walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ghlas & the Lawers of averages

Beinn Ghlas & the Lawers of averages

Postby Graeme D » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:29 pm

Route description: Ben Lawers and Beinn Ghlas

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ghlas, Ben Lawers

Date walked: 12/06/2010

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Ascent: 860m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

My original plan for the weekend was to sling the tent in the car on Friday after work and head north/west somewhere, not to return home until Sunday. However, other commitments meant this idea had to be abandoned but with the forecast looking good for Saturday, I still intended getting out for the day. I though about heading for the Mamores but my wife fancied an outing but not going that far. So we settled on Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers, my last two remaining summits in the group. I'd read a few comments on here recently about people never getting decent weather on Ben Lawers, so maybe we'd buck the trend today!

We were at the busy car park at the visitors centre just after noon, and up and running across the boardwalk by quarter past. There was a steady stream of walkers snaking their way up and down the well used path up onto Beinn Ghlas.

IMG_3871.jpg
Mountain solitude could be at a premium today!

I'd opted for shorts but wisely decided from the outset to swap the short sleeved top I had on for a heavier long sleeved number. The weather didn't seem to be living up to predictions and it was becoming increasingly overcast with the wind biting deeply across the more exposed sections of the ascent. It looked like the curse of Ben Lawers weather was about to strike again! :(

IMG_3878.jpg
Meall nan Tarmachan from ascent of Beinn Ghlas

IMG_3882.jpg
Loch Tay from Beinn Ghlas ascent path

IMG_3884.jpg
Meall Corranaich

By the time we approached the summit of Beinn Ghlas, I had gloves and a wind cheater on and had long since given up hope of getting any use out of my sunglasses today. We found a nice little sheltered spot amongst some rocks and settled down for lunch as a steady procession of walkers headed past a short distance away on the path.

IMG_3886.jpg
Approaching Beinn Ghlas summit, Ben Lawers popping up behind

IMG_3887.jpg
Summit of Beinn Ghlas

From the summit, it looked like there were enough people crowded atop Ben Lawers to get a game of football going (11 a side that is!) including referee and linesmen. I could swear I could hear some African horns too, but that turned out just to be a hideous flashback to the mind-numbing Uruguay v. France game the night before. :lol:

IMG_3889.jpg
North to Glen Lyon

IMG_3891.jpg
The bulk of Ben Lawers

IMG_3894.jpg
Meall a' Choire Leith

The dip down onto the connecting ridge to Ben Lawers offered a little respite from the biting wind on some sections, but we were soon in the teeth of it again as we made the final pull up the summit cone of Lawers. At least when we got there we had the place to ourselves for 5 minutes or so before a couple pulled in behind us and two blokes arrived from An Stuc.

IMG_3895.jpg
Beinn Ghlas from Ben Lawers

IMG_3897.jpg
Nearing Ben Lawers summit

We hung around for a good quarter of an hour os so at the summit before heading back down to the bealach and along the bypass path between Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich.

IMG_3900.jpg
Atop summit indicator

IMG_3904.jpg
Debbie and Lucy at trig point

IMG_3905.jpg
East down Loch Tay

IMG_3908.jpg
Beinn Ghlas, Meall nan Tarmachan and Meall Corrainaich

IMG_3912.jpg
An Stuc, Meall Garbh and Lochan nan Cat

Back at the car in 4 hours 10 and off to the Kenmore Hotel for a well earned pit-stop en route home. Not quite the weather we had been expecting but at least the rain held off. Definitely like to come back and do all seven (or five at least) in one go in deep winter conditions. 8)
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Beinn Ghlas & the Lawers of averages

Postby benno » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:10 pm

Dear me Mr Dewar, your titles get more obscure every time! :lol:
benno

Munros:282   Corbetts:35
Fionas:16   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:31   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Postby MG1976 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:52 pm

Nice report Graeme.
Some nice pictures showing the route and the terrain. Looks like you had a descent day even if it was a bit windy.
(At least you could see where you were going, which is always a plus point.)
I'm planning on taking on these two hills (and possibly An Stuc & Meall Corranaich, if my legs are up to it) at some point in the next few weeks, so this is just the kind of report I like to read :) One that I can use to gauge the route and some very helpul pictures to assist with my own planning. Pictures of where i'm going, are always a massive help.

Cheers,
Martin
MG1976
Mountain Walker

Corbetts:5
Sub 2000:1   

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:59 pm

Nice report fella and good to see a view from the top. Twice i've climbed Ben Lawers and twice i've seen 'Jack'' Lets hope you bring the clear skies to our Corbett extravaganza next month :)
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby bushcraft2 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:39 pm

I'v been up there as well. It's a great walk. I did Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers... in fact my favourite Munro is Beinn Ghlas.
bushcraft2
Munro compleatist

Munros:4   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   
Wainwrights:1   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland