walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Law From The Megget Stone

Broad Law From The Megget Stone

Postby Gordie12 » Sat Jul 30, 2016 4:08 pm

Route description: Broad Law, Cramalt Craig and Dollar Law

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law

Date walked: 29/07/2016

Time taken: 1.9 hours

Distance: 7.9 km

Ascent: 408m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A quick drive over from the car park at the Grey Mare's Tail and I was parked up by the Meggitt Stone with Broad Law ahead.

It's a high starting point for this walk and if this was the only hill of the day I would certainly have looked for a different starting point.

Started around 12.30pm and the sun was still out though there was now a bit of a breeze.

The start is quite steep but the ground is dry which is a bonus after this morning.

1.jpg
Looking down on the parking spot

2.jpg
The start of the climb up Fans Law

No navigation issues for this hill, just follow the fence all the way to the top.

After the climb up Fans Law the ground levels off before another climb up Cairns Law.

3.jpg
Looking over to Cairns Law

4.jpg
The fence up Cairns Law

The fence up Cairns Law reminded me of something, I couldn't think what it was then it came to me.

10.jpg
Making a break for it

The climb up Cairns Law was on an easier gradient than the initial climb up Fans Law and once on the top, I could see the 2km walk ahead of me to reach the trig point.

5.jpg
Looking over to St Mary's Loch

I was sticking to the east side of the fence then on the last little climb when the ground was a bit wet I switched over to the west side, returning to the east as I approached the trig point. It's a bit busy on top (not human busy - nobody in view) and the views are decent but by now it has clouded over a bit.

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

For the return it was just a case of retracing my steps and following the fence back to the car.

Not a lot to say about this hill, job done in 3 minutes shy of 2hrs so it's no great outing (at least from this starting point) but it was a good hill to tag on having done Lochcraig Head and White Coomb in the morning.

All that was left was to decide on my route home, either to head west and pick up the M74 knowing about the delays near Hamilton or to head for Edinburgh and the early Friday rush out of the city for the Forth Road Bridge. Decided on the Edinburgh option, nightmare journey, took for ever.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Re: Broad Law From The Megget Stone

Postby simon-b » Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:07 pm

Useful info for anyone bound for the Southern Upland Corbetts, Gordie.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Re: Broad Law From The Megget Stone

Postby Gordie12 » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Cheers Simon - time for me to move to the other side of the M74 next.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland