walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Six balloons in Glenrath

Six balloons in Glenrath

Postby Jaywizz » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:25 am

Donalds included on this walk: Glenrath Heights, Stob Law

Date walked: 02/10/2016

Distance: 11.2 km

Ascent: 587m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

WH map.jpg

A great weather forecast this week so time to 'collect' some last red Walkhighlands balloons in the Manor valley south of Peebles.
The entrance verge at Glenrath is now guarded by boulders but a little further along the road there is space for a car to park near a track on the west side of the road (NT 207342).
WH McMole parking space.jpg

Then it was back to Glenrath farm and buildings where a good track skirts most of the buildings and continues up Glenrath. According to www.pastmap.org.uk/ , this valley must have been well settled until Medieval times, so we were variously distracted looking for sites of prehistoric settlements, enclosures and Medieval villages. Now the only house at the head of the glen is that of the keeper, and the old drove road that leads south from Glenrathope is used by shooting parties to gain the high grouse moors above Windy Neese (wonderful name!!!)
WH Looking back down Glenrath valley.jpg
Looking back down Glenrath valley, large bank of solar panels at the keeper's house

WH Heather slopes.jpg
That's me in the distance taking wide zig-zags up the unrelenting slope

Once on the high ground it was an short walk over to the summit of Middle Hill, Glenrath Heights.
WH Ivan on Middle Hill.jpg
First red WH balloon turns blue - summit of Glenrath Heights

An easy walk continues north over short heather towards .... and then we were distracted by three balloons caught in the fence!
WH me with balloons 2.jpg
Balloons number 2, 3 and 4 of the day - but we missed the party

Continuing along the high ground, our way swung west, still pleasant underfoot, and there by the fence, another balloon!
WH Angry bird.jpg
Not a red grouse, just an Angry Bird (maybe he missed the party too!) Balloon number 5

WH Me approaching Stob Law.jpg
Approaching the last WH red balloon of the walk, Stob Law summit - balloon number 6 of the day!

Now our descent dropped west over Glenrath Hill taking in yet another site of a a Medieval village by a small pine plantation.
WH castle Hill.jpg
On the way down. Wood Hill, site of Macbeth's Castle, prominent in the centre of the Manor Valley.

It was a most enjoyable walk, and, as with so many of these less frequented hills, hardly any litter. In fact we only came across one bright purple chocolate wrapper (I didn't want the farmer to think we had dropped it!) and sadly, no historic artefacts - but I did find a metal medallion from a Jack Nicklaus golf course. Bizarre.
I should add we also removed the balloons - fairly indigestible to any livestock, I suspect
Many thanks to McMole for his company, the driving and several of the photos.
Jaywizz
Wanderer

Munros:237   Corbetts:34
Fionas:71   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:172   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:4   Islands:26

Re: Six balloons in Glenrath

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:42 pm

Cracking day for it - haven't got to these donalds yet but they're on the to do list - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland