walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Scotland's most Spectalcular Waterfall???

Scotland's most Spectalcular Waterfall???

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 04, 2016 9:23 am

Route description: Falls of Glomach via Glen Elchaig

Corbetts included on this walk: Sgùrr Gaorsaic, Sgùrr Mhic Bharraich

Date walked: 04/09/2016

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Falls of Glomach

The last day of my 6 day Corbetteering trip and I had left a long day to finish up on. The target for the day was Sgurr Gaorsaic- The Horror Peak! I had been utilising the bike well for the previous week and thought another trip up the beautiful Glen Elchaig would round things off nicely. Additionally this route offers passage past the Falls which are described as the most impressive in the UK-I would wait and see…

The day started off well with only a hint of rain coming through the clouds which were well broken. The previous three days had been wet wet wet and with wild winds on the tops so I was looking forward to a slightly better day weather wise today. I headed off from Killilan about 0830 and was soon flying up Glen Elchaig on the bike.
Unlike the previous few days I only encountered a handful of Highland Cows blocking my path and as usual I gave them a wide berth. The sun was now more prevalent as I hid the bike and headed off on foot up towards the gorge of the Allt a’ Ghlomaich. This was fantastic, the path was narrow and relatively exposed but the gorge felt pre historic and I felt like I was wondering around Jurassic Park! Although fine for hillwalkers this is definitely no tourist path and I would be wary about tackling it with children or inexperienced walkers!

ImageFalls of Glomach by Scotland's Mountains, on Flickr

Soon the falls came in to sight and the sound of the water falling 375 ft was immense. I was looking forward to a closer view. To achieve this you need to drop down a steep path to a platform that give a great view of the falls. What an immense place. I have posted a few pictures and also hope the short film does the falls justice….. Are these the most impressive falls in the UK??

After taking in the falls I headed off o bag the Corbett. The ground between the falls and the Horror Peak is pathless , boggy and very rough!! I must admit that I was glad to get back to the path after bagging this one. Crossing the burn also proved a little tricky but I had my gaiters on and headed over with the water getting to about knee height! The views from the top were great and showed off how may bigger peaks there are in the area, from the tops in Glen Affric to those in the Sheil area.
I eventually got back to the car around 1700 and then a 3.5hr drive home to end the holiday.
wilkiemurray

Re: Scotland's most Spectalcular Waterfall???

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 3:28 pm

Think there are supposed to be a couple bigger, but it depends on whether you take the whole thing or an uninterrupted fall (One is the Steall Fall). More water in your video than I have seen in the Falls of Glomach. Incidentally, I don't understand the O/S treatment of waterfalls. In my view, all these waterfalls are more spectacular than e.g. Rutter Force, which we saw in the Yorkshire Dales, yet in the Dales they print a big blue box around the name to make it stand out, and name it, whereas in Scotland they just write waterfall.
Below Rutter Force after a storm. To my view it looks less wild and more manicured, but that is the fault of the geology I think

https://www.flickr.com/photos/margt2008/29211186612/in/dateposted-public/
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby wilkiemurray » Sun Sep 04, 2016 5:43 pm

Sgurr wrote:Think there are supposed to be a couple bigger, but it depends on whether you take the whole thing or an uninterrupted fall (One is the Steall Fall). More water in your video than I have seen in the Falls of Glomach. Incidentally, I don't understand the O/S treatment of waterfalls. In my view, all these waterfalls are more spectacular than e.g. Rutter Force, which we saw in the Yorkshire Dales, yet in the Dales they print a big blue box around the name to make it stand out, and name it, whereas in Scotland they just write waterfall.
Below Rutter Force after a storm. To my view it looks less wild and more manicured, but that is the fault of the geology I think

https://www.flickr.com/photos/margt2008/29211186612/in/dateposted-public/

Hi Sgurr - indeed the River Crossing a little further on involved some wading :) This was on Friday and it had been pretty wet in the prior days - probably a good time to catch the falls :) I looked up the longest falls and you are righ here are two which are higher - Steall and one in Sutherland somewhere - very impressive they were too.

Just watched your video of the Rutter Force- look impressive too but a little less remote ;)

ATB

Murray
wilkiemurray

Postby Sgurr » Sun Sep 04, 2016 6:42 pm

Just re-watched your video. Is that you or a mate in it? If you, how do you control the remote? Do you have a drone for those aerial shot?. Very impressive. I just have a video feature on my camera, and I have been using it in a way that makes people feel sea-sick, so there is a lot more to it than I thought. Have been up that glen so often, as we never seemed to manage more than one hill at a time. So went up there for the Corbetts, and for Breabag and for An Cruachan, and for (Munro) An Socach and to attempt An Socach when bike got a puncture. Mind you, it is one of the more bike friendly tracks in the Highlands.
Sgurr
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:569   Hewitts:172
Wainwrights:214   Islands:58

Postby Beaner001 » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:35 pm

Stunning video again Murray :clap:
was not aware of this waterfall, might get to see it in person one day :wink:
Beaner001
Mountain Walker

Munros:241   Corbetts:29
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   

Postby Borderhugh » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:13 pm

Looks brill with the drone footage :clap:
Borderhugh
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:120
Fionas:47   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:104
Wainwrights:102   Islands:23

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Sgurr wrote:Just re-watched your video. Is that you or a mate in it? If you, how do you control the remote? Do you have a drone for those aerial shot?. Very impressive. I just have a video feature on my camera, and I have been using it in a way that makes people feel sea-sick, so there is a lot more to it than I thought. Have been up that glen so often, as we never seemed to manage more than one hill at a time. So went up there for the Corbetts, and for Breabag and for An Cruachan, and for (Munro) An Socach and to attempt An Socach when bike got a puncture. Mind you, it is one of the more bike friendly tracks in the Highlands.

Hi - Yes a lovely track for a cycle (until you met the Highland Coos barring the way ;)!! Went up it three time last week and found it really nice. The drone has special feature which lock it into GPS and allows it to follow me etc whilst filming :)
wilkiemurray

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:58 pm

Beaner001 wrote:Stunning video again Murray :clap:
was not aware of this waterfall, might get to see it in person one day :wink:

Thanks Beaner, I wasn't aware of these falls either until researching roues to the Corbett - well worth a visit if in the area :)
wilkiemurray

Postby litljortindan » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:00 pm

Don't know if it is the most spectacular but certainly a great place to visit, albeit we made the mistake of only viewing the top half. Drone certainly seems the best way to capture.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland