walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch and a soggy camp at Geldie

Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch and a soggy camp at Geldie

Postby GillC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:37 pm

Route description: An Sgarsoch and Càrn an Fhidhleir

Munros included on this walk: An Sgarsoch, Càrn an Fhìdhleir (Càrn Ealar)

Date walked: 10/07/2016

Time taken: 8.75 hours

Distance: 27.5 km

Ascent: 953m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

At the beginning of our two weeks off work, I had hoped to get straight up to the Fisherfields, logistically, the trickiest of my remaining 18 Munros. But, with weather forecasts pretty awful for the country as a whole, we opted instead to head East. :?

I had initially thought we were going to head off for a few days, then home before heading anywhere else, so at very short notice, I ended up packing for a potential 2 weeks camping!! (I don't have that many pairs of knickers!!!) :shock:

We left home and arrived at Linn of Dee on Saturday late afternoon. Biked up and with heavy wild camping packs , headed off along the side of the Dee towards Geldie Lodge, our planned camping spot for the night. Light showers turned to heavy rain and made tough work of the latter part of the track. In my opinion, one should not cycle to hills, not because I'm a purist, but because I'm just not a cyclist. :shock: Words cannot express how much I detest 'cycling' on bumpy, hole filled, rock strewn tracks,,it's not fun, it's not comfortable and it should be banned! :(

**For stats purposes on this report, I do not include the journey IN to Geldie as it was done the day before the walk and the journey out.**

We eventually :crazy: came in sight of the lodge, a derelict ruin, which also required a river crossing,,with heavy packs and pushing bikes. Not too deep, but broad and at the junction of two rivers, so a convoluted crossing ensued, bikes being used as support then getting in the way when trying to stretch over to a further out rock etc. Eventually on the path again and still under heavy rain, we approached the lodge. The path veers right,,but John headed left, on following him, we got to the half shed structure on the left hand side of the derelict building. No door, missing half walls but, with boards on the floor, planks and rocks to sit on and nails to hang stuff on,,this was the Hilton of the day lol

20160709_191528.jpg
Home from home

We got inside for a while to assess the situation, nice spot outside for a tent,,when the rain went off, which it eventually did. Got the tent up before it came on again and even managed to string up a drying line in the shed, with everything on it,,including Johns sodden shorts and t shirt. Got ourselves organised, cooked up our dried meals and had a wee drink. Lovely.

P1010310.JPG
Cooking up a storm

Off to the tent and hoping for a dry day to follow.

20160709_194601.jpg
The sleeping quarters

As hoped for , nice morning, bit of low cloud but nothing to worry about. Was pretty dry and I don't think it had rained at all overnight, so we put the tent down rather than risk a daytime shower. All packed up with kit and bikes in the shed for our return later.

We had decided to do the hills as per the WH route, with Carn an Fhidhleir first, John did them in reverse on his first trip here.

P1010316.JPG
Heading off from the ruins of Geldie Lodge

The fab stalkers path winds its way on fairly level ground for quite some distance towards Allt a Chaorainn before any real feeling of height. With the rain that we had the previous day, it was soggy going underfoot, and the path proper descended into a bit of a watery bogfest with some hags in the way too but nothing hard, just a bit wet. :?

P1010330.JPG
Messy hags between the hills

P1010322.JPG
Hopeful of brighter skies

You reach the first summit of Fhidhleir fairly quickly and so far, the weather was playing ball.

P1010329.JPG
First summit of the day

Had a brief stop here before heading South (ish) and off to the small top then East to the beallach before the short ascent to An Sgarsoch. Again, this is reached with ease and no great steepness. At 1006mtrs, it certainly didn't feel its height! :D

P1010332.JPG
An Sgarsoch on a soggy day

The small top of Scarsoch Beag lies directly between the summit and the return path so heading towards this, again crossing some hags, we then veered East to skirt round the hillock then North again to pick up our return path. Smashing to reach the stalkers route with an easy and fast descent back to the lodge/bikes.

P1010333.JPG
Heading for Scarsoch Beag and the path beyond, back to Geldie

There were a couple of groups on their way up as we approached the lodge and we could see others coming down the track which leads to/from Glen Feshie on the opposite side of the Geldie Burn.

4 chaps passed us just North of the lodge, once there however, there were only 3 new bikes in the shed, along with some bags hanging up,,so, did guy number 4 hitch a backy? or did he leave earlier to walk in? who knows lol :lol:

And now for my favourite part,,,getting the bikes back out to Linn of Dee. Nothing darkens my mood more :(

2 hrs later,,back at the car, repacking and heading straight off again to Derry Lodge,,,,on the bike, again, ho hum.

Still, another two Cairngorm Munros under my belt and only 16 left to go... :clap:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Re: Carn an Fhidhleir and An Sgarsoch and a soggy camp at Ge

Postby GillC » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:59 am

Feel free to add any pics Tomsie :clap:
GillC
Munro compleatist

Munros:64   Corbetts:50
Fionas:32   Donalds:30
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:22

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:30 am

We did this duo yesterday... Originally planned to camp as you did, but the current wet weather put us off camping, so in the end we took bikes. We were up & down from Linn of Dee in 9.5 hours. Half of that time was in the saddle...

GillC wrote:Words cannot express how much I detest 'cycling' on bumpy, hole filled, rock strewn tracks,,it's not fun, it's not comfortable and it should be banned

I could not agree more!!! I flew off my seat three times, each fall resulting in bruised knees & calves. We didn't have the heavy camping gear with us, but struggling up this track with daypacks was hard enough. Geldie Burn was quite high so we left bikes at the ford and walked from there. Because we were a bit late starting, we only had about 8 hours left to climb both Munros and cycle back, so it was a hill run :lol:

The hills didn't surprise me. They were as boring and featureless as heathery lumps can be. Of course, it rained most of the time and cloud was low on the Cairngorms, not to mention strong winds. I'm so glad I've got these two done and I don't intend to go back up this track unless we decide to do a second round... not likely though :lol: :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby rockhopper » Thu Jul 28, 2016 1:03 pm

GillC wrote:In my opinion, one should not cycle to hills, not because I'm a purist, but because I'm just not a cyclist. :shock: Words cannot express how much I detest 'cycling' on bumpy, hole filled, rock strewn tracks,,it's not fun, it's not comfortable and it should be banned! :(

BlackPanther wrote:I could not agree more!!!

:lol: Sorry but could not disagree more :wink: - enjoyable, gets you there and back quicker, can be easier to get through water :wink: :lol: Pity about the weather but keeps you on track to finish. Cycled down to these two hills from the north via Glen Feshie - made a change from the norm and was easier going back - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland