walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

5M of Lochnagar in sun, rain, fog and blizzard

5M of Lochnagar in sun, rain, fog and blizzard

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:00 pm

Route description: White Mounth Munros, Glen Muick

Munros included on this walk: Broad Cairn, Cairn Bannoch, Càrn a' Choire Bhòidheach, Càrn an t-Sagairt Mòr, Lochnagar

Date walked: 06/08/2016

Distance: 29 km

Ascent: 1228m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Weekend off was plan for Ben Nevis walk via CMD. As the weather forecast was bad for that area I choose another option...Lochnagar hike. Checked weather forecast morning again and looks that first light rain will come around 5pm.
Quite early start with driving on north had been stop 6 miles before Glen Muick car park as one of the road is closed from January with no sign on B976 (but you can use digression from B976, in Bridge of Muick).
It started late but with sunshine on quite busy path up on first Munro...Lochnagar. On the summit of the first one was so busy :wink: as some German walking group and many other people decided just for 1M Lochnagar walk that day.
Because weather was good and still plenty of time until sunset will come, decision was made and want finish whole the White Mounth Circle that day.
The first 3M were fine, then weather started get worse with fog and heavy rain just before 4M and then turnet into a blizzary white out. I was so grateful that I had my GPS. In this point was better continue to 5M and then down to Loch Muick where the visibility was clear again but still with light rain. Got to car park at 10pm and was happy for camping idea :wink:
Next day woke up to the beautiful morning in Glen Muick :D

Despite the weather condition that was such good experience for navigation skills as well as physical training :wink:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IMAG0444a.jpg
This road is closed from January (no sign on B976)
IMAG0445a.jpg
IMAG0446a.jpg
IMAG0449a.jpg
IMAG0454a.jpg
IMAG0456a.jpg
IMAG0475a.jpg
IMAG0477a.jpg
The first one ;-)...Lochnagar
IMAG0478a.jpg
IMAG0490a.jpg
2nd Munro
IMAG0496a.jpg
IMAG0500a.jpg
3rd Munro
IMAG0505a.jpg
4th Munro...absolutely whiteout and rain
IMAG0508a.jpg
5th Munro in a blizzard whiteout
IMAG-WA0001a.jpg
Going down from last Munro towards to Loch Muick
IMAG0512a.jpg
Woke up to the beautiful morning
IMAG0530a.jpg
These guys doing great job ...Thanks guys! ;-)
Attachments
IMAG-WA0002a.jpg
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

Re: 5M of Lochnagar in sun, rain, fog and blizzard

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Well done - great achievement :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for GPS - very helpful in poor visibility !!! You are brave, managed all 5 in this conditions and the late night time :shock: :clap: Good experience though, also the wild camp...looks like really beautiful morning after :D :thumbup:
the 1st photo...hmmm...no wondering the road was closed...but which road ?! :lol: :wink: :lol:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Re: 5M of Lochnagar in sun, rain, fog and blizzard

Postby Andrea Rosslyn » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:10 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Well done - great achievement :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thanks for GPS - very helpful in poor visibility !!! You are brave, managed all 5 in this conditions and the late night time :shock: :clap: Good experience though, also the wild camp...looks like really beautiful morning after :D :thumbup:
the 1st photo...hmmm...no wondering the road was closed...but which road ?! :lol: :wink: :lol:

Thank you, Petr! :)
When you will drive from Balmoral and then turn right from B976 towards to Birkhall, there is section of the road near house school which is join with road from Bridge of Muick (to Glen Muick car park). That´s a road which is closed from January. But my SAT navigation choose this shortcut way. Fortunately, when I started walk I found another way and save my legs from 6 miles additionaly walk :D :wink: :lol:
Andrea Rosslyn
Munro compleatist

Munros:57   Corbetts:12
Fionas:5   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:11   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:3   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland