walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

It's been a while

It's been a while

Postby Fife Flyer » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:30 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Windlestraw Law

Donalds included on this walk: Whitehope Law, Windlestraw Law

Date walked: 02/10/2016

Time taken: 3.5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Ascent: 690m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Not sure how to draw 2 maps so I have improvised - I did move the car along the road a wee bit to tackle Whitehope Law.

Been itching to get out, but 'man flu' and a few busy weeks have interfered with any outdoor plans and this weekends good forecast was too good to miss out on.
I had earmarked these two hills for a while and after doing my usual searching for routes that fitted in with my plans, I uploaded a couple of routes - thanks to malky c & wjshaw2.
As the start point was less than an hours drive I had a bit of a lie-in and left home at 7.45am, I opted to tackle Windlestraw Law. I knew there was a track and as there was a heavy dew on the ground, my feet may stay drier for longer :lol:
As it transpired although my boots were wet on the outside my feet were actually dry 8) :shock:

Image Looking south

Image Looking back to the car

Image Looking SE

Image Going up following the ATV track, early morning dew making the grass rather damp

Image Grouse butt as I entered the low cloud

Image Not the most exciting summit

Image Some sort of wind monitoring contraption and Sky TV of course

Image Looking south and the sun is burning up the cloud

Image Heading down, the path can be seen in the distance looking rather wet

Image Easy descent

Image Short walk along the road before heading through a gate & then uphill

Image Looking NW

Image Looking back down towards the road

Image Any suggestions as to what this is used for, was in the middle of nowhere - literally :roll: I am reliably informed this is a "crow trap"

Image There had to be at least one wind farm, I was in the Borders after all

Image The massive summit cairn for Whitehope Law, not sure how those stones even got there unless someone came up with a spade and dug some up

Image Looking west, same wind farm

Image Looking south

Image For the wind farm lovers, another one zoomed

Image Followed this ATV track down initially, then traversed north

Not much I can say about the hills, the views were typical Borders, the routes I opted for were obviously direct - well that was the theory. Windlestraw has a track that can take you two thirds of the way to the summit, Whitehope is the opposite, if you opt for the direct route (like I did) there is no path just lovely knee deep tufty grass - great for descending and far from ideal for ascending. Both hills were less than 2 hours up and down (each) which I was pleased with. Bottom line that is another 2 Donalds in the bag. I wasn't going to post the report, but thought someone may be interested in the direct routes :lol:
Next on the horizon is another visit nearby to tackle another 4 Donalds, hopefully this week. I need to keep my fitness up, as another visit to Mull is imminent for Chris's compleation 8)
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Re: It's been a while

Postby simon-b » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:17 pm

I see you're edging further south, Martin. You'll be joining some of us in Wainwright and Hewitt country soon :D
simon-b
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:30
Fionas:7   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:155
Wainwrights:214   Islands:4

Postby Fife Flyer » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:42 am

simon-b wrote:I see you're edging further south, Martin. You'll be joining some of us in Wainwright and Hewitt country soon :D

:lol: :lol: Still a few more to visit before I ever contemplate heading over the big wall Simon :wink:
Fife Flyer
Munro compleatist

Munros:272   Corbetts:58
Fionas:39   Donalds:89+33
Sub 2000:134   Hewitts:2
Islands:5

Postby basscadet » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:10 pm

Och I felt the same way Martin, but I'll grudgingly admit there are a few good places over said wall :lol:

Good to see you out and about :clap:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby martin.h » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 pm

Hi Martin, good to see you out again.
That looks a good day out, another idea for us in the future.

We're close enough to join you when you're out collecting Donalds if you like, we've got this grand idea of combining Donald bagging with Wainwright bagging over autumn and winter, just got to research where's best to find weekend accommodation for the southern uplands. :D
martin.h
Mountain Walker

Munros:223   Corbetts:25
Fionas:15   Donalds:15+2
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:151
Wainwrights:214   Islands:29
Walk wish-list

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland