walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A cracking day in Glen Shiel

A cracking day in Glen Shiel

Postby rockhopper » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:37 pm

Route description: Beinn Loinne, from Cluanie

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach, Beinn Loinne, Meall Dubh

Date walked: 09/10/2016

Time taken: 10.1 hours

Distance: 38 km

Ascent: 1950m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The good weather continued but couldn’t get away for a camping trip so looked for options for the one day. Considered going along to Glenfinnan but in the end opted to go a little further north to Glen Shiel – hadn’t been there for a wee while.

Beinn Loinne

Car parked in the layby at NH088121. Early start in the dark, cycled west to the Cluanie Lodge track then southwards along the track towards the 435m high point.

Loch Cluanie before sunrise

Started to get quite hard going as the track got higher – wasn’t sure if the bike was helping or hindering on the ascent but knew it would be better on the return leg. At the high point on the track, hid and locked the bike off to the side then set off towards the 540m point – some boggy ground to cross on the way.

Missed the sunrise due to not being high enough but there were some nice colours on the surrounding hills.

Rather fuzzy at extreme zoom and cropped

Walked passed some wee lochans looking towards the north Quoich hills

Loch Cluanie

Sgurr nan Conbhairean

Am Bathach

Cluanie Lodge

Continued up and over Druim nan Cnamh to the summit

Sail Chaorainn in the distance

Self portrait

Ciste Dubh

Spent quite a long time at the top looking at the views, pondering and thinking – eventually had to set off on the return leg – more or less the same way back down. Picked up the bike then off down the track. Met a large group of walkers at one of the bridges then another solo walker further down.

Am Bathach

Got back to the car, deposited the bike and got ready to set off on foot. Other than my car, there was only a campervan in the layby when I’d set off earlier – the layby was now very busy. A short way down the road a car drew up and the lady driver asked about the best place to park for the two close by munros so pointed her to the layby.

Am Bathach

Through the gate in the fence and followed the track up the hillside

Fairly easy going with a reasonable track – not long before making a reasonable height

Spotted two walkers on A’ Chràileag

A few ups and downs on the way but pleasant enough in the sun

A’ Chràileag again – one walker taking a photo of the other sitting in front of the cairn

Ciste Dubh

Mullach Fraoch-choire and A’ Chràileag

Sgurr nan Spainteach (?)

Beinn Fhada (?)

Down to Loch Cluanie

Continued on the track until the summit

Took some photos, had a look around then set off back down to the car

Didn’t meet anyone on Am Bathach. Back at the car, had some lunch then drove east along the A87 then on to the A887 and parked in the off road layby at NH254116.

Meall Dubh

Got ready then crossed the road, through the gate and south up the windfarm track.

Cycled part of the way – although it’s a good track, there’s a fair bit of surface rubble which makes for hard going. Had to push part of the way before stopping and locking up the bike. Then on foot the rest of the way.

The sky was still relatively cloud free on leaving the car but more and more cloud was starting to appear.

Got to a point where the track started to dip downwards. Left it at this point and continued over pathless ground – rough and boggy at times – in a southwards direction towards the summit.

Up to the 745m point then round SW to the summit

Wind turbines

Clearer towards the east

Over to Glen Shiel

More turbines

Took some more photos then set off back down the ascent route.

Small waterfall en route

Back to the car just after 1700hrs. Got changed then drove back to Glasgow.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: A cracking day in Glen Shiel

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:55 pm

Your title says it all, got exhausted just reading this :roll: brilliant photos :clap:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby litljortindan » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:11 pm

Lovely morning colours and great views.
litljortindan
Ambler

Munros:156   Corbetts:67
Fionas:29   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:47   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:10   

Postby Petr Dakota » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:04 pm

As the name of your report says - it was really cracking day in Kintail :D
Great photos and nice to see the neighbour hills which I did the same day, from your side :wink:
Petr Dakota
Mountain Walker

Munros:247   Corbetts:28
Fionas:8   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:19
Wainwrights:12   Islands:1

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:11 pm

Good going :clap: :clap: :clap:
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:220
Fionas:49   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby kev_russ » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:41 pm

Braw 8)
kev_russ
Mountaineer

Munros:198   Corbetts:79
Fionas:27   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:9   

Postby Alteknacker » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:07 pm

I somehow missed this when it was published. Some great pics there, and what was obviously a brilliant day.

I've got aspirations in this area for next year....

It's just such a long drive :(
Alteknacker
Scrambler

Munros:176   Corbetts:33
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:264
Wainwrights:118   

Postby timmunro86 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:09 pm

Really lovely photos - looks like it was a beauty of a day! The shot of the stag was surprisingly good quality for the distance it must have been at!

Can I ask, what sort of camera are you using (is it a compact or SLR) and how do you get your photos on the report so that they enlarge when clicked on? Thanks!

Great report!
timmunro86
Mountain Walker

Munros:134   Corbetts:16
Fionas:8   
Sub 2000:15   
Islands:17

Postby rockhopper » Wed Nov 09, 2016 12:26 am

cheers all :)

timmunro86 wrote:Can I ask, what sort of camera are you using (is it a compact or SLR) and how do you get your photos on the report so that they enlarge when clicked on? Thanks!
Hi - I normally just use a wee digital compact but sometimes, if the weather/conditions look better as on this trip, I use a Fujifilm FinePix HS30EXR - it's still just a digital bridge camera but does have a 30x optical zoom which I think is the equivalent of 720mm (compared to my old manual SLR 80-200mm zoom with 2x converter which gave a maximum of 400mm). That said, it's still fairly basic compared to a lot of the high end cameras which some people on the site use. Re enlarging on clicking - like a lot of others, I reduce the size of my photos using a free software tool to around 100 - 200kb each then upload to flickr - then write the report in a word doc and copy/paste the link for each photo into the report at the right point - save as I go then copy/paste the whole lot into the new report box on the WH site - then when you click on the photo, it enlarges - you also have the option on flickr to select the size of image and the larger you select the larger it will be when you click on it (although I think but am not sure that the larger the sizes of photos, the longer the report may take to load) - if you click to quote a report you'll see the links in peoples' reports where some use flickr, photobucket, google etc and some upload directly to WH - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Graeme D » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:34 pm

Madcap serial Corbett bagging. Love it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland