 6:04 pm

Another cracking write up Graeme, what a beautiful day for it too. great looking scrambles and a good workout no doubt. I have to say you look disgustingly healthy in those pics :lol: :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Graeme D » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:28 pm

Cheers Chris. I have been called many things, including disgusting, but never disgustingly healthy before! :shock: Must be because of the strict no alcohol regime I follow and my belief that my body is a temple. :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby past my sell by date » Sat Jul 23, 2016 9:39 pm

Great Graeme. I remember doing the Bristly ridge in winter more than 50 years ago :lol: Huge feathery ice crystals on the rocks. It looked dramatic but was never really difficult. I tried taking a girlfriend up it much more recently, but after Tryfan's N ridge she had had enough :( :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:12 am

Really nice report. It's easy to forget the treasures one has on one's own doorstep!

I was amused by your description of the Tryfan North Ridge route. I must have been up there 40 or 50 times, and I don't think I've taken the same route twice! I don't even recognize the tree that Border Hugh was hanging off!

But I can confirm that the cannon pic is the right cannon!

Disappointed that you didn't do Adam and Eve - I thought this was something that brings out the 10-year-old in all of us! :)

Here is a pic of my bro, a much respected pillar of the establishment (senior partner in GP practice) on the cannon...

20120908_094010 c.jpg

and between Adam and Eve

20120908_103308 c.jpg
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland