walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Leoid, plus a Graham, on another Wet Claggy Day

Beinn Leoid, plus a Graham, on another Wet Claggy Day

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:51 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Leoìd

Fionas included on this walk: Meallan a' Chuail

Date walked: 31/07/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1066m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be our last group walk together at this Summer WH meet from Inchnadamph and we had hoped for better weather but not to be, I'm afraid. After long discussions on who was going where and with whom it finally identified David Main, The Rodmiester, Mountain Thyme, Jelena and Steve were to be heading off to climb Beinn Leoid and the two Grahams nearby. The two cars headed off to the starting point to the far end of Loch More on the A838 where we had noticed the day before that there had been major forestry workings going on and thought there may be problems identifying the starting point. As it was there were no problems we found the layby on the South side of the road with enough parking at the end approx 2k beyond the house at Kinloch.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
The brave few
2.JPG
The brave few at the parking area
2a.JPG
Heading along the road and down towards the path
2b.JPG
The path is presently being upgraded as there were bags of stones ready to be laid beside the path
2c.JPG
On the upgraded section of path, ascent was quick at this point and easy going on the feet on the newly laid gravel
2d.JPG
Steve about to try the stepping stones, soon after he was to leave the rest of the group to tackle the two Grahams on his own
3.JPG
Dave doing a balancing act and doing it well
4.JPG
The Rodmiester happy all were over without any mishaps
4a.JPG
The first and probably the only time the clag lifted en route to the summit. We had decided to skirt around the Graham going to the Corbett, with hindsight this might have been a bad decision as it was very hard going with the wet and slippy conditions. I think most of us had at this point decided there must be better ways for the walk out.
5.JPG
With the rain stopping for a short while time for a photogtaph, the bealach where we were heading in the background
6.JPG
Leaving the cairn behind on the East ridge of the Corbett and heading into the clag towards the actual summit
7.JPG
Summit picture of the group where we had our refreshments and a natter before heading off once more on a feint path down the way we had come. By this time we had agreed that the best way back was to climb the extra 200m up the Graham Meallan an Chuail. Near the top of the climb we were faced with very slippy wet rock where numerous slips were had.
7b.JPG
Another slight lift in the cloud
7c.JPG
Near to the bealach
7d.JPG
The very wet slippy boulderfield
[/attachment]
8.JPG
Summit photo of the group where the cairn is perched very close to the steep vertical cliffs
9.JPG
About to leave the very grassy summit point at the cairn. We were to be heading down the Northern slopes where many stops for compass bearings and views of the GPS were required. The target in approx 2k was the path to the North of Loch Cul a' Mhill where we had come from
10.JPG
Finding the path at long last after some adventures in the numerous peat hags
11.JPG
Loch More in the brightening distance. From this point it was a matter of going hell for leather for the awaiting cars as there was a very dark cloud about to drop its contents again. Made the cars before the real soaking took place and found Steve waiting for us in his car. Only thing to do now was to head for the bunkhouse at Inchnadamph have a hot shower, then a meal then let the festivities begin.
Attachments
7a.JPG
Returning past the cairn
Last edited by The Rodmiester on Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Beinn Leoid, plus a Graham, on another Wet Claggy Day

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:32 pm

I suspected you'd go for this route :wink: Shame about the clag, Leoid has some really nice views... I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get the chance to do Foinaven, but weather up north was nowhere near good enough for that. We opted for Pertshire that weekend, bagged a few new Munros and Corbetts :D And we had clag-free summits!
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:05 pm

BlackPanther wrote:I suspected you'd go for this route :wink: Shame about the clag, Leoid has some really nice views... I'm a bit disappointed we didn't get the chance to do Foinaven, but weather up north was nowhere near good enough for that. We opted for Pertshire that weekend, bagged a few new Munros and Corbetts :D And we had clag-free summits!

Hi BP, I think Inchnadamph was the only place in Scotland that had that awful weather, awe well there's always the next time :wink:
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Yorjick » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:37 pm

You certainly got some better summit photos than I. Rain got onto my lens resulting in very blurred images. I hope you don't mind me saving a few of your photographs from the early part of the walk, taken before we parted company.

Here are a few I took of the rest of the party plus a blurry summit shot:

DSCF4212_resize.JPG

DSCF4214_resize.JPG

DSCF4215_resize.JPG

DSCF4216_resize.JPG

DSCF4217_resize.JPG

DSCF4218_resize.JPG
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi there Steve, no problems at all. Hope you enjoyed it as much as we did, and thanks again for staying behind to ensure we got off the hill ok. Hope to see you soon, Rod
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby Jaxter » Thu Aug 04, 2016 5:44 pm

Looks like you had a good time anyway!! :D

I think the festivities lived up yo your expectations :lol: :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

Postby The Rodmiester » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Jaxter wrote:Looks like you had a good time anyway!! :D

I think the festivities lived up yo your expectations :lol: :lol:

We always have a good time on the hill Jaxter. Yes you could say I enjoyed myself in the evening and morning after as well :lol: :lol:
The Rodmiester
Walker

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland