walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Wyvis and lovely views...of the inside of a cloud!

Ben Wyvis and lovely views...of the inside of a cloud!

Postby KatTai » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:09 pm

Route description: Ben Wyvis, near Garve

Munros included on this walk: Ben Wyvis

Date walked: 29/07/2016

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 14 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Been on holiday this week so have a few trip reports to write up, but I'll start with today's adventure heading up Ben Wyvis!

When I woke up this morning, I hadn't quite decided where to go for the day but finally decided to just go for Ben Wyvis - partly helped by the WH route planner knocking half an hour off the travel time! The other options were closer so easier to get to and for one of those I would be repeating with the hope of getting a view from the summit, which was looking unlikely today.

So we set off and part way along I realised I'd left my walking boots behind! I'd decided to drive up in my trail shoes, much more comfortable for driving in, and forgot to pick up my boots. Maybe not a big problem for some, but I like to have my ankles supported as I have been prone to ankle problems. But it was too late now and it was either abandon the days plans or just go for it. I decided to stick with the original plan and made it in the time given by the WH route planner and started walking at about 10:50am. The path is very easy to follow pretty much all of the way so there were no difficulties in finding the route. As we ascended the views opened up all around.

f.jpg

Unfortunately directly above us and covering the summit, was thick cloud! The climb up to An Cabar was steep, but nothing too difficult especially with the dogs doing their bit to help pull me up as well and we headed into the cloud. Following the well-worm path along the ridge to the summit, the cloud occasionally parted to give a glimpse of what we were missing, but these glimpses were only fleeting.

h7.jpg

There were no such breaks in the cloud at the summit, but there were a couple of people though so we were able to get a summit photo!

10.jpg

Munro number 14 for Millie, Dottie the Dalmatian and myself, and number 6 for Moss. Millie is probably not far off retiring from adventures on the big hills, she is 12 in October and is starting to show her age a little bit now, and many of the Munro's currently on the to-do list are too far for her or require too much scrambling.

Moss though is about three years old, so she has plenty more to do! Though at the summit, her main priority was the summit celebration play session with Millie, if Millie's not there then I have to join in the summit celebration playtime!

11.jpg
Millie in front, Moss behind.

We didn't hang around long, once the dogs had a bit of a play and a roll around in the grass it was leads back on for the descent. On the return the cloud didn't give even the slightest glimpse of the view, and had dropped much lower down so it was a longer walk back not able to see much at all, and it started raining too. Finally though we dropped below the cloud and now I was able to see what was ahead, and to make the descent down An Cabar easier for myself, the dogs could be off lead to work out their own way down. Most of the time, I chose the same route as Millie. She tends to be good at finding the best routes up and down!

It didn't seem to take long for us to get back down to the steps, which seem to have been made with shorter people like myself in mind with no real need to stretch to get up or down them!

16.jpg

From there, it was onto the well-made track all the way back down to the car park and back in the car at 3:30pm, it had taken us 4 hours and 40 minutes. Amazing how quickly we can do a walk when the camera is tucked away! The route was easy enough to do in just the trail shoes, but on the descent of An Cabar I'd have been much happier with my boots on!
KatTai
Wanderer

Munros:52   Corbetts:16
Fionas:12   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:53   
Islands:32

Re: Ben Wyvis and lovely views...of the inside of a cloud!

Postby Alteknacker » Fri Jul 29, 2016 11:23 pm

The views of the inside of a cloud! Yes, well, I really work hard with the weather runes to avoid these if I can :lol:

Ref footwear. I used to have ankle problems in my boot-wearing days, but have had absolutely no issues in the last 20 or so years of walking in trainers. Whereas my son - an inveterate boot-wearer - has continual problems. His analysis (he's a doctor) is that if you don't wear boots, you strengthen the ligaments (or whatever) around your ankles, so you don't get injuries. Just a thought...
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby KatTai » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:54 am

Alteknacker wrote:The views of the inside of a cloud! Yes, well, I really work hard with the weather runes to avoid these if I can :lol:

Ref footwear. I used to have ankle problems in my boot-wearing days, but have had absolutely no issues in the last 20 or so years of walking in trainers. Whereas my son - an inveterate boot-wearer - has continual problems. His analysis (he's a doctor) is that if you don't wear boots, you strengthen the ligaments (or whatever) around your ankles, so you don't get injuries. Just a thought...

My ankle problems were from my pre-boot wearing days, I found wearing boots (this was to work before I really did any hillwalking, I was having constant problems and rarely out of an ankle support in my usual work-type shoes) stopped me having problems so stuck with boots and only recently been wearing trail shoes :) Haven't had any ankle problems so I usually use the trail shoes for flatter walks but not usually for anything steeper. I think maybe it worked in reverse for me, maybe giving my ankle time to recover properly with proper support and I was maybe just re-damaging whatever was damaged constantly before.
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby rockhopper » Sat Jul 30, 2016 2:30 pm

Well.....there's just not enough space on this page to post details of the amount of time I've spent on the hills in clag :roll: (often despite good forecasts :evil: ). Good for you for getting out despite the boot issue - have occasionally thought about trying shoes but am stuck in may ways I guess and will probably not change from boots (even though they must weigh around 1.7kg/pair) - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby dogplodder » Sat Jul 30, 2016 8:42 pm

I see Ben Wyvis from my window so am constantly aware of what it's doing up there and almost feel responsible if folk don't have a good day on it. But at least it's a good path and if you're going to do any Munro without boots Wyvis is probably the one to choose! :wink:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby KatTai » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:09 pm

dogplodder wrote:I see Ben Wyvis from my window so am constantly aware of what it's doing up there and almost feel responsible if folk don't have a good day on it. But at least it's a good path and if you're going to do any Munro without boots Wyvis is probably the one to choose! :wink:

A good day was had regardless of the cloud at the summit, helped by having a very good path to follow. Rain doesn't really bother me much, I have the dogs to walk regardless of the weather so getting soaked is a regular occurrence LOL

rockhopper wrote:Well.....there's just not enough space on this page to post details of the amount of time I've spent on the hills in clag :roll: (often despite good forecasts :evil: ). Good for you for getting out despite the boot issue - have occasionally thought about trying shoes but am stuck in may ways I guess and will probably not change from boots (even though they must weigh around 1.7kg/pair) - cheers :)

I'm much happier in my boots than shoes when in the hills that's for sure! Mine aren't that heavy though, but then they are only a size 3 1/2 LOL!
KatTai
Wanderer

Postby BlackPanther » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:28 pm

My local hill :D
Funny, I can see Wyvis from my usual jogging route around Beauly and in the last few weeks it was cloudy almost every day! It just seems to produce its own weather system regardless of forecast :roll:

Size 3 1/2, lucky girl, I'm a cosmic size 8 for walking boots, try finding ANYTHING that size in woman's section! I end up buying men's 8, which are usually too wide and I have to wear two pairs of socks plus extra inner soles. Out of curiosity, I weighted my recent pair (Brasher Hillmasters) - 800 g each, so not as heavy as Rockhopper's :lol:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby KatTai » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:15 am

BlackPanther wrote:My local hill :D
Funny, I can see Wyvis from my usual jogging route around Beauly and in the last few weeks it was cloudy almost every day! It just seems to produce its own weather system regardless of forecast :roll:

Size 3 1/2, lucky girl, I'm a cosmic size 8 for walking boots, try finding ANYTHING that size in woman's section! I end up buying men's 8, which are usually too wide and I have to wear two pairs of socks plus extra inner soles. Out of curiosity, I weighted my recent pair (Brasher Hillmasters) - 800 g each, so not as heavy as Rockhopper's :lol:

I did have to get my boots ordered in as they weren't stocked at that size lol Though I was told because they are small they don't have much flex in them so I could use them with crampons so could be a bonus if I ever decided to give some proper winter walking a go!
KatTai
Wanderer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland