walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Mholach From Dalnaspidal

Beinn Mholach From Dalnaspidal

Postby Gordie12 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:02 pm

Route description: Beinn Mholach, from Dalnaspidal

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Mholach

Date walked: 23/07/2016

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 24.5 km

Ascent: 724m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was for rain to come in from the west later in the day so I was walking for 7.30am hoping I could get finished in the dry.

2.jpg
Sow of Atholl from the start

4.jpg
Sow of Atholl again

The walk along the shore of Loch Garry is straight forward and relatively flat so it only took me an hour to reach the far end.

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg
Loch Garry looking a bit short of water

8.jpg

At the far end of the loch the good track ends. I crossed the Allt Coire Easan and headed on to the damp ATV track.

10.jpg
Far end of Loch Garry

11.jpg
Beside Allt Coire Easan

Initially I tried to use the grassy hummocks to my right to try and keep my feet dry but this got a bit frustrating so I just dropped down to the feint track heading towards the Allt Shallain. I probably (definitely) contoured too far round Meall Doire so headed over some damp heathery ground wondering what on earth I could hear. It seemed like a fairly remote location but I could hear a couple of engines then I topped a hummock and I had my answer.

13.jpg
Allt Shallain

15.jpg

16.jpg

I headed down to the Allt Shallain then headed up the bank to find the bridge crossing which is currently about 100 yards in to the works.

17.jpg

Once over the bridge it was a short walk down to Duinish bothy (which can't be seen until you are along side it) where there is meant to be a cairn marking the start of the route to the Corbett but I couldn't see it and in any case the rocky outcrop I need to aim for is very obvious on the hill.

18.jpg
Rocky outcrop on Creag nan Gabhar

I think I must have started at the correct place as there was a feint ATV track but I lost it pretty quickly but it didn't really matter. The lower slopes were damp but never boggy so it was just a bit of a slow plod through the damp grass/heather.

19.jpg
Looking over to Loch Garry

After passing the rocky outcrop at 590m the ATV track was much more obvious and I was able to stay on it to reach the ridge.

At this point the summit cairn came in to view for the first time, the main climb was out of the way and I knew there were some peat hags ahead. On reaching them I stayed well over to the right and was able to avoid all of them before another couple of climbs before finally reaching the top. From the point where the cairn came in to view and the cairn itself there is a lot of hidden ground and it took me longer than expected to make it to the top.

22.jpg

23.jpg
The cairn getting closer

24.jpg
Closer still

25.jpg
Sheep posing for the tourist

At least there was a bit of a wind at the top of the hill as I had picked up a few cleg bites on the calmer lower slopes. A quick bit of grub and I was off down the hill again.

26.jpg
Summit cairn with Schiehallion in the background

27.jpg

28.jpg
The route down the hill

On the way down there was one chap over the hill a bit from me and on his way up - the only person I saw all day (except for three workmen).

Back on the track at the bothy I decided to head back rather than climb the adjacent Graham as I fancied coming back for this hill from the Rannoch side.

Back at the bridge I took another couple of photos.

30.jpg

31.jpg

On the way back to Loch Garry I didn't bother looking for higher and drier ground and just stuck with the ATV track. A quick drink out of Allt Coire Easan and I was on the final stretch back to Dalnaspidal.

32.jpg
View back towards Dalnaspidal

Back at the car in exactly 6hrs and still dry so a better finish than yesterday. I had been looking at this hill for a while now so it was good to get a decent day to get it done.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Beinn Mholach From Dalnaspidal

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:58 pm

It's a good, long walk but at least the rain stayed off. These groundworks seemed to have got established fairly recently. Think if I was going back for this one on its own I'd take the bike - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby past my sell by date » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:07 pm

Well you did it a lot faster than me Gordie - though I did get slightly misplaced :lol:
past my sell by date
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:86
Fionas:27   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:146
Wainwrights:159   Islands:5

Postby BlackPanther » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:37 am

Aaah the famous trouser-tearing summit cairn :lol: :lol:

Shame about the mess around the bridge, we did this very route one year in early spring, the slopes of Mholach covered in melting snow. The river was in spate and the bogs were as boggy as a bog can be :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:76   

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:06 pm

rockhopper wrote:It's a good, long walk but at least the rain stayed off. These groundworks seemed to have got established fairly recently. Think if I was going back for this one on its own I'd take the bike - cheers :)

I was an hour to the far end of the loch and would guess it could probably be cycled in 20 odd minutes as it's pretty flat. Not sure why, I have a mountain bike in the garage but I never take it with me when doing a hill.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:11 pm

past my sell by date wrote:Well you did it a lot faster than me Gordie - though I did get slightly misplaced :lol:

Getting "misplaced" just adds to the fun. My navigation once walking is decent, it's finding the correct parking areas at the start I struggle with.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Postby Gordie12 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:15 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Aaah the famous trouser-tearing summit cairn :lol: :lol:

Shame about the mess around the bridge, we did this very route one year in early spring, the slopes of Mholach covered in melting snow. The river was in spate and the bogs were as boggy as a bog can be :lol:

Hi BP - I read all the reports on this hill the night before - think I got a better day than you!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland