walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn A'Chrulaiste, Wild camp + Glencoe Miky Way!

Beinn A'Chrulaiste, Wild camp + Glencoe Miky Way!

Postby grahamw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 9:29 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chrùlaiste

Date walked: 08/08/2016

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I had taken a weeks holiday from work and was granted permission, from my very generous wife, to head to the hills for a wild camp. Since my last wild camp, I had purchased a drone and was eager to properly test it out.

Location of choice - Glencoe, Beinn A'Chrulaiste.

I was on Beinn A'Chrulaiste exactly one month before this trip (8th July) and managed to capture a breath taking image at dusk with some light trails travelling through the valley of Glencoe.

ImageValley Of Glencoe Light Trails by Graham Williamson, on Flickr
ImageGlencoe Light Trails by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

The weather turned nasty that night and I had to postpone a wild camp. So, here I am, back for round two - hopeful of some better weather and a successful camp. My rucksack for this trip weighed a tonne with all my camera equipment on board. I was also carrying my drone separately in one hand which, after ten minutes of hiking, was a severe hindrance (a new rucksack is on my wish list). I kept telling myself it will all be worth it when I set up camp and get some awesome aerial footage.

After hiking to Stob Beinn a'Chrulaiste (not the actual summit of Beinn a'Chrulaiste), I was frantically trying to get my camera out of my bag, set up my tri pod and capture this amazing view through Glencoe. The sun was bursting through the clouds every now and again, casting long sun rays along the valley floor and over the top of Buachaille Etive Mor. To be able to stand and witness the contrast of shadows and sun rays beating through the valley was an incredible feeling, but being able to capture and share the image was even better. What an atmosphere! Visit Scotland added this picture to their Instagram page, which I was very grateful for!

ImageGlencoe - Shadows & Sun Beams by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

The wind was ferocious and was showing no signs of letting up, so I decided to head back to the car and move further through Glencoe to try and find some shelter from the wind. It would have been impossible to pitch a tent and fly a drone in the strong winds. This means that for the second time in a month I carried my heavy rucksack back to the car, gutted that I couldn't camp on the summit of Beinn a'Chrulaiste.

Determined to camp somewhere in Glencoe I left Altnafeadh and parked the car near the Pass of Glencoe. I followed the path behind the stone wall towards the lower slopes of A'Chailleach. Passing by "The Study", I climbed a little higher and found a sheltered spot behind a rock to pitch my tent. The light was fading quickly, so I took some more photos and had a shot of flying the drone around the area.

ImageGlencoe Sunset by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

At around 10pm the light had almost disappeared and the wind had dropped significantly, so I was trying to capture more light trails running through the Pass of Glencoe with the Three Sisters to my left. Most of the next hour was spent taking images and checking the focus on my camera as it's very difficult trying to focus in the dark. I took similar photos through Dusk and the Blue Hour, then into the early hours of the next morning capturing a variety of light trails and starry skies.

ImageGlencoe Lightrails At Dusk by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Blue Hour Light Trails by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Wild Camp with Light Trails - Aug 2016 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

The clouds had totally disappeared, the wind had died down and there was no midges around...the perfect setting for some astrophotography. I have been to a few places in Scotland trying to photograph the night sky, but I have never seen so many stars before. The sky was full of shooting stars and the Milky Way was visible to the naked eye. I got a rush of excitement every time I took a picture of the Milky Way and couldn't wait to get home to edit the pics. As an avid hill walker and amateur photographer there's nothing more satisfying than carrying all that expensive and HEAVY equipment up a hill and being able to capture and share the atmosphere you were surrounded by at that moment in time.

ImageGlencoe Wild Camp by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Wild Camp 2 by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Tent & Milkt Way by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

ImageGlencoe Tent View - Milky Way by Graham Williamson, on Flickr

Lastly, I need to apologize as I never summit-ed any Munros, Corbetts etc or traveled any great distance on this trip. I just wanted to share the great experience I had wild camping in Glencoe. When I'm looking for inspiration to take photos I'm always reading Walkhighlands walk reports and taking note of future locations. Hopefully, this report can inspire someone else to get out and enjoy the beautiful country we live in.
grahamw

Munros:85   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Re: Beinn A'Chrulaiste, Wild camp + Glencoe Miky Way!

Postby Marty_JG » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:23 am

Fantastic photographs, really wish I had those skills.

All I have at the moment is a cheap "happy snapper" Lumix type camera. Could you recommend a cheap "starter" camera, as light as possible, to get started? Probably want the option of some focus but also a wider shot.
Marty_JG
Backpacker

Munros:10   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:3

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Wonderful :clap: :clap: :clap: I can promise you that if the pleasure that people like me get from looking at the pics counts in the reckoning, then it was well worth lugging that HEAVY gear up the hill. Thanks for posting.
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby katyhills » Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:41 pm

Couldn't agree more with Alteknacker's comment. Absolutely stunning. Thank you for lugging your gear! :D

I was on Chrulaiste back in late spring and got some nice shots of the Bookil etc. It's a great viewpoint.
katyhills
Walker

Munros:120   Corbetts:28
Fionas:7   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:3   

Postby grahamw » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:04 pm

Appreciate your comments, thanks!
grahamw

Munros:85   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:4

Postby ancancha » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:03 pm

Some quality shots their Graham :clap:
ancancha
Mountain Walker

Munros:84   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1

Postby FromDownSouth » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:05 am

All simply stunning.

Enjoyed watching the YT video and will be subscribing going forward.

The images were amazing and you should be entering them into the monthly competition that is held on the forum if you are not already!
FromDownSouth
Mountaineer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:11 pm

Wonderful photos, thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby Andy74G » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:14 pm

Some fabulous photo's there , :clap: really like the ribbon of fire effect from the car lights though the glen, how did you manage to capture the night sky so well ? :clap:
Andy74G
Mountaineer

Munros:54   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:4

16 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland