walkhighlands

This forum is for general discussion about walking and scrambling... If writing a report or sharing your experiences from a route, please use the other boards.

Unusual kit carried for emergencies?

Unusual kit carried for emergencies?

Postby Jaywizz » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:16 pm

Another rainy day. As I spent a couple of hours starting to update my walk log, I was reminded of the occasion where my boot uppers and sole were held together with cable ties enabling me to finish a walk. (Thank you, McMole.) Ever since that day, I have added cable ties to my pack.
Just wondering if anyone else has tales or experience of more unusual/less conventional emergency kit than the usual list?
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Unusual kit carried for emergencies?

Postby Cairngormwanderer » Fri Aug 12, 2016 10:01 pm

Don't know if it's unusual or not, but always carry a good wodge of gaffer tape (duct tape). An essential part of any First Aid kit but pretty handy for lots of fixes. Like the cable tie story, I once gave the whole roll to a guy half way through the Lairig Ghru when his sole parted company with his boot. Reckoned it would need several replacements, but better than having to hop! :lol:
Cairngormwanderer
Stravaiging

Munros:125   Corbetts:16

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:01 pm

Metal detector for unexploded ordnance. There used to be a lot of mortar bombs lying around Glen Feshie from troop training in the Second World War. Syd Scroggie mentioned firing them into Cairngorm corries during mountain warfare training. He was sceptical regarding the Nazi's being terror-stricken by his prowess.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby FromDownSouth » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:09 am

Cairngormwanderer wrote:... carry a good wodge of gaffer tape (duct tape)

I second on the duck tape!

Have a long length wrapped around one of my water bottles so it is always with me and weighs nothing. Useful stuff to have for every emergency or first aid
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby Lmitch » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:01 am

agree with both cable ties ( rescued my back pack strap in Chile) and with gaffer tape on the water bottle. But remember to check it mine got so old through not being used that it was then a bit of a mess to use.

Another - dental floss- useful for sewing up wounds!! Sounds odd but years ago it probably saved a friend's life when her walking companion had the bright idea to use it.
Lmitch
Munro compleatist

Postby mrssanta » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:48 pm

Lmitch wrote:
Another - dental floss- useful for sewing up wounds!! Sounds odd but years ago it probably saved a friend's life when her walking companion had the bright idea to use it.

What did she use as a needle?
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to General discussion