walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Far North Munros

The Far North Munros

Postby IainG » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:13 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Hope, Ben Klibreck

Date walked: 21/03/2009

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Rather than do two separate reports, I've combined this into one covering a 4 day outing up to Sutherland to complete the two far north Munros of Ben Hope and Ben Klibreck.

This was a midweek jaunt as the weather looked too good to be true, and with the lousy weather of the past few months, we were not missing any chance of good walking and great views. We were not to be disappointed.

WJ had some car issues, so I headed down to Fife, picked him up, and we headed up towards the far north. We headed up the A9, passed through Inverness, Bonar Bridge, Lairg, and stopped for a pint at the Crask Inn. A great place, surprisingly tasty Black Isle Brewery Beer, and the owners were great company.

From here, we followed the hairy wee single track road from Altnaharra, finally arriving at the start of the walk. I mean right at the start. This is the beauty of a campervan - out of bed onto hill.

"Are we here yet?"

The weather was fairly gloomy when we set off on the thursday morning. The sky threatened to clear, but it was not to be. On the ascent, this was the view down Strath More.

Ben Hope had a cloudy hat on.

Soon we were in the cloud. A strong icy wind. It occasionally cleared and we could see an inversion, but couldn't get the camera out in time. We finally arrived at the cairn.

On the descent, it was starting to clear. The view west over this geological wonderland.

Within minutes, the whole sky began to clear, on the descent.

Looking down Strath More from the carpark.

Rather than blast onto do Klibreck on the same day, we opted for a laze around in the sun, drying sweaty gear and sorting kit for the next day. Great summer feel about the air!

We packed up and headed out for a drive round the coast to Tongue. Looking back at an impressive Ben Hope from the north side.

Stunning looking Ben Loyal.

This is where we were rewarded for our troubles. We stopped in the Tongue Hotel for a pint and chatting with the barmaid, we were informed that there was a swimming pool in Bettyhill, 15miles along the coast.

What better recovery. For £4.10 we got a swim in a great wee pool, a sauna and a jacuzzi. Weary muscles relished the luxury!

From Bettyhill, we headed down Strathnaver on a beautiful evening. This drive has to be done to be believed. The scenery was stunning as we drove into a cracking sunset over Loch Naver.

A brilliant end to a outstanding day in Scotland.

We parked up in a secluded wee spot in Strath Vagastie ready for the next day. We awoke to a stunner. The weather was incredible, no wind and it was warming up at 0700. It was definitely off with the layers and into the ultralight clothing.

Ben Klibreck in the clear skies.

Ben Hope and Ben Loyal in the distance.

Ben Hee in the distance.

We chose a line a good bit south on the ridge and it was an out and out grunt. I was glad I could stop and take pictures! Ben Klibreck along the ridge.

We stopped for a breather at the rocky patch before the summit cone. It was roasting. We loaded up with water and chocolate, dumped the bags and headed up.

The views from the top were breathtaking.

We made it a long day by following the ridge all the way back down.

IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Re: The Far North Munros

Postby doogz » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:58 pm

Great stuff iain...loved doing these as well minus the summit views though...been away masel wait till ye see ma reports ..might even rival yours

cheerz

doogz 8) 8)
doogz

Postby yokehead » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:02 pm

A cracking report, the photos capture the essence of a land I've only read about. A camper van looks like a brilliant way to go and I also liked the scenery in the van interior photo about halfway into the report. 8)
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby petr.spina » Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:39 pm

Excellent report. Breathtaking scenery. Gooooood! I have to go there :)
petr.spina

Munros:3   
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland