walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Two Sgurrs - but it was all about the views to sheasgaich

Two Sgurrs - but it was all about the views to sheasgaich

Postby Beaner001 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 8:54 pm

Route description: Sgùrr Chòinnich and Sgùrr a'Chaorachain

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr a' Chaorachain, Sgùrr Chòinnich

Date walked: 25/07/2016

Time taken: 6.35 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1230m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

First longish walk in ages, was really looking forward to these two as when i did the neighbour Maoile Lunndaidh i never got any views of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich. This is a mountain i am really looking forward to doing, i took about 30 pics of it during my walk. I think it looks a fantastic mountain.

Onyhoo back to the two sgurrs. Crossed the railway line and up the track which skirts below the Corbett Sgurr nan Ceannaichean.

IMG_3269.JPG
Up the glen towards the Corbett Sgurr nan Ceannaichean

IMG_3270.JPG
Back towards Fuar Tholl

IMG_3273.JPG
Targets for the day in thick mist

The walk was pleasant enough, in around an hour I was at the crossing point over the Allt a'Chonais. I used the wire bridge for balance only as it did not look safe enough to balance along, the water was not too deep anyway.

IMG_3274.JPG
Looking back at my crossing point

Once over i followed the wet path up the Glen to Bealach Bhearnais. Took a wee rest here before the climb up the ridge to Sgurr Choinnich.

IMG_3275.JPG
Heading up to the Bealach Bhearnais

IMG_3277.JPG
The nose heading up Sgurr Choinnich

IMG_3278.JPG
Lurg Mhor in mist with the shoulder of the Corbett Beinn Tharsuinn on right of the pic

There was at least two sections of hands on to get over on the way up but the nose but once up the summit ridge was sheer on one side and steep but grassy on the other.

IMG_3282.JPG
Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich in the mist

IMG_3285.JPG
Sheasgaich

IMG_3287.JPG
and again

IMG_3290.JPG
Dogs up ahead

IMG_3292.JPG
Roy with his eye on something below

Lovely walk over to the cairn which hangs precariously on the edge. Had a bite to eat here and admired what views the mist allowed. Eventually the views also opened up over to the the second Sgurr and the bealach between.

IMG_3296.JPG
Summit of Sgurr Choinnich

IMG_3300.JPG
Sheasgaich again

IMG_3306.JPG
Sgurr a'Chaorachain ahead

IMG_3309.JPG
Loch Monar

IMG_3310.JPG
Sheasgaich

Again the views over to Sheasgaich were what interested me, the mist covered her then revealed her time and again.

I walked over to the drop down to the bealach which was quite steep on rocky ground and the ascent back up to the higher of the two Sgurrs at 1053m was easy peasy, under 200m i think. The huge summit shelter provided a nice seat where we all took on food and got more views, over to Maoile Lunndaidh and of course Sheasgaich and also Loch Monar and the long shaped Lurg Mhor.

IMG_3316.JPG
Summit shelter second sgurr

I took a northern descent off the second sgurr and dropped down around 600m on steep wet grass, i took my time due to the wet grass but the dogs hared on in front. Four legs would be fine.

IMG_3322.JPG
First sgurr on descent from the second, three walkers on summit

IMG_3323.JPG
Auchnashellach Munros and Corbett

IMG_3324.JPG
Torridon

IMG_3325.JPG
Beinn Eighe

IMG_3326.JPG
Auchnashellach Mountains again

I made the valley floor and stepped into a peat bog :shock: :lol: I cut over the bogs to cross the Allt Leathad an Tobair then cut straight over to the wire bridge to use the same crossing as the inward route.

IMG_3330.JPG
Back at the wire bridge with both Munros clear at the end of the day

IMG_3331.JPG
Nice views walking back out to Craig

My feet got wet here as i slipped into the river while holding the wire so i had a squelch the whole way back but who cares, i had a great day, getting two new Munros and great views around to the remote two hills of Lurg Mhor and of course Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich. We'll be seeing her sooner rather than later, probably including a stay in the bothy :D
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Re: Two Sgurrs - but it was all about the views to sheasgaic

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:01 pm

I was wondering where the dugs were as it was a few photos in before they appeared.

Some good photos once the cloud lifted a bit.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Mon Jul 25, 2016 9:38 pm

Lovely part of the Highlands, good to see your dogs again. There's something special about mountains doing the dance of the seven veils with the mist :lol: :lol:
We still have Sgurr a'Chaorachain to do, any recommendations about a route up, we weren't planning to use the wire bridge, but to use the return route on the WH map. We bailed on this one in March a couple of years ago when faced with 2 spaniels and a snow cornice :roll: :roll:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby rockhopper » Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:12 pm

Turned out not too badly - some rather nice atmospheric shots of Bidein a'Choire Sheasgaich. I do like this area and was lucky enough to get good weather for a change - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby martin.h » Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:47 pm

Nice one Matt, good to see you're still getting out.
That wire bridge, we balanced our way over it when we did these, I only just made it without a severe dunking, its a thought provoking crossing, good fun tho'. :lol:

Good to see Roy and Lochy, have they still got a taste for oatcakes?

We're up Braemar in September if you fancy a trip out :D

Cheers.
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

Postby spiderwebb » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:37 pm

Nice one Matt, good to see you out. Great hills these but Cheesecake does look a bit special from these, partly why I did it and Lurg from your start point here :D

Cant beat atmospheric pics :D
spiderwebb
Munro compleatist

Munros:97   Corbetts:15
Fionas:3   Donalds:1
Hewitts:108
Wainwrights:68   

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:38 pm

'S math sin a' bhalaich .... dogs looking grand as well :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:25   
Islands:28

Postby pollyh33 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:36 pm

Matt I remember your Maoile Lunndaidh report where you said you so wanted to get that view of Sheasgaich.

So pleased that you got it this time. :-D
pollyh33
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:18
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:1   

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:50 pm

Good stuff, Beaner. I didn't get the views from these two when I did them, but I too squelched back all the way along that same track! However, I did get the views of these two from Sheasgaich on a special day just over a month ago.

Lurg Mhor and Bidein a' Choire Sheasgaich are more manageable in a day than is sometimes made out, even if you go all the way from Attadale. So the bothy might not be necessary, unless you prefer doing an overnighter. Or the shorter, rougher route from Craig over Beinn Tharsuinn could involve another squelch back along that track.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland