walkhighlands

This board helps you to share your walking route experiences in England and Wales... or overseas.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Some hills around Helvellyn.

Some hills around Helvellyn.

Postby trailmasher » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:35 pm

Wainwrights included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Nethermost Pike, Seat Sandal

Hewitts included on this walk: Catstyecam, Dollywaggon Pike, Helvellyn, Seat Sandal

Date walked: 20/09/2016

Time taken: 5.54

Distance: 20.5 km

Ascent: 1183m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Helvellyn to Seat Sandal.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An early morning knock at the door heralded Chris's arrival and soon after a cup of coffee we set off for Patterdale where we would park up at the old school at the end of the lane leading to Side Farm. There were contractors still working on construction work along Glenridding Beck and not knowing what the situation was regarding parking there we elected to use this one despite the longer walk along the main road to Glenridding. As we were going to come off the fells at Arnison Crag via the Patterdale Hotel it made no difference really where we started out as some road walking would have to be done either way.

It was full and low cloud cover as we set off along the road to Glenridding and remained so for a good while and not really clearing until we got onto Helvellyn proper. The main car park was empty of vehicles apart from some contractors and works containers but work was still progressing along the banks of Glenridding Beck and it looked like the new retaining wall would be completed before too long. We passed through the car park and progressed up the tarmac Greenside Road through the houses, under Glenridding Dodd to pass the last few cottages and carry on along the road up to the old Greenside Mine and the Youth Hostel that seemed to be teeming with people.

As we passed Swart Beck we noticed a mini-digger entrenched in the bed of it clearing away all the old mine spoil that had washed down during the floods earlier in the year and this was just one of a few that were dotted along the length of both Glenridding Beck and Grisedale Beck.
2 - Clearing out Swart Beck at Greenside Mine.JPG
Clearing out Swart Beck at Greenside Mine.

It's quite warm as we walk along but very damp and having to wear a coat made our temperatures rise even more as we passed the mine to wend our way up the slopes and out of the mine buildings area to walk along the long , wide track that leads to the zig zags of the path as it rises alongside Keppel Cove and on to Whiteside Edge and Helvellyn, or the way that we are going and that is into Keppel Cove that was once a dam that was used for the mining activities of Greenside Mine.

Our plan was to climb up Catstycam…
3 - Catstycam from the Leates below Stang End.JPG
Catstycam from the Leates below Stang End.

by the northwest ridge and then on to Helvellyn via Swirral Edge so we left the main path at the start of the zig zags and continued on into Keppel Cove from where there is a good view of the holed dam wall…
6 - The breached dam below Catstycam.JPG
The breached dam below Catstycam.

dropped down into a hollow to climb out the other side and walk a short distance into Brown Cove…
7 - Looking into Brown Cove.JPG
Looking into Brown Cove.

that was the site of another small dam of which the wall can still be seen. We crossed the junior Glenridding Beck and worked our way across the fellside until we picked up the not too clear path that we needed but became more obvious the higher we climbed. Looking back we could see down the valley…
9 - Looking northeast down the valley.JPG
Looking northeast down the valley.

but are not really high enough as yet to be able to see anything of any worth. The path was now becoming more distinct and decidedly rougher and steeper as we sometimes struggled to keep a purchase on the scree beneath our boots.

Somewhere on the way up - probably about a third - we came across a convenient seat shaped outcrop of rock and decided to have a breather and a drink whilst taking in what views were available. Way below us we spotted a group of young ones with carers who were making their way into the Cove and was most likely some school group on an educating walk to the old dam area.
12 - Kepple Cove and old dam wall.JPG
Kepple Cove and old dam wall.

Once we had refreshed ourselves we set off once again to this time horse on until we reached the summit. Catstycam is one of those hills that teases you into thinking that you are about to summit when another length of rough path appears leading you over another hump on the fell and as this occurs about four times Catstycam gained a few more names as we battled our way to the top. As we have climbed so have the clouds and the fell tops were now fairly clear, although Helvellyn and the higher fells were still clinging on to a few wisps of them.
14 - Ullswater view from Catstycam's northwest ridge.JPG
Ullswater view from Catstycam's northwest ridge

From the grassy summit with its point of rock fingers poking out of the red earth the views are not bad as we could see through the thinning cloud cover over to Ullswater, St Sunday Crag behind Striding Edge and Helvellyn behind us. As usual Striding Edge has a queue and there were one or two people just about to get on to Swirral Edge from Red Tarn which in part looked black and broody under Striding Edge and silvery from the clouds reflection on its other half.
15 - Swirral Edge from Catstycam summit.JPG
Swirral Edge from Catstycam summit.

16 - Red Tarn and Striding Edge.JPG
Red Tarn and Striding Edge.

17 - Ullswater from Catstycam summit.JPG
Ullswater from Catstycam summit.

We had a chat to a lone lady walker who kindly took our photograph before we set off to walk along Swirral Edge's easy ridge before starting on the craggy scramble climb out…
24 - Swirral Edge to Catstycam.JPG
Swirral Edge to Catstycam.

25 - Red Tarn and Striding Edge.JPG
Red Tarn and Striding Edge.

27 - Catstycam and Red Tarn.JPG
Catstycam and Red Tarn.

onto Helvellyn's lower slopes…
28 - A busy Helvellyn.JPG
A busy Helvellyn.

from where it is but an easy walk to the summit and cross shelter where food and drink was gratefully received before setting out on the next leg to take in Nethermost Pike…
33 - Looking to Grisedale - St Sunday Crag and Birks from Nethermost Pike.JPG
Looking to Grisedale - St Sunday Crag and Birks from Nethermost Pike.

High Crag…
36 - St Sunday Crag from High Crag.JPG
St Sunday Crag from High Crag.

and Dollywagon Pike…
37 - Fairfield from Dollywagon Pike.JPG
Fairfield from Dollywagon Pike.

39 - Looking back to Helvellyn.JPG
Looking back to Helvellyn

along the good wide path before dropping down the steep south side of Dollywagon on the narrow fell runners path to the top of Raise Beck from where we would climb onto Seat Sandal.
41 - Seat Sandal.JPG
Seat Sandal.

It's quite wet in the col between Dollywagon Pike and Seat Sandal but once over that the hard work of climbing the steep grassy slopes alongside the wall to Seat Sandal's summit begins and it's relentless, especially so now that it's got even warmer as the sun manages to make a clearance through the clouds. The views from here are excellent with a who's who of Lakeland Fells surrounding us, what a place to be, ringed by mountains with the open aspect down Grisedale to the northeast and Grasmere to the south. Since we left Helvellyn we have seen nobody apart from one chap who was climbing up the fell runner's path on his way to Dollywagon Pike.
43 - Dollywagon Pike from Seat Sandal.JPG
Dollywagon Pike from Seat Sandal.

45 - Fairfield and St Sunday Crag from Seat Sandal.JPG
Fairfield and St Sunday Crag from Seat Sandal.

From Seat Sandal the plan was to pass over Fairfield, Cofa Pike, St Sunday Crag, Birks, and finish off with Arnison Crag and a pint in the Patterdale Hotel but as things turned out we ended up only doing the latter as we decided that we had done enough for today and so made our way off the east side of SS to Grisedale Tarn…
46 - Seat Sandal behind Grisedale Tarn.JPG
Seat Sandal behind Grisedale Tarn.

47 - Looking down into the head of Grisedale from the tarn.JPG
Looking down into the head of Grisedale from the tarn.

from where we then had a good steady walk down past Ruthwaite Lodge from where we passed over the footbridge to the opposite side - east - of Grisedale Beck…
48 - Lower down Grisedale.JPG
Lower down Grisedale.

from where a good path was followed all the way back to Patterdale and a welcome pint in the hotel of the same name.

It was a shame to shorten this walk but having done 20k in warm weather we decided to get the other mountains on another occasion. Chris hasn't been out for two months with work and holidays taking precedence over all other activities so will need to work his way back to form and he also has a long drive home at the end of the day so needs to be fresh for that. Nevertheless it's been a good walk with Chris knocking off five more Wainwright's to bring his tally to 73, so a good effort in a short time.
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Munros:13   
Hewitts:179
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Some hills around Helvellyn.

Postby thefallwalker » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:24 pm

I think you are being more than kind mate! :D I have to hold my hands up & let the people know it was my decision to stop the walk :( but you are correct that having not walked for 2 months, my fitness had quickly abandoned me (probably too much holiday drink n food) :lol: the ridiculously steep descent from dollywagon done me in & followed straight away by the steep ascent onto SS finished me off (this time!) but another cracking day out & a pint was good enough consolation :lol: anyway great report :clap: & see y Monday for what looks like a "wet un!" :crazy:
thefallwalker
Mountaineer

Hewitts:115

Postby trailmasher » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:41 pm

thefallwalker wrote:I think you are being more than kind mate! :D

It's just in my nature and you still need looking after :lol: :lol:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

Postby ChrisW » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:05 am

Chris hasn't been out for two months with work and holidays taking precedence over all other activities so will need to work his way back to form

Thought you were talking about me for a moment TM :lol: A long lay off can really bite you in the butt when you do get back to it and I now need to get back to it :shock:

Great write up as always mate and lovely photos along the way :clap: :clap:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby trailmasher » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:13 pm

ChrisW wrote:
Chris hasn't been out for two months with work and holidays taking precedence over all other activities so will need to work his way back to form

Thought you were talking about me for a moment TM :lol: A long lay off can really bite you in the butt when you do get back to it and I now need to get back to it :shock:

Great write up as always mate and lovely photos along the way :clap: :clap:

Sometimes a lay off can't be avoided Chris :? and can be frustrating and I did wonder if you was still up and running as you have been quiet for a while :( so now looking forward to some more excitement from the Canadian contingency and hills :) Thanks for the comments :clap:
trailmasher
Mountaineer

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Outside Scotland