walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui & Cairn Gorm from the North an excellent walk

Ben Macdui & Cairn Gorm from the North an excellent walk

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:16 pm

Route description: Ben Macdui and Cairngorm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 10/09/2016

Time taken: 5.3 hours

Distance: 17.5 km

Ascent: 1067m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had not climbed Ben Macdui from the North before as I had always tackled it from the South in the past. Another deciding factor was the campsites available from the North especially Dalraddy being so much better and cheaper than the one at Braemar, so a quick car journey to the Cairgorm Ski lift carpark from Dalraddy to meet up with Martin who had decided to stay at the nearer but very much more expensive campsite at Glenmore.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

a.JPG
Setting off from the Cairngorm Ski lift car park, bright and sunny overhead for once
c.JPG
The three amigos all dressed accordingly, what a team
d.JPG
Further up the well made path
e.JPG
Furter up but looking back towards Loch Morlich
f.JPG
An excellent path all the way to the summit plateau
g.JPG
Braeriach in the background
h.JPG
i.JPG
Looking over the Lairig Ghru
j.JPG
On the rocky summit plateau looking West
k.JPG
The only sign of water during the day on the summit, a small spring
m.JPG
The four with Braeriach behind
n.JPG
Having a snack at the summit having reached it in 2 hours 25mins
o.JPG
Summit photo
p.JPG
Heading back the way we had come taking the right fork behind Lochan Buidhe towards Cairngorm
q.JPG
Ben Avon tors in the background
r.JPG
Martin with the Coire an t-Sneachda cliffs behind
s.JPG
Looking North
t1.JPG
cliffs
u.JPG
Interesting
v.JPG
Fancy a wee scramble, then follow Pauline
w.JPG
Loch Morlich again
x.JPG
Looking South towards Ben Avon
y.JPG
From Cairngorm looking back
z.JPG
Group photo on the summit. Thereafter it was a matter of following a line of cairns and a laid stone path between tape on either side back towards the Ski tow area and building yard before descending to the car park. Another great day on the hill.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Ben Macdui & Cairn Gorm from the North an excellent walk

Postby Petr Dakota » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Hi Rod, nice duo in a good conditions...and the Dalraddy camp I can recommend too, we had a great time there with my family two years ago :D
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Sunset tripper » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 pm

Nice one Rod. Looks like a cracking day. I prefer the Aviemore side for accesss to the Cairngorms. Im not keen on the caravan club campsite at Braemar or any of them for that matter. :D. Better bars in Aviemore too if your into that sort of thing.
Fairly easy access from the ski carpark to the big tops as well.
I think that picture you took of the hill with the tors on the summit might be Beinn mheadhoin could be wrong though.
All the best. :D
Sunset tripper

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Petr Dakota wrote:Hi Rod, nice duo in a good conditions...and the Dalraddy camp I can recommend too, we had a great time there with my family two years ago :D

Hi Petr, as well as bring cheaper less midges as well. A great wee campsite, I will return, great for the kids as well.
The Rodmiester
Walker

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:19 pm

Sunset tripper wrote:Nice one Rod. Looks like a cracking day. I prefer the Aviemore side for accesss to the Cairngorms. Im not keen on the caravan club campsite at Braemar or any of them for that matter. :D. Better bars in Aviemore too if your into that sort of thing.
Fairly easy access from the ski carpark to the big tops as well.
I think that picture you took of the hill with the tors on the summit might be Beinn mheadhoin could be wrong though.
All the best. :D

Hi Sunset tripper, you might be tight about Beinn Mheadhoin tors , I'd better check it again. I've heard the caravan club at Braemar won't let you take your car in after a certain time even though you have paid for it. I don't think they really want campers, if you know what I mean. Glad you agree with the Northern approach being better, I certainly will use the North side when taking the Grandkids up to the Cairngorms, excellent paths and some superb views. I've just remembered I didn't post a photo of the rock I thought was a tent on the way up to the summit, but no doubt my mate will post his version of the event.
The Rodmiester
Walker

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland