walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Hiant - Blessed Mountain views

Ben Hiant - Blessed Mountain views

Postby denfinella » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:09 pm

Route description: Ben Hiant, Ardnamurchan

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Ben Hiant

Date walked: 25/08/2016

Time taken: 2 hours

Distance: 5 km

Ascent: 347m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our first trip to Ardnamurchan started with a short wander up Ben Hiant. It's the highest hill on the peninsula, but the main road goes right round the base and there's a short path all the way to the top. Our first proper view of the hill was from the roadside viewpoint above Camas nan Geall just to the east.

1.jpg

The road then swings round to the north and heads over a low pass a couple of miles away. Handily the path to the summit starts from the summit of the pass, reducing the ascent to an easy 350 metres. Setting off from the roadside, we were the only car at the parking area.

ben-hiant.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

The path follows the hill's east "ridge", which is always fairly broad although narrow enough to give views off both sides. From the lower section, the best views are to the north over attractively-named Loch Mudle, backed by Eigg and Rum:

2.jpg

A couple of deer wandered away across the northern slopes:

3.jpg

Heading up the lower part of the ridge:

4.jpg

The path is excellent - fairly narrow but clear and rarely boggy. At about 350 metres the summit comes into view again (background):

5.jpg

View east over eastern Ardnamurchan:

6.jpg

After another short, steeper pull to 450 metres the rest of the ridge can be seen. The summit still looked quite far away but it's actually only another 80 metres of vertical or so:

7.jpg

8.jpg

The ridge swings directly east with good views over Loch Sunart:

9.jpg

10.jpg

South-east into the sun and towards Morvern:

11.jpg

The path climbs up round the back of the summit area to reach the trig point - a wonderful viewpoint.

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

There was a fellow walker on the summit, and we met several more groups of people on descent. The parking area was nearly full on return - not helped by us having parked sideways - this seems to be a surprisingly popular walk. A lovely intro to Ardnamurchan, before we carried on west to explore the tip of the peninsula. I suspect most of the other hills in this area aren't quite so straightforward...
denfinella
Wanderer

Munros:88   Corbetts:40
Fionas:37   Donalds:24
Sub 2000:72   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:6   Islands:46

Re: Ben Hiant - Blessed Mountain views

Postby Blokewithastroke » Sat Oct 01, 2016 1:44 pm

You seem to be definitely trying to sell a visit to Ardnamurchan to me! I first noticed the place some years back when we visited Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. More latterly, whilst on holiday at the foot of Glen Coe we had a walk from Strontian - almost there! If only the weather could be promised to be quite as brilliant as it was on the day you were there, I could be persuaded to go! The view from the top of Ben Hiant is magnificent. We shall see...
Blokewithastroke
Mountaineer

Munros:4   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:15

Postby denfinella » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:49 pm

Blokewithastroke wrote:You seem to be definitely trying to sell a visit to Ardnamurchan to me! I first noticed the place some years back when we visited Tobermory on the Isle of Mull. More latterly, whilst on holiday at the foot of Glen Coe we had a walk from Strontian - almost there! If only the weather could be promised to be quite as brilliant as it was on the day you were there, I could be persuaded to go! The view from the top of Ben Hiant is magnificent. We shall see...

Definitely worth it! I still haven't been to Mull yet...

Btw, after you've driven the road west from Strontian you'll realise that "almost there" doesn't really apply in this case :lol:
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:22 pm

Lovey photos - very tempting :D
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby denfinella » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:19 pm

Huff_n_Puff wrote:Lovey photos - very tempting :D

Thanks Huff_n_Puff - perfect weather up there at the moment, so no time like the present!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby dogplodder » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:24 pm

What a beautiful day and lovely looking hill!

Must include this one if ever we're in the area. 8)
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby denfinella » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:17 pm

dogplodder wrote:What a beautiful day and lovely looking hill!

Must include this one if ever we're in the area. 8)

Thanks dogplodder (sorry for late reply). Ardnamurchan definitely worth visiting, that's for sure!
denfinella
Wanderer

Postby BobMcBob » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:11 pm

Lovely, I did this a while back and forgot my camera so it's nice to see it again :) I remember thinking that the hardest part about getting to the top was the seemingly endless drive down the road :D Thanks for sharing that, sometimes the little hills punch above their weight.
BobMcBob
Rambler

Munros:73   Corbetts:18
Fionas:9   
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:12   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland