walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Windy Standard & Alhang

Windy Standard & Alhang

Postby rob munbett » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:46 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Windy Standard

Donalds included on this walk: Alhang, Windy Standard

Date walked: 01/08/2016

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 628m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I fancied a fairly short day, so I drove down from Glasgow to the Afton Reservoir car park and got the boots on. I walked a few hundred metres towards the dam and set off up a waymarked path on the right past Castle William to reach the windfarm road, taking the right fork heading towards Lamb Hill. I left the road and took to the squelchy hillside over lamb Hill to Wedder Hill.
P1030411.JPG
Windy Standard from Wedder Hill
There was an ATV track all the way but it was a real bog-fest. Over Wedder Hill, I turned to Millaneoch Hill and descended to a wooden gate.
P1030413.JPG
Windy Standard from Millaneoch Hill
Here, I crossed to the right hand side of the electrified fence to make an easier approach to Windy Standard. I plodded up towards the huge turbines and turned along a road towards the summit trig. It was too noisy to stop for long so I headed back down a bit before stopping for lunch.
P1030418.JPG
Summit trig looking over to Alhang
I got back down to the wooden gate and turned down the rough boggy hillside to make my approach to Alhang.
P1030420.JPG
Descending from the wooden gate looking over to Alhang
There was an extremely wet section at the bottom to negotiate before the steepish climb up beside the fence which then veered round left to reach to summit, which was over the fence to the right.
P1030426.JPG
Looking back to Windy Standard from the ascent of Alhang
Pan of Cairnsmore Moorbrock Windy.JPG
A pan of Cairnsmore, Moorbrock and Windy from Alhang
I had another 'lunch' here before heading down towards the source of the Afton and Alwhat.
P1030428.JPG
The summit of Alhang looking over to Afton Reservoir
I contoured round and headed for the southern end of the reservoir, where I found a rough road leading through the woods (not on OS map) which led to the road around the reservoir which a followed on the west side back to my outward route. All in all, a very pleasant workout.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

rob munbett
Hill Bagger

Munros:257   Corbetts:133
Fionas:70   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:97   Hewitts:30
Wainwrights:40   

Re: Windy Standard & Alhang

Postby SecretSquirrel » Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:29 am

Good to see these hills on a clear day, you got much better weather than I did here. Although the ground conditions don't seem to have changed much!
SecretSquirrel
Mountain Walker

Munros:124   Corbetts:26
Fionas:24   Donalds:76
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:1

Postby robbo2402 » Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:32 pm

Going to do this tomorrow. Hope it's not too wet. I expect it will be though 😁. Thanks for the description and gpx.
robbo2402
Munro compleatist

Munros:161   Corbetts:27
Fionas:20   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Booga » Thu Nov 11, 2021 7:21 pm

Looks like you had good weather for it. I was in the area a few weeks ago and the cloud was so low that you could only see the bottom tips of the wind turbines as they appeared out of the cloud then dissapeared up into it again.
Booga
Ambler

Hewitts:10
Wainwrights:5   Islands:12

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland