walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

When the drive is longer than the walk...

When the drive is longer than the walk...

Postby mamoset » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:00 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 28/07/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 730m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Having completed the east side of Glen Shee last month, i decided to bite the bullet and finish the other three remaining Munros. I'd read enough to guess this wouldn't be an exhilarating day, but at least they are from my mind now :lol: I parked up at the ski centre, and decided to head up Carn Aosda first.
IMG_9131-001.JPG
Route up Carn Aosda.
It's easy going, up a large track and it's easy to see why authors like McNeish write so rabidly about this area. Anyway, they are still Munro's so on i walked until after only 30mins i was on the summit.
IMG_9135-001.JPG
The Cairnwell from ascent of Aosda.
IMG_9139-001.JPG
Summit Carn Aosda.
The route to The Cairnwell is very easy to follow, but on the plus side, i could see across to the Glen Ey Munro's i did recently.
IMG_9137-001.JPG
Carn a' Gheoidh with Glen Ey hills beyond.
The views from this top are not bad all, being able to see across to Lochnagar and North to the Cairngorms, which had a covering of cloud which later lifted, so a bonus for anyone up on those :clap:
IMG_9140-001.JPG
Carn an t-Sagairt Mor, Lochnagar & Carn an Tuirc.
IMG_9141-001.JPG
Cloud covered Braeriach & Ben Macdui.
IMG_9142-001.JPG
Beinn a'Bhuird & Ben Avon.
IMG_9143-001.JPG
Glas Maol, Creag Leacach & The Cairnwell.
After my round of 360 degrees photo's :lol: i headed off to The Cairnwell, having decided to go to Carn a' Gheoidh last. A brisk walk across and i was on the summit.
IMG_9148-001.JPG
Carn a' Gheoidh & Glas Tulaichean from near Loch Vrotachan.
IMG_9164-001.JPG
The Cairnwell summit.
Not wanting to stay here long :shock: i was quickly on my way to Carn a' Gheoidh, going round Creag a' Coire Dhirich.
IMG_9167-001.JPG
Looking East.
IMG_9179-001.JPG
Carn Aosda beyond Creag a' Coire Dhirich.
You head across an open bit of land, crossing the strangely named "The Coolah" before a final pull up to the summit.
IMG_9185-001.JPG
Looking back from ascent.
IMG_9186-001.JPG
Carn a' Gheoidh summit.
IMG_9187-001.JPG
Beinn a' Ghlo beyond Glas Tulaichean.
A final glance around and a bite to eat, then the easy walk back to the bealach and back to the car. 4.5 hours to get here and 3.5 hours to do the walk!!!!
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Munros:256   Corbetts:6
Donalds:1
Hewitts:115
Wainwrights:214   Islands:5

Re: When the drive is longer than the walk...

Postby teaandpies » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Yep, been there done that :lol:
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby mamoset » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:21 pm

teaandpies wrote:Yep, been there done that :lol:
Bet you didn't buy the T-Shirt though :shock: :lol:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

Postby simon-b » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:39 pm

Not quite Latrigg from the Gale Road car park, but the easiest Munros to bag. Not a bad little walk either. I have fond memories of those three, despite all the artificial constructions. Plenty of nature there too, including a good number of mountain hares and ptarmigans.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby mamoset » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:37 pm

simon-b wrote:Not quite Latrigg from the Gale Road car park, but the easiest Munros to bag. Not a bad little walk either. I have fond memories of those three, despite all the artificial constructions. Plenty of nature there too, including a good number of mountain hares and ptarmigans.

Hey simon, you're right about Ptarmigan and hares, saw numerous Ravens too, so i guess there's always a plus side :clap:
mamoset
Mountain Walker

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland