walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sgulaird Solstice Sunrise

Sgulaird Solstice Sunrise

Postby skillinabottle » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:18 pm

Route description: Beinn Sgulaird

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Sgulaird

Date walked: 20/06/2010

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 11 km

Ascent: 900m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The consensus on Ben Sgulaird is that it is best left for a fine clear day, I saw at first hand that this is an understatement. :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Out party of eight set out at 11pm on a crisp, clear and mild midsummer night, our Munro experience ranging from a Compleater to two Munro novices. We set off and once clear of the wood on the valley floor, found head torches were not necessary and our midge repellent was hardly being tested. The half moon set to the west as the ambient light from the horizon moved north as we headed up the east shoulder of Stob Gaibhre. After a quick stop for coffee we skirted round avoiding the mountain goats (we think, saw plenty of pairs of eyes but didn't get too close) to the lochan between the two main tops on our route.
P1030327.JPG

We turned for the main target - Ben Sguilaird for sunrise. As we approached, the west cost came into view. Street lights marked the settlements dotted about and made us remember where most people would be right now - tucked up in bed!
P1030335.JPG

We settled down at the massive cairn marking the summit, this provided a most welcome shelter as be made ourselves comfortable for sunrise.
P1030347.JPG

We could not have hoped for the visual delights that followed as the light came round to the east horizon. We began picking out summits and distinctive landmarks - Arran, Cruachan, Jura, Rum, Colonsay, Nevis, Mamores - you get the idea. It may be easier to list what we couldn't see! A simply astounding viewpoint.

A golden warmth from the east drew our attention as the sun crept up, we stood back and admired it all.
P1030352.JPG
P1030353.JPG

P1030357.JPG
Aonach Eagach, I think..
Amongst the hills we caught a glimpse of Beinn Affleck and Stobh Telling Us Every Hill Name. This seemed like comedy gold at 5am! :lol:

Bed and breakfast soon entered our thoughts as we meandered down the slope towards the car park. Careful route choice needed here, and I certainly wouldn't have wanted to ascend by this steep north slope. The view west caught my attention during the descent.
P1030361.JPG

After caffeine injection and breakfast we headed for home, the familiar viewpoints on the A82 basking in glorious sunshine. Twelve hours and a nap later the jetlag is kicking in, but so is that warm fuzzy feeling from experiencing something so majestic. :D
skillinabottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Re: Sgulaird Solstice Sunrise

Postby monty » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:42 pm

Hi Skill........
Thats an unusual walk, setting of late at night to walk the mountain in the dark. Well rewarded with an amasing sunrise though. Nice :D
monty

Postby FloozySuzie » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:32 pm

I like the idea of that a lot.
FloozySuzie

Postby HighlandSC » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:55 pm

Excellent, what a great way to spend the night. Fantastic pics :D
HighlandSC

Munros:33   Corbetts:4
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:14   
Islands:8

Postby murphy999 » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:59 pm

I love it, superb idea!
murphy999
Stravaiging

Munros:57   Corbetts:3
Fionas:3   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:7   

Postby malky_c » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:59 am

Looks like this paid off well - brilliant photos in there! Well done for sticking it out.

I have something like this on the cards every year, but never actually do it in the end. Closest was camping at the foot of Ben Hope a few years ago. Trouble was, the pints consumed at Bonar Bridge on the way up meant we didn't bother going up until the next morning :?
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby skillinabottle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Thanks everyone, walking at night was good fun due to the light at this time of year. We knew we had a good chance of seeing a great sunrise given the weather too. It's something I'd recommend and will be doing again next year, weather permitting! :)
skillinabottle
Munro compleatist

Munros:71   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:6
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:12
Wainwrights:22   

Postby Jock McJock » Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:21 pm

Wow, loved some of those pics. Was well worth the night on the hill. Think I'll need to get out and try something similar myself sometime soon, before the nights start drawing in. :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland