walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

"Take 2 " on Beinn an Dothaidh

"Take 2 " on Beinn an Dothaidh

Postby Coop » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:51 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn an Dòthaidh

Date walked: 31/08/2016

Time taken: 4.25 hours

Ascent: 1004m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cracking past 2 days having done Beinn Eunaich and Beinn a'chochuill on Monday, and Meall Bhuidhe and Stuc an lochain on yesterday .

Today though was a good day too far.
Read the weather reports a few times and it was to be a bit drizzly throughout the day and a wee bit of wind, so I headed back to the bridge of orchy car park to walk beinn an dothaidh ( the last time the weather was bad so I headed back after reaching beinn dorain)

Wee bit of rain so i sat in the car for 20 minutes watching a couple of west highland walkers take on a can of hot dogs with a Swiss army knife.
Time to set off and just before the huge boulder the rain and wind hit me- jacket on and fight my way up to the cairn.
Couldn't see a thing, so just set a bearing and headed on it. Through the boulders through the bogs over the small streamlet and onto the wee path up to the cairns.
Headed left and got a pic of this. The camera was put back in its wee waterproof bag and packed away again until way past the big boulder on the descent.

Was going to head straight back and realised there was another cairn somewhere so went back along the wee path and up to it.
Small stone put in place.
Time to get down, sharpish.

Back to the cairn then the boulder watching my footing as the path was a river by now. Fleece and gloves went on at this point

One good thing I did witness was that the wind came quite strong for a minute or so, blew all the clag from both mountains and in front of me. I was quite impressed with this.

The rain and wind eased on the way back to the hotel. I had a flask on me but fancied a cup of coffee. I should have asked at the bar rather than stand at the sign saying "please wait to be seated". I waited about 10 minutes and no one took any notice then turned round and left.
To be fair, the hotel looked a bit busy and there were loads of WHW walkers milling about so they were probably busy dealing with them as well.

Green welly stop it was then.

Top tips for Beinn dorain and Beinn an dothaidh ( or any mountain) - which we all know.

1. Doesn't matter how good your boots and gaiters are; if your trousers get wet, then eventually your feet are getting wet.

2. If you want views don't go out in the rain/clag.

I'll end up going back next summer for these 2 again, as I think they actually look impressive and a good day would do them the justice they deserve.

Wildlife watch today; 2 pheasant near ducklage farm just off A82 and 2 sets of 5 grouse near the summit (probably the same group)

Cap doffed to Beinn an dothaidh
Coop
Munro compleatist

Munros:78   Corbetts:123
Fionas:68   Donalds:52+16
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:41
Wainwrights:65   Islands:14
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland