walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Carn Chuinneag, The one good weather day at the WH meet

Carn Chuinneag, The one good weather day at the WH meet

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Route description: Càrn Chuinneag, Strath Carron, Ardgay

Corbetts included on this walk: Càrn Chuinneag

Date walked: 28/07/2016

Time taken: 5.2 hours

Distance: 16.1 km

Ascent: 883m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

We had arranged to meet up at the tourist information car park just over on the North side of the Kessock bridge as Theresa was to be picking up Jelena from the bus station at Inverness. I had done my usual and forgotten half of my clothes and had to do a last minute stop off at Go outdoors Inverness to purchase another walking top and was hoping like hell it was not going to be too cold at the weekend as all my my warm layers had also been left on the bedroom floor. With the better weather forecast for the NE I had hoped to get the Corbett of Carn Chuinneag climbed as we had not managed to include it at Charlies meet held at the Aultguise Hotel last year. Everything went to plan and we headed up on the A9 and then the B9176NE route to the start of the walk at Glen Calvie lodge

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

a.JPG
Starting off from the car park
b.JPG
Heading down the Private road towards Glencalvie Lodge
c.JPG
And over this ornate bridge crossing the River
c1.JPG
Looking from the bridge SW
d.JPG
Nice stone walling and wooden gate
e.JPG
An extra special tree house
f.JPG
Ornate stone gate posts
f1.JPG
An avenue of climbers
g.JPG
A stag within the private grounds
h.JPG
The long track in, nice to cycle with little undulations
i.JPG
Zoom of Diebidale Lodge approx 3k in from the start
i1.JPG
After crossing the river to the East side there is a fork in the track take the left fork and immediately take the path on your right up the hillside
i2.JPG
Looking back from the hillside track
i3.JPG
At one point the zig zag track looks like it's heading well away from the target so we decided to do a bit of boulder hopping and heather bashing. This might have been the wrong decision as on the way back we returned on the track and although longer it was probably very much easier to walk
j.JPG
I had also taken slightly the wrong line and was probably heading too far East of the summit but still managed to reach the cairn first. Mountain thyme obviously still had her Fisherfields legs from her weekend before epic
z.JPG
When I reached the cairn there was ample time to have 40 winks, and it was very pleasant waiting for the other two. It's the first time Iv'e managed to beat her for a while now.
k.JPG
Still feeling very happy at the cairn
l.JPG
Jelena standing on the cairn enjoying all the views. make the most of it it was to be the laast summit views of the weekend
m.JPG
Happy group all very pleased we had come a day early for this meet
n1.JPG
A rocky section on the outward journey
o.JPG
Some boot repairs prior to descending to the long walk out on the well constructed track
Attachments
n.JPG
On the good path back which can readily be seen from the summit
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Carn Chuinneag, The one good weather day at the WH meet

Postby tomyboy73 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Know what you mean about boulder hopping, better taking the longer flatter path, and well done beating those two whipper snappers up the hill :lol:
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:185   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:03 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:Know what you mean about boulder hopping, better taking the longer flatter path, and well done beating those two whipper snappers up the hill :lol:

At least the boulders were dry not slippy like the Saturdays Graham, very slippy. Good views and only views over the weekend
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby dogplodder » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:25 pm

Have good memories of this hill despite badly stubbed big toe from slipping the day before on wet laminate into metal door wearing just socks - ouch! The path was so good it made it bearable but big toe still hurts now - 16 months later - so maybe I shouldn't have... :?

The things we do for hills. :wtf:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby BlackPanther » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:48 pm

At least ONE hill with views! :lol: I see the girls enjoyed it, too :D

I have good memories from CC, too, been up there twice already... Would love to do it again in full winter conditions, if we can get up that road in snow.

Summer does not spoil us this year. It was supposed to be better than 2015, maybe June was, but now... I've just started to update my TR's from last week... In most pictures I'm wearing woolly hat, gloves, warm coat and waterproof trousers plus winter boots :shock:
BlackPanther
Mountain Walker

Munros:268   Corbetts:182
Fionas:136   
Sub 2000:75   

Postby The Rodmiester » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:08 pm

dogplodder wrote:Have good memories of this hill despite badly stubbed big toe from slipping the day before on wet laminate into metal door wearing just socks - ouch! The path was so good it made it bearable but big toe still hurts now - 16 months later - so maybe I shouldn't have... :?

The things we do for hills. :wtf:

I can feel the pain Ahhhhh. :( Nice and easy but stay on the path in future :)
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby mountain thyme » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:39 pm

40 winks my bahookey! You had gone half an hour ahead of us in the wrong direction. Then when you noticed we were heading for the summit you started running, so you were knackered as you got to the top :lol:
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm

mountain thyme wrote:40 winks my bahookey! You had gone half an hour ahead of us in the wrong direction. Then when you noticed we were heading for the summit you started running, so you were knackered as you got to the top :lol:

You fell for it hook line and sinker :lol: :lol: Just knew I'd get a reaction with that summit photo :lol: Ok I will put my hands up I was going too far East but realised that when I looked at the map, I just wanted to get out of all that long heather and boulders ASAP, but run, never :D
The Rodmiester
Walker

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland