walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Pleasant stroll through Glenmore Forest to Bynack More!

Pleasant stroll through Glenmore Forest to Bynack More!

Postby thomsok » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:19 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More

Date walked: 10/10/2015

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 750m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

With an early arrival got parked easily at the back of Glenmore Lodge, got sorted out and hit the trail through the forest heading for the Ryovan Pass. The trail made for easy, quick walking through the forest on a gently undulating route. Some really nice examples of forest regeneration to be seen on the hillsides.
Bynack 1 (360x640).jpg
Forest regeneration showing good progress.

After about 30 minutes waking stopped off to view the Lochan Uaine which was perfectly still and reflecting the surroundings clearly. The water is really clear showing what must be a very sterile environment, little or no vegetation growing within the lochan.
Bynack 2 (640x360).jpg
Lochan Uaine

Heading back on to the track and it was not long before I emerged from the steep sided Ryovan Pass where the landscape opens out into a more open moor which is owned and managed by the RSPB. At the fork, bear right and continue on the good footpath heading for Bynack Stable.
Bynack 3 (360x640).jpg
Entering RSPB Abernethy nature reserve one of the biggest they manage.

There were a good number of Red Grouse and Black Grouse to be seen, but a lot of the small birds had left the moors now that Spring/Summer was over. The path continues along to Bynack Stable and a bridge over the river emerging from Strath Nethy. At this point there is a good view of the path heading up onto the long sloping ridge up towards the summit of Bynack More.
Bynack 5 (640x360).jpg
Footbridge at Bynack Stable & view of the path up onto the ridge towards the summit.

Bynack 6 (640x360).jpg
View from Bynack Stable up Strath Nethy.

From this point the track gets a bit rockier and rougher, bikes not much use past this point. However, the path is well constructed with step like features making the ascent seem easy. Stopped for a breather about half way up here but did not stop for long as there was a late hatch of midges around. Once up the steep face and on to the ridge the path is easy going giving good views across the surroundings.
Bynack 7 (640x360).jpg
Looking back towards Bynack Stable and over towards the Ryovan Bothy.

Bynack 8 (640x360).jpg
Looking up toward the summit of Bynack More in the distance!

The plateau levels out giving a time for a breather before the final pull up to the summit, there is a split in the path here too, if you go left you continue on the Lairig an Laoigh path to Braemar, bear right and the last major climb is approached. Midges still around as there was not a bit of wind, unusal as its around 800m up.
Bynack 10 (640x360).jpg
On the approach to the last bit of ascent, going is still very good.

The path becomes less obvious as you head up and there is a lot of rock/scree to skirt around before a series of rugged, rocky outcrops just before the summit is approached. Enjoyable 30 mins on the summit taking in the views, having a bite to eat and taking a few snaps. Midges here too!
bynack 14 (640x360).jpg
Summit cairn looking North East.

Bynack 12 (640x360).jpg
View South West over toward Cairn Gorm with a small patch of snow still visible!

Bynack 13 (640x360).jpg
Looking South East over to the Braemar mountains of Ben Avon and Beinn a Bhuird

Bynack 17 (640x360).jpg
Summit shot, note only wearing T-shirt at the top, really mild conditions and no wind!

Retraced my steps back down the hill to the car at Glenmore Lodge, really satisfying day on the hills especially for mid October.
thomsok
Mountain Walker

Munros:176   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:28

Re: Pleasant stroll through Glenmore Forest to Bynack More!

Postby rockhopper » Mon Oct 10, 2016 12:18 pm

Yup - it's a nice walk right enough - even better when the green loch is so calm - cheers :)
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby thomsok » Fri Oct 14, 2016 2:37 pm

rockhopper wrote:Yup - it's a nice walk right enough - even better when the green loch is so calm - cheers :)

It was eerily still and very clear, obviously not much life in it!
thomsok
Mountain Walker

Munros:176   Corbetts:6
Fionas:3   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   Islands:28

Postby 1Magnus » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:21 pm

thomsok wrote:
rockhopper wrote:Yup - it's a nice walk right enough - even better when the green loch is so calm - cheers :)

I swam in it, a couple of years ago, on my way down off the mountain.

After I got home, I read that the loch contains a colony of leeches, with conflicting information on the internet on whether it's the type of leech that goes for you or another type.

I noticed nothing, though, had a great swim and would recommend it to anyone. Super cold water!
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

Postby teaandpies » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:13 pm

1Magnus wrote:
thomsok wrote:

I swam in it, a couple of years ago, on my way down off the mountain.

After I got home, I read that the loch contains a colony of leeches, with conflicting information on the internet on whether it's the type of leech that goes for you or another type.

I noticed nothing, though, had a great swim and would recommend it to anyone. Super cold water!

Visited the loch many times but never swam in it for the above reason. As a local, I've never actually spoken to anyone that can confirm if it's true or not.

Was it deep?
teaandpies
Mountain Walker

Munros:116   Corbetts:22
Fionas:9   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:6

Postby 1Magnus » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:36 am

Visited the loch many times but never swam in it for the above reason. As a local, I've never actually spoken to anyone that can confirm if it's true or not.

Was it deep?[/quote][/quote]

I swam to where the submerged tree trunk was, and there it was deep; I couldn't reach the bottom any more.
1Magnus
Mountain Walker

Munros:150   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland