walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A near death experience, but not quite.

A near death experience, but not quite.

Postby MumandSteven » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:23 pm

Route description: Beinn Narnain and Beinn Ìme

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 06/08/2016

Time taken: 6.5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 926m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This is my first walk report but after our epic adventure on Narnain I decided to write it up. My son and I set off from The Succoth car park around 10am, having already climbed the Cobbler I decided we would take the long route in, then climb Narnain using the rough path opposite the Cobbler, after which we would climb Ben Ime (Ben Ime was then postponed for another day).
To begin with the climb was relatively easy and then became just a little more tricky when we reached the boulder fields.
20160806_131214.jpg

We got to the summit and took the obligatory photographs, the weather was becoming danker by the minute so we didn't hang around for too long.
20160806_132207.jpg
Steven and I at the summit

When we began our descent there were three gentlemen in front so we just followed on behind them.
20160806_131236.jpg

Down we went, making great progress, then one of the guys mentions that we are way off course. So here we were with a vertical drop in front of us and a very thin ledge to the side.
The guys decided the ledge was best, so we made our way across very slowly and methodically, we then came across a huge rock which we had to slide down then make a slight jump (this was a slight jump for the three tall gentlemen, it was a possibility of breaking legs for me and my son). Thankfully one of the guys was a very tall, able bodied off duty police officer who caught both me and my son, all three gents stayed with us until we were all safely back on the path and out of danger before they trotted on, leaving Steven and I to amble down at our own snails pace.
I can honestly say it was the most adventurous day we have had so far on the hills, but it hasn't put us off, we are already planning our next adventure and of course we now have to go back and climb Ben Ime.
If any of the guys are reading this I would like to express my extreme gratitude that you stayed with my son and I and made sure we were safe.
Attachments
20160806_131227.jpg
MumandSteven
Munro compleatist

Munros:11   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland