walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Tullich Hill Horseshoe

Tullich Hill Horseshoe

Postby weaselmaster » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Beinn Bhreac (Loch Lomond), Tullich Hill

Date walked: 21/08/2016

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 10.4 km

Ascent: 1086m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After 3 weeks out doing other stuff, Allison was back in circulation today so Grahams were back on the menu. A short day, so I reckoned the couple up Glen Douglas would fit the bill - near home and only around 10km. We arrived just after 11 in the parking area just before Invergroin. Forecast had been for a dry day - ha! another rain and clag adventure was in store.

T+B.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Tullich Hill from the parking area
ImageP1130530 by Al, on Flickr

We set off up the side of the conifer plantation at the base of Beinn Bhreac - just a steady grassy incline. Doune and Mid Hill rose behind us across the Glen - the six Luss Grahams, there for another day. Clag descended at around 500m and the rain began too - back on with the waterproofs. Trig point reached we sought shelter from the wind and light rain in an outcrop of rocks west of the summit and had lunch.

The conifer plantation and Doune Hill in backdrop
ImageP1130531 by Al, on Flickr

Tullich Hill and bits of Ben Reoch
ImageP1130533 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Beinn Bhreac
ImageP1130535 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130536 by Al, on Flickr

The next objective was Reoch Hill - hosting 2 Simms. A modest descnt over boggy grassland led to the bealach - occasional glimpses of Loch Lomond on our right through the clag. Probably some good views up here if it's clear. On to what is a very knobbly hill - no cairn on the east top, a small one on the main summit.

To Ben Reoch - glimpse of Loch Lomond
ImageP1130538 by Al, on Flickr

Ben Reoch
ImageP1130540 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130542 by Al, on Flickr

Summit Reoch
ImageP1130543 by Al, on Flickr

We descended down towards An t-Sreang loosely following a fence post line. Ahead of me a big bird flew up from a crag - its colourings as it flew over to Tullich Hill denoted an Osprey - can't recall seeing one of them before. Down to the bealach with Tullich Hill at a depressing 340m - another 300 to ascend. We chose to go round to the right of the big crags ahead of us, though the route I'd drawn took you to the left. Over to the summit cairn with some views down Loch Long to our right.

Descent to Tullich
ImageP1130544 by Al, on Flickr

Tullich, crags
ImageP1130546 by Al, on Flickr

Tullich summit
ImageP1130549 by Al, on Flickr

Descent was by means of a grassy path down the SE shoulder of Tullich, aiming for the farmhouse. I enjoyed a bumslide over long, wet grass, though I'm not sure that was wise wearing a newish pair of waterproof trousers. Back to the road, noting a tiny newt clambering on the roadway. As we walked back to the car the sun comes out and blue sky is all around. Typical!

Loch Long
ImageP1130550 by Al, on Flickr

Doune Hill
ImageP1130553 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130554 by Al, on Flickr

Beinn Bhreac
ImageP1130555 by Al, on Flickr

Tullich
ImageP1130556 by Al, on Flickr

Newt
ImageP1130557 by Al, on Flickr

ImageP1130558 by Al, on Flickr
weaselmaster
Hill Bagger

Munros:277   Corbetts:217
Fionas:195   Donalds:73+30
Sub 2000:391   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:15   Islands:28

Re: Tullich Hill Horseshoe

Postby PeteR » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:34 pm

I remember these two well.

Overcast the day I did them (think I did them in reverse of your route). Stood at that trig point anticipating the cloud lifting so I could get the full view of Loch Lomond. It teased me for a few minutes with the odd glimpse of water here and there before more clag rolled in, but wasn't happening insofar as a full length view was concerned. As I descended down off the hill the clouds suddenly parted and the sun shone. I did something then I don't often do. I turned round and RAN (yes, ran) back up the hill.

Worth it though I thought :D

ImageP1200357 by Pete Riedel, on Flickr
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:122   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland