walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

1 man 2 Dogs 6 Munros 2 Big days in the Cairngorms

1 man 2 Dogs 6 Munros 2 Big days in the Cairngorms

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn a' Bhùird, Beinn a' Chaorainn (Cairngorms), Beinn Bhreac, Beinn Mheadhoin, Ben Avon, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 24/07/2016

Time taken: 17.4 hours

Distance: 73.1 km

Ascent: 3810m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Travelled up to the Linn of Dee Car park where I parked up overnight
to let me start the first of the 2 planned long walks it was a very nice evening
and I was pleasantly surprised that the midges were making themselves scarce :lol:
took a walk down along the river with my wife and the dogs it was so peaceful and beautiful

DSC04582.JPG
Linn of Dee

Day 1 Bheinn Bhreac ,Beinn a'Chaorainn ,Beinn Mheadhoin ,Derry Cairngorm
Time taken -8hrs 40mins

The first days walk was to go anti clockwise doing a round of Beinn Bhreac ,Beinn a'Chaorainn
Beinn Mheadhoin and Derry Cairngorm , I was up at 5.15 got ready fed the dogs and set off
up the path through Glen Lui ,there was some low cloud on the tops but the forecast was for it to clear

DSC04583.JPG
Start off up Glen Lui my pacemaker in front

DSC04585.JPG

With no bike it was a nice easy walk in and the weather was calm and dry
so I was soon at derry lodge where I opted to cross the bridge and head along for about 3/4 of a mile
and then cross back over the Derry Burn and up through the Pines to meet in with the path to Beinn Bhreac
the burn was low so there was no problems incurred nor getting wet in doing so
there is something magical about the Caledonian pines I just love them they all seem to have a character
of there own

DSC04587.JPG
Pines in Glen Derry

Once over the burn it was a fair old trudge through knee deep heather but I was soon on the path to Bheinn Bhreac
the dogs were setting a good pace for me :lol: which I was pleased about as only 5 weeks before
I had torn a muscle while doing a show in Ireland and had only done one walk 4 days previous
to test things to see how I felt ,the path though very boggy in places was easy going and 2 1/2 hours after
setting out from Linn of Dee we reached the summit Cairn of Beinn Bhreac and the sky were clearing nicely

DSC04588.JPG
Summit of Beinn Bhreac

DSC04589.JPG
Beinn a'Bhuird clearing from the cloud

After taking a few pics I set off for Beinn a'Chaorainn it looks a fair old walk from Beinn Bhreac
over a vast area of peat bogs which thankfully were reasonably dry I was wearing approach shoes
so I was wet already but once on the tops they make the going easier imo
Crossing the bogs a couple passed to the east of me , they must have camped overnight as they
were coming from Beinn a'Chaorainn

DSC04590.JPG
Looking back to Beinn Bhreac over the peat bogs

Once over the bogs and onto more solid footing I made a quick ascent and was soon on the summit
of number 2 of the day Beinn a'Chaorainn I stopped here for a bite to eat and a drink
and take in the views

DSC04591.JPG
Beinn a Chaorainn summit

DSC04592.JPG

DSC04594.JPG

After 10 mins it was time to set of on the descent back into Glen Derry where a lot of height is lost
and then start on the steep ascent up to Beinn Mheadhoin ,this was also through deep pathless heather
and I took a couple of stops to catch my breath :lol: :lol:
the cloud started to come in again also .once onto the ridge I was soon onto the path and from there
the going is nice with no great ascent up to the Tors of Beinn Mheadhoin
Looking at them I thought there was no way the dogs would get up there but once walking round the back
it was no problem for them to get to the summit :D This was number 141 for me only 141 to go :lol:

DSC04597.JPG
The summit comes into view

DSC04599.JPG
The lads on the summit of Beinn Mheadhoin

On leaving the summit to head to Derry Cairngorm I met a couple who were surprised to see the dogs
on the top of the Tor ,Looking back I seen only one appear on the top
The path over to Derry Cairngorm is excellent and The views were Fantastic toward Ben Mcdui and all around
nice to see all the tops ive still to do here :D

DSC04611.JPG
View toward Carn a' Mhaim

DSC04609.JPG
Loch Etchachan

Once on the path towards Carn a Mhaim It was good going to the path turning for Derry Cairngorm
and the final top of the day I passed some walkers here who had came from Carn a'Mhaim
We soon reached the summit and had good views back down Glen Lui and the LONG walk back to Linn of Dee

DSC04614.JPG
Derry Cairngorm Summit

DSC04620.JPG
The long walk back to Linn of Dee

Once back down to Derry lodge the place looked like a Bike factory ive never see so many
and I did think Lucky beggers :lol: :lol: but personally I love walking with the dogs
The walk seemed to take forever but 8 hours 40mins after setting out we arrived back to Linn of Dee
and what a joy it was to get back to our new motorhome and a great cooked meal made by the wife :D
now just a matter off driving round to Keiloch for the next day

Day 2 Ben Avon and Beinn a'Bhuird
time taken 9 hour

What a difference a day makes I was up and ready at 4.35am and after 10mins of setting out
it started a steady heavy drizzle of rain and this was to set the seen for 80% of the day

DSC04622.JPG
Heading up Gleann an t-Slugain

Nearing the top of Gleann an t-Slugain I noticed a few wild campers still having a nice sleep
not all as mad as myself with the early start
Once out the top of the Gleann I then decided to do the route again anti clockwise so took
the excellent path heading up towards Ben Avon here now the rain got heavier and the clag
was well down on all the hills around

DSC04626.JPG
Rain and clag what a joy (not)

DSC04630.JPG
Looking back down Quoich Water

I just got the head down and put on a good steady pace hoping on hope it would clear as it was supposed to :lol:
Passing up alongside the Glas Allt Mor it was miserable one moment the clag was down the next it would clear
only to return with heavier rain ,
I left my bag at the Bealach and headed up on the ascent of Ben Avon on the plateau near the Tors
I came across a bold little Snow Bunting who put a big smile on my face he was quick but I managed to get a pic

DSC04632.JPG
Snow Bunting

It was a matter of taking a compass bearing and trudging on through the clag
I then met 2 lads who had camped out on the summit under the same views as myself that it was to clear
but made the decision to head down very wise indeed :(
The Tors soon came into view when I was about 70yrds away from them I just headed straight up
took a pic and about turned to head for Beinn a'Bhuird

DSC04636.JPG
Dogs on Ben Avon Tor

I stopped off again at the bealach to grab a bite to eat where I met another walker we had a chat again
he mentioned it was supposed to clear
I then set of for Beinn a'Bhuird and once on the plateau it really was a test of navigation and having
faith in the compass it seemed to take forever in the clag and it was with relief that the summit came into view

DSC04637.JPG
Summit Beinn a'Bhuird

DSC04638.JPG
Golden Plover near the summit

I then headed for the south summit and on nearing it I met 2 walkers who had camped just to the north of the south top they said the weather had set in about 9pm the previous evening
It was then a case of taking a bearing and heading into the clag again and it is rather pathless in parts
till we reached the path alongside Carn Fiaclach where it give better footing and easier going

DSC04641.JPG
Looking from Carn Fiaclach into Glen Quoich

The path at the bottom became very wet and boggy and it was with a lot of relief to reach the path heading
back down into Gleann an t-Slugain , now again like the day before all that was left was the Very long walk
back to the carpark at Keiloch by now my old legs were starting to feel the pain of walking just over 73kn and
over 3800ft of ascent in 2 days back at the van I had a nice shower (what a joy) and lay down not having to head
off for home I had a nice cold beer followed by an excellent meal :D :D
The wife had also had a nice walk with our new addition Oscar the Beagle it will be a long time before this
bundle of energy come with me :lol:
The rain then came on torrential with thunder by it no way stopped me from falling into a deep slumber :D
I really enjoyed these 2 very differing days and big walks in the Cairngorms and has whetted the appetite
for more in this area
Attachments
DSC04611.JPG
Ben McDui
Last edited by jamesb63 on Thu Jul 28, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Munros:218   Corbetts:3
Sub 2000:2   

Re: 1 man 2 Dogs 2 Big days in the Cairngorms (halfway there

Postby jamesb63 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 11:14 pm

DSC04643.JPG
Love this piece of modern art in front of Invercauld House
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Re: 1 man 2 Dogs 6 Munros 2 Big days in the Cairngorms

Postby Tom282 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:57 am

Well done! I think your golden plover is actually a dotterel-even rarer!
Tom282
Mountain Walker

Munros:135   Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:11   
Islands:14

Postby jamesb63 » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:34 am

Tom282 wrote:Well done! I think your golden plover is actually a dotterel-even rarer!

Thanks for that Tom ,that's a first for me :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby Petr Dakota » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:31 am

Great walks at great area James ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm just missing your route maps, but it's easy to imagine by your descriptions and pics...also still in my memories the mountains there - in different order - sets of them :D
You will overtake me soon with Munros as I am repeating mountains now with my friends and my family ( did Ben Nevis via CMD yesterday again with my son and his girlfriend = B.N. 17x done for me now :lol: ) did some Hewits at Snowdonia and also planning Lake District soon and more outdoor trips with my daughter Cheyenne which slows me down with Munros nowadays, but happy enjoying the outdoor :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby dogplodder » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:41 am

Enjoyed that - especially shots of your two handsome labs. Miss mine on the big hill days now. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:13 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Great walks at great area James ! :clap: :clap: :clap:
I'm just missing your route maps, but it's easy to imagine by your descriptions and pics...also still in my memories the mountains there - in different order - sets of them :D
You will overtake me soon with Munros as I am repeating mountains now with my friends and my family ( did Ben Nevis via CMD yesterday again with my son and his girlfriend = B.N. 17x done for me now :lol: ) did some Hewits at Snowdonia and also planning Lake District soon and more outdoor trips with my daughter Cheyenne which slows me down with Munros nowadays, but happy enjoying the outdoor :D

Many thanks Petr I forgot all abut the route maps :roll: I have a number of shows to do soon
so will be slowing down myself for a little bit
I hope you enjoy your time with the family :D
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:16 pm

dogplodder wrote:Enjoyed that - especially shots of your two handsome labs. Miss mine on the big hill days now. 8)

Thankyou Dogplodder ,unfortunately Brin the larger of the 2 is having to get a toe removed
so he will be off the hills for a bit ,I will miss his company but his brother will make up for it I am sure
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby Alteknacker » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:49 pm

Enjoyed this report. I still have to try the Cairngorms ....

It looks like an impressive bit of navigation in the clag to get to Bheinn a' Bhuird with compass only - the terrain looks pretty featureless, and to hit a point on more or less level ground is some achievement!!!! Or are there tracks to help maintain the right direction??
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby jamesb63 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:01 pm

Alteknacker wrote:Enjoyed this report. I still have to try the Cairngorms ....

It looks like an impressive bit of navigation in the clag to get to Bheinn a' Bhuird with compass only - the terrain looks pretty featureless, and to hit a point on more or less level ground is some achievement!!!! Or are there tracks to help maintain the right direction??

Hi Alte on the top the whole area in the clag is featureless with no real defined paths
so in the clag it is really just a matter of trusting the compass
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby kev_russ » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:44 am

Nice report & pics James. 2 big days indeed. 2 braw looking labs tae :)

It was me and ma pal you spoke to on the approach to Ben Avon. Once we set up camp on the plateau the plan was to wander around the tops after tea but the weather turned Sat evening. We still had a good day on Beinn a' Bhuird & Ben Avon so can't complain. On the Sunday the plan to turn the walk into a circuit hitting more tops went oot the window & we just made our way back down.

A wee snow bunting followed us near Ben Avon anaw :)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:77
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby jamesb63 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:27 am

kev_russ wrote:Nice report & pics James. 2 big days indeed. 2 braw looking labs tae :)

It was me and ma pal you spoke to on the approach to Ben Avon. Once we set up camp on the plateau the plan was to wander around the tops after tea but the weather turned Sat evening. We still had a good day on Beinn a' Bhuird & Ben Avon so can't complain. On the Sunday the plan to turn the walk into a circuit hitting more tops went oot the window & we just made our way back down.

A wee snow bunting followed us near Ben Avon anaw :)

Was nice to meet you Kev :D probably the same little bunting
and yes the weather on Sunday was stinking just ended up a blind trudge in the clag
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 pm

Always nice to read stories about the Cairngorms, there are so many combinations one can do with these tops. We added Derry C and Mheadhoin to Cairngorm-MacDui route from Speyside, an absolute leg killer, over 1700m of ascent in a day trip, plus it was +30*C all day... Don't know if I could do such a push now, after my knee injury :(

Congrats on the half-way point. It's downhill from now on (at least it's what I keep telling myself every time I struggle up another Munro in rain and wind).
Cheers-BP
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby jamesb63 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:42 pm

BlackPanther wrote:Always nice to read stories about the Cairngorms, there are so many combinations one can do with these tops. We added Derry C and Mheadhoin to Cairngorm-MacDui route from Speyside, an absolute leg killer, over 1700m of ascent in a day trip, plus it was +30*C all day... Don't know if I could do such a push now, after my knee injury :(

Congrats on the half-way point. It's downhill from now on (at least it's what I keep telling myself every time I struggle up another Munro in rain and wind).
Cheers-BP
. Many thanks BP the Cairngorms are great when the weather is kind and as you say they offer so many configurations of walks and routes for walkers of all levels
jamesb63
Munro compleatist

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland