walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Invarvar Loop

Invarvar Loop

Postby teaandpies » Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:46 pm

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm, Càrn Mairg, Creag Mhòr (Meall na Aighean), Meall Garbh (Càrn Mairg)

Date walked: 18/08/2016

Time taken: 7.15 hours

Distance: 15.5 km

Ascent: 1310m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I was looking for an easy walk to do and this was just the ticket.

Getting to Invarvar involved a now very familiar drive along Loch Lomond, trying desperately to get past lorries only to catch up with another one a few minutes later. :roll:

Finding the car park proved the biggest challenge of the day, I drove past it, turned and on my return through Invarvar I ased a lad whom was working (fencing) where it was... "Just there mate." I felt like a total wally.

Finding the path was easy mind you and takes you up to a broken open wall at which you need to go through then take the gatd to the right. Follow this path to another gate and continue on up the path through the woods until you come to yet another gate.

The hill walkers car park

You're walk starts here

A path up through the woods

Once clear of the woods its at this point you have to choose what direction to do the walk in. I choose clockwise because I thought it looked easier and because you finish on the highlight summit.

The walk along the hydro road is rocky underfoot so I huged the edge of the road where was better compacted.

This bridge is made out of paper

This part of the walk is well sign posted, they lead you over the burn via a rickety bridge and then up the back that hugs the edge of the woods.

Invarvar Burn

A wee rest

A gloomy Glen Lyon

A few deer on the horizon

The snaking path

Walking in clag is a total downer but Carn Gorm has a few false summits which makes it a bit worse but it's not difficult once your out of the wetter ground.

The first cairn of the day....

and another...

Finally!

Broken Trig

I had my fill of the viewless summit so left fairly quickly and just followed the path down for a bit and stopped for a roll, it wasn't really needed but it's a new tactic I'm deploying for my hill walks...eating! I tend not eat a large amount when I'm out but today I was taking tactical breaks to see if I'd improve my hill walking performance. Today I'd eat 4 rolls! The most food I've ever eaten while on the hills.

As I sat in the clag just out of the wind I was cursing MWIS for giving me a decent weather report and a high percentage chance of a cloud free Munro.

As I followed the unmissable path to my next target the cloud just seemed to disappear :D

Loch Rannoch

Just follow the fence posts

First glimpse of Meall Garbh

Meall Garbh cairn, looking to Carn Gorm

Looking to Loch Rannoch

Liz & Gary were here apparently

looking to Carn Mairg...your next

Chello rock

Just follow the fence again

Still no expansive views

The clag was off my hills but was still thick on the surrounding ranges.

Meall Garbh seems so far off now

Just off the Carn Mairg summit

Carn Gorm & Meall Garbh are under that somewhere

Summit

Looking to Creag Mhor

Looking back

The walk to the fonal Munro of the day is largely a straight forward trudge over short grassy ground but thete are 1 or 2 nice geographical features to be seen if thats your kinda thing.

Geography and that

Final short pull to the top

Coire Chearcaill

Carn Gorm, Meall Garbh & Carn Mairg

The top

Rocky top

I found out later that Ben Dolphin was on Schiehallion.

Sunny here, unlucky Schiehallion in cloud

I went off the beaten path for the walk out, it took a bit longer but happy enough to walk it and be rewarded as I seen an enormous heard of deer. The picture doesn't do any justice to what my eyes were seeing, the most dear I've ever seen in one place.

The long walk out

Please don't fall on me

Huge heard of deer

Salt lick for deer??

Old hut

The light changing

It was about now the light became amazing and the sky was clearing. I'm looking to get into the wild camping game, I feel that I'm missing out on decent evening walking.

Carn Gorm!

Creag Mhor

Glen Lyon

The drive down Loch Tay was very pleasant, not much traffic and incredible views. This was the nicest I've ever seen the area. Gorgeous golden light, no clouds or haze. I genuinely almost ran my car off the road looking up at Ben Lawers :lol:

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland