walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Summit camping in The NW Highlands

Summit camping in The NW Highlands

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:06 pm

Route description: An Ruadh-stac

Corbetts included on this walk: An Ruadh-stac, Fuar Tholl

Date walked: 23/08/2016

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Fuar Tholl and An Ruadh Stac

Film:

After a ten day holiday with the kids , it was back to school for them on Tuesday and as always after six weeks of changeable weather, the weather gods decided that summer was to return as they headed back into their new classes for the first term.

I had child cover on the Monday and a chance to use my last day of annual leave in the hills, but where to go? The forecasted Summer conditions were coming, but no one was sure whether it would arrive Sunday, Monday or first day back Tuesday!!

I left my decision late to give me the best chance on getting a location with nice weather and decided on heading to Glen Carron. I had been up Sgurr Ruadh and Beinn Liath Mor a few years ago and left out Fuar Tholl, hoping to return and climb it. However I hadn’t planned on the route that I eventually took. My finally look at the weather was suggesting the cloud would clear but not until the Monday so I wanted to stay out and enjoy this and head up a hill through Monday. The decision was made- a wild camp on Fual Tholls Summit then An Ruadh Stac for the Monday. This involved taking the well-travelled path to Tholls summit and I knew it would be on pathless terrain, but would enable me to drop down to the Fion-abhainn the next day and head up An Ruadh Stac…..

I said my good byes and left my route card with the wife and headed onto the A9. It was around 1pm on Sunday and the road was busy as usual. I eventually got to Coulags around the back of 4 and was on my way. Lots of work being carried out in the lower section of the Glen but I was soon past this and feel optimistic. An Ruadh Stac was clear of cloud and as Fuar Tholl is roughly the same height, I felt confident I would be getting some views once I reached the top. With camera equipment weighing just about the same as the camping gear (I finally weighed my kit!!!) progress was slow, but that was ok – no rush – until the midge came that was……

My hopes for a summit camp with expansive panoramas were dashed as I finally made the summit. The clag was in and as much as I willed it away– it just didn’t budge!! No sunsets and a rather cold evening on the summit!!!

I set the alarm for just before sunset but when I popped my head out it seemed the clag was still in. Problem was my porch was facing west! 20 minutes later when nature called, I realised the views to the east were clear and soon the clag was quickly dissipating! The views were worth the gamble, absolutely superb, it was going to be a good day!

Sunrise:
ImageSunrise by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Ridge?
Imageridge walker by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Looking to Torridon:
Imagered TORRIDON by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

After lots of videoing I packed up and headed for An Ruadh Stac. The descent needed care, especially with a third of my body weight on my back! The views were getting better and better and the blue skies to the east were slowly eating away the remaining western clouds….

I Made my way for the fork in the path and was soon standing on the nice even ground of the path! I dumped most of my kit and took essentials in a small rucksack as I started the ascent to An Ruadh Stac. I must admit his felt awesome after the weight of the camping/camera gear on the pathless terrain. The sun was now in control and blue skies reined above! Almost felt like I was hiking on the content as I strode along the white quartzite path, the sun reflecting up off the rock. On reaching the Bealach the view to this Corbett and its surroundings was amazing, one of the best views in my opinion. The blue lochan shimmered whilst An Ruadg Stac shone white high above.

Imagean ruadh stac by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The hike up didn’t disappoint either with minor scrambling and lot (and lots) of rock! It got even better at the top as the views opened up. Taking top spot was Beinn Damh which looked spectacular as did Maol Chean Dearg which took up more of the horizon slightly to the SE.

Beinn Damh:
ImageAn Ruadh sTAC by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

MCD:
Imagemunro by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

The wind was up but it was a warm wind (not often said here!!). After lots of photo taking I was soon descending and a long walk back was followed by an even longed drive. However all worth it and I may even go as far as saying that An Ruadh Stac may be one of the finest mountains I’ve visited :)

Imagemorning tORRIDON PANO by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr
wilkiemurray

Re: Summit camping in The NW Highlands

Postby jacob » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:31 pm

As always very impressed with both your motion and non motion pictures. :thumbup:
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby Andymac75 » Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:07 am

Awesome .
Andymac75

Postby tweedledog » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:20 am

Great stuff! Maybe you'll do the same showing the camera/drone equipment...?
tweedledog
Wanderer

Postby Borderhugh » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:52 pm

Great stuff WM. Those 2 hills look real beauties and the views are fab. Havent considered using my compeed pack for eating, suppose it beats using your fingers. I'm with you on the Chicken Tikka though :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:118
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:100   Islands:23

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:02 pm

jacob wrote:As always very impressed with both your motion and non motion pictures. :thumbup:

Thanks Jacob - hopefully more adventures coming soon:)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:03 pm

tweedledog wrote:Great stuff! Maybe you'll do the same showing the camera/drone equipment...?

Have thought about it - if I get enough people asking Ill set one up :)

Thanks for reading/watching

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:05 pm

Borderhugh wrote:Great stuff WM. Those 2 hills look real beauties and the views are fab. Havent considered using my compeed pack for eating, suppose it beats using your fingers. I'm with you on the Chicken Tikka though :clap:

Haha - the compeed pack worked out ok - just not long enough and so had orange fingers for the rest of the weekend ;) :lol:

Chicken Tikka is rather tasty though

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby dogplodder » Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:01 pm

Okay, you've convinced me, I've got to climb this hill! 8)

Met one of your buddies on the way up from the Lost Valley as I was heading down. He said he was going to camp up top and it turned out he knew you - but I can't remember his name. :roll:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland