walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Blowy on Bhuidhe

Blowy on Bhuidhe

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:22 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Bhuidhe

Date walked: 07/08/2016

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With Allison away in Belgium it was me on my todd today. I'd been working on Saturday, so only had Sunday to get out on the hills - with a miserable weather forecast in prospect. I'd swithered about what to climb, Marilyns or Simms...and decided on Beinn Bhiudhe and some of its surrounding Simms (or Tops if you'd rather). Driving up the A82 the weather didn't seem too unpleasant although the trees were being buffeted by a strong wind. I parked up \t the start of the road into Fyne Ales Brewery and decided upon waterproofs from the outset. The tarmac road goes through the brewery buildings and along the side of the River Fyne. There are always, it seems, highland cows watching what you're doing.

bhuidsim3.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

ImageP1130418 by Al, on Flickr

Cruach Tuirc
ImageP1130419 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130420 by Al, on Flickr

Along to Inverchoran and up into the ferns. I'd decided to climb Beinn Chas first of all - I followed the usual Bhuidhe track up by the river before turning off left and tackling the steep grassy hillside. I came across a new hydro track crossing the way. Pressing on, flatter ground was reached at the foot of Chas before an easy lollop up its slopes. The wind was strong and I had to hunker down in a sheltered spot for lunch. Looking over at the southern slopes of Bhuidhe I thought it seemed steep and craggy. I thought it easier to head over Meall an Daimh and to aim for somewhere west of the summit of Bhuidhe taking in Stac a'Chuirn first. Unfortunately as I walked towards Meall an Daimh the clag came down and the rain started. It didn't stop :roll:

Up through the ferns
ImageP1130421 by Al, on Flickr

New bulldozed road
ImageP1130423 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Chas
ImageP1130426 by Al, on Flickr

Presumably some sort of flora study
ImageP1130428 by Al, on Flickr

Bhuidhe from summit of Chas
ImageP1130430 by Al, on Flickr

Bhuidhe
ImageP1130431 by Al, on Flickr

It was indeed steep going up the southern slopes of Bhuidhe, slippy steep grass but I made it up onto the broad ridge and squelched along to Stac a'Chuirn - always further than it seemed to be. There is a faint track to follow, and I returned along this to the top of Bhuidhe. The remains of a trig point and a few scraps of Tibetan prayer flag adorned the summit. The weather was by now thoroughly unpleasant - strong wind blowing the rain directly into my face. My waterproofs were saturated and my feet had their own pools. I had considered adding on Beinn an-t Sithean to the NW, but this would involve another 6+ kilometres and 300m descent then re-ascent. I just didn't fancy it.

Stac a'Chuirn
ImageP1130432 by Al, on Flickr

Summit
ImageP1130433 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130434 by Al, on Flickr

Bhuidhe summit
ImageP1130435 by Al, on Flickr

In very poor visibility I returned to the broad path leading east from the summit of Bhuidhe, aiming for Ceann Garbh. I was wary of descending over crags in the mist and switched my GPS from the route I'd planned for today to the standard WH route. I saw the 901m peak just off the main path and thought that would be easy just to ascend and return to the standard descent path. What I hadn't remembered was that the 901m peak was the eastern Top of Bhuidhe, not Ceann Garbh. I fought to the summit against ever strengthening wind and was happy to duck back down to the path and lose height into the descent route. There was a reasonably clear path to squelch along - I didn't really mind the puddles now as my feet couldn't get wetter. I passed aother new bulldozed road - maybe joining up with the one I'd seen earlier - and continued on my way down to the sheep fanks by the track.

East summit of Bhuidhe
ImageP1130436 by Al, on Flickr

Great weather!
ImageP1130437 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130439 by Al, on Flickr

It was actually quite pleasant walking through the woodland in the rain - vibrant green of new-washed beech leaves flowers cupping a sphere of silver raindrop. It was good to be out of the wind. I made a reasonable pace along the road and arrived back at the car, sodden and a bit chilly. Thank God for heated seats :wink: It was only when I got home and was entering my data that I realised my mistake about Ceann Garbh. One little Simm that got away...oh well another trip to Glen Fyne for another day awaits.

ImageP1130440 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130441 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:196   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Blowy on Bhuidhe

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:34 pm

Was ón the Corbett Carn Dearg Brunnachan in Glen Roy yesterday before the wee storm today , stayed dry but misty.....today i sat in the house and watched it team down . :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby Chris Mac » Mon Aug 08, 2016 12:15 pm

Hahaha brilliant, with gales hitting us yesterday I thought to myself "only someone like Weaselmaster will be up on the hills today" and you didn't disappoint! :lol: :clap:

Loving the distorted raindrop photos, helps set the scene very well for what it was like. :D
Chris Mac

Munros:60   Corbetts:36
Fionas:25   Donalds:28+13
Sub 2000:74   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:21   

Postby Sick Kid » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:33 pm

Not sorry I missed this one :wink:
Sick Kid
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+50
Sub 2000:364   Hewitts:26
Wainwrights:13   

Postby Jaxter » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:29 am

:lol: :lol: I'm not sue if anyone has had a good weather day on this one!!

There is some perverse pleasure in beating the elements though isn't there :lol:
Jaxter
Wanderer

Munros:217   Corbetts:141
Fionas:91   Donalds:49+13
Sub 2000:131   Hewitts:69
Wainwrights:81   Islands:35

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland