walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Aonach wild camp with Dr Pepper - what's the worst..?

The Aonach wild camp with Dr Pepper - what's the worst..?

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:42 pm

Route description: Aonach Beag and Aonach Mòr from Glen Nevis

Munros included on this walk: Aonach Beag (Nevis Range), Aonach Mòr

Date walked: 12/06/2010

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 13 km

Ascent: 1500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

]If you're ever wondering how much caffeine there is in a can of Dr Pepper, there's 41mg. That's half the content in a can of Red Bull otherwise known as anxiety in a can. I had been looking to replicate a Kinley-esque camp and hoped to improve on my previous night's sleep when I last did a high camp (I'm free!) - 2 hours 10 minutes. This time, I ascended the shoulder of Aonach Beag and camped at a location just under the crags of Stob Coire Bhealaich - at 850m, the views were super - all the Mamores came into view and having done the bulk of ascent by 2200, I felt that a good night's sleep was in order - why I decided to drink Dr Pepper before bed rather than the fine bottle of Erdinger I had brought is beyond me. I settled down for sleep at 2345 (still light enough to take a couple of atmospheric photos) to begin the previously problematic task of sleep. And for 3 hours and 25 minutes I stared at the tent walls while periodically listening to a ptarmigan laughing and a sheep baaing in symphony - 'you fool human, you will not sleep tonight.' I couldn't even blame Kinley for my insomnia. I 'got up' at 0310 (still light, I don't think it got dark actually) and had my porridge before packing up and beginning my Munro trip at 0400. Someone once asked 'How do you avoid tourists on a hill?' My advice is replicate my trip and start your walking at 0400, at 850m. It was unseasonally cold and once on to the ridge proper, the wind was biting. Unfortunately, at 1050m, I walked into cloud and saw no more of Aonach Beag aside from the crags disappearing off to my right, still full of massive snow cornices. There is a path which you can follow but I headed straight up on to Aonach Beag as it began to circumvent the hill - don't know where it was going - anyone know? I don't recall passing a cairn at the top but I stood at the highest point on a snow bank before continuing on to Aonach Mor. After quite a steep descent, a gradual incline over a km of walking led to the massive cairn and odd ski pole. At 0550, I had bagged two Munros and began my descent - queer. Funnily enough, I never met a soul on the hill at this point. That's because they were SLEEPING! :crazy: What you should be doing ye foo. I intended to head off Aonach Mor via a narrow arete and found a cairn, which indicated the start of the descent. WARNING! This path is very tricky to descend in places due to loose soil/stones - care needed. However, its steepness means a quick descent to the bealach at 830m. From here, it was an enjoyable enough return to the car, where I attempted to stay awake on my drive back to Glasgow. Dr Pepper - what's the worst that could happen? NAE SLEEP! :evil:
IMG_3672.JPG
The Ben - from behind!
IMG_3680.JPG
Night falls - my view at 2245 to the Mamores
IMG_3683.JPG
Binnein Beag, Sgurr Eilde Mor at 2315!
IMG_3691.JPG
Beware the global warming on Aonach Beag
IMG_3693.JPG
At last - perhaps a view or two over to Aonach Mor
IMG_3696.JPG
The cairn at 0550 - am I dreaming?
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The Aonach wild camp with Dr Pepper - what's the worst..?

Postby monty » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Interesting report Kev. I am not sure you are getting the hang of this high camp thing yet. Maybe Kinley needs to give you some lessons :lol: :lol:

Look on the bright side, you bagged another two munros. :D
monty

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:58 pm

I did have a cracking night's sleep last night after a few glasses of Rioja!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby danrun » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:03 pm

i was up north all last wk n couldnt work out y i was unable to get a good kip?? now i realise it was that 3ltr Dr Pepper bargain fae farmfoods Fort William!! :lol:
ye cannae beat bein on the hills before they get packed tho..
danrun
Hill Bagger

Munros:107   Corbetts:12
Fionas:4   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:5   

Postby Stretch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 pm

Kev, I make my own BBQ sauce using Dr Pepper, it has an opposite effect on you if applied to some tender pork on a Sunday afternoon . . . zzzzzzzzzzzz.
Stretch
Munro compleatist

Munros:146   Corbetts:8
Sub 2000:2   

Postby kevsbald » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:11 pm

I think your accompanying liquour would be a confounding factor in that argument! :D Slainte.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby monty » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:15 pm

Love the picture over to the Mamores at night fall Kev. :D
monty

Postby davetherave » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:44 pm

Super stuff Kev.... In future keep the pepper stuff in the car, or atleast a spare one to keep you going on the along drive home.

I know exactly what you mean about not sleeping well on the hill, since we started our camping exploits i have never had a decent sleep.

Blame Kinley for everything :lol: :lol:
davetherave

Munros:220   Corbetts:88
Fionas:26   Donalds:5

Postby Graeme D » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:47 pm

Nice one Kev! What are you planning on bringing in the way of beverages to the Corbett bash in a few weeks time? I can imagine you on your Dr Pepper and Darren on his Red Bull stuff - it'll be like a Thai Beach Full Moon Party at 2500 feet! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:123
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:59   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby CurlyWurly » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:20 pm

Good effort Kev, some good shots there too. Has the wire bridge been fixed?
CurlyWurly
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:47
Fionas:17   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:50   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:40 am

The Steall wire bridge is still out of order. The river (on Saturday morning) was very low and could be waded further up.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Postby Dannyboy » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:05 pm

That sounds brutal! Well done on completing it in that state, i cant believe you got to the top at 5:50! That really is insane :lol: I went wild camping at the weekend and got up at 11/12:30 saying that i couldnt sleep very well either and thats without the Dr pop!!
Dannyboy
Munro compleatist

Munros:140   Corbetts:7
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:10   

Postby kinley » Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Looks a nice camp :)

Really hope the summer is better than the last few years - the tent has been in storage for the last 3 summers :?
kinley

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland