walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Not Snowdon

Not Snowdon

Postby andy63 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:03 am

Hewitts included on this walk: Crib y Ddysgl, Y Lliwedd

Date walked: 16/08/2016

Time taken: 6.3

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 1282m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I did two of Snowdon's neighbours but didn't quite get to the top of the big one.

Parking the car in Llanberis, I caught the bus up to Pen y Pass, then took the Miners Path and turned left onto the path leading to Y Lliwedd.

IMG_0567.JPG
Miners track

IMG_0568.JPG
Lliwedd path

IMG_0570.JPG

The path becomes a scramble as it heads up to the ridge, and then a good path leads up to the summit.

IMG_0571.JPG

IMG_0572.JPG
The path gets steeper

IMG_0574.JPG
Up the ridge towards Lliwedd and Snowdon

IMG_0575.JPG
distant mountains

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0578 (2).JPG
goats

I didn't stay long on the summit of Y Lliwedd because I was attacked by a swarm of flies.

IMG_0580.JPG
Y Lliwedd summit

There's a long rocky descent with a bit of scrambling before the path joins the Watkin Path route up Snowdon. The upper reaches of the Watkin Path are very steep - the kind of path that would be difficult to climb without having good grip on your shoes.

IMG_0581.JPG
Descent

IMG_0584.JPG
Looking back at Y Lliwedd

IMG_0586.JPG
Top of Watkin Path

It was a sunny day in the school holidays so it wasn't surprising to find a lot of people on Snowdon - probably the most crowded summit area I've ever been on.

IMG_0587.JPG
Lleyn Peninsula

IMG_0588.JPG
Snowdon summit

I decided the summit already had enough people standing on it so I didn't bother with it (I'd been there twice before.) Instead I went to the nearby top of Garnedd Ugain, also known as Crib y Ddysgl.

IMG_0589.JPG
Garnedd Ugain / Crib y Ddysgl

This was a more important objective to me as it meant I'd finally completed the Welsh 3000 footers.
Although the summit wasn't deserted, it was a more peaceful place to stop for lunch than the other place.

IMG_0590.JPG
Garnedd Ugain summit

I started following the Crib y Ddysgl ridge downhill, but when I came to a downward scramble I didn't like the look of, I changed my mind and went down the easy way instead.

IMG_0591.JPG
Crib y Ddysgl

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0593.JPG
Pyg track descent
andy63

Munros:114   Corbetts:8
Fionas:13   Donalds:27+12
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:316
Wainwrights:214   Islands:22

Re: Not Snowdon

Postby HalfManHalfTitanium » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:13 pm

great photos of a day with perfect conditions!
HalfManHalfTitanium
Mountain Walker

Munros:119   Corbetts:28
Fionas:6   Donalds:6
Hewitts:152
Wainwrights:103   

Postby ChrisW » Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:04 pm

Great stuff and lovely photos in the very best of weather andy, awesome :clap: Congrats on nailing the last of the welsh 3000's. I can understand you avoiding Snowdon summit, there always seems to be far too many folks up there....until the train stops running :wink:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby jacob » Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:40 am

Nothing wrong with walking past Snowdon summit. Yes, it's Wales's highest, but no, it's not the most impressive gsummit on the horseshoe. There's great views to be captured from Y Lliwedd, while missing out on the crowds. Good choice, good report.
jacob

Munros:19   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   
Hewitts:19

Postby DaveX » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:01 am

Weather looked amazing for you! Love the route you've taken but never seen it so sunny and green. Mega mountain envy.
DaveX
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:92
Wainwrights:17   

Postby simon-b » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:47 pm

Great scenery in a spectacular place, Andy. It's ages since I climbed Snowdon, and I've been away from Wales too long. The Welsh 3000 footers are definitely on the radar now. Looks like you had a superb day, avoiding the crowds.
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland