walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Glen Lyon Corbetts from Pubil, a fine interesting duo.

Glen Lyon Corbetts from Pubil, a fine interesting duo.

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:14 pm

Route description: Meall Buidhe & Sròn a' Choire Chnapanich, Pubil

Corbetts included on this walk: Meall Buidhe, Sron a' Choire Chnapanich

Date walked: 14/10/2016

Time taken: 4.75 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1040m

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Forecast poor for today and the weekend, and when I left Carnoustie right enough it was living up to the forecast, as I passed through Dunkeld en route to Aberfeldy it was getting much worse with the rain coming down in sheets, so much so I text Martin to see if the walk was still on, with no reply coming forth I carried on towards Glen Lyon where I was to find Martin already parked up at Pubil and ready to go, by now the rain had relented and things did look a lot more promising.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.JPG
At the start of the track heading West along the North shore of Loch Lyon
2.JPG
Looking back from the track towards the Dam at the East end of Loch Lyon
3.JPG
Looking back from the steep grassy slopes heading towards Meall Phubuill
4.JPG
After the steep grassy section of shoulder the summit beyond Meall Phubuill flattens out before heading towards the peat hagged ridden bealach
5.JPG
After crossing the peat hagged area and dropping down to the bealach we climbed the grassy slope in the foreground following a line of metal fence posts
6.JPG
Within the line of fence posts was this gate, must remember to close it
7.JPG
There are three cairns at the summit with the SE one being the actual summit. (There are now no metal fence posts at the cairn as suggested on walkhighlands) 2hours 20 mins to summit
8.JPG
After returning back to the bealach following the fence posts we stopped for a bite to eat and a coffee then headed down towards the second Corbett keeping quite high above the Feith Thalain, underfoot conditions not as bad as expected
9.JPG
Coming towards another peat hagged area this time we kept as far left as possible
10.JPG
Once again on the South West shoulder of the Corbett there was a line of metal fence posts to follow
11.JPG
Martin checking his GPS at the summit cairn with Loch an Daimh in the background with also the lower slopes of tomorrows Compleation Munro Meall Buidhe
12.JPG
The two of us at the summit cairn, another two completed, a fine start to the weekend. 4 hours.
13.JPG
Easy walking on the nice short grassy South ridge towards Pubil, following more fence posts
14.JPG
Another of Loch an Daimh from further down the South ridge
15.JPG
Looking towards the Dam at Loch Lyon with the lower slopes of ( Meall nan Subh) the other Corbett hoped to be climbed tomorrow along with the Munro Compleation
16.JPG
Zoomed photo of the cars at the parking area
17.JPG
Looking down the glen with Pubil on the right
18.JPG
At the entrance gates of Pubil
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Re: Glen Lyon Corbetts from Pubil, a fine interesting duo.

Postby Yorjick » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:38 pm

I've still got these to do. I plan to include Stuc an Lochan when I do them. I always like Corbett/Munro combinations where possible! Thanks for doing the necessary reconnaissance on my behalf! :thumbup:
Yorjick
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:217
Fionas:66   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:158
Wainwrights:173   Islands:19

Postby Gordie12 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:04 pm

I like to think I was a couple of minutes slower due to the snow Rod :lol: :lol:

Found the initial climb (heading away from the loch and the track) the hardest part of this route but really enjoyed it. More water in the river/loch now!!
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

Postby The Rodmiester » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Gordie12 wrote:I like to think I was a couple of minutes slower due to the snow Rod :lol: :lol:

Found the initial climb (heading away from the loch and the track) the hardest part of this route but really enjoyed it. More water in the river/loch now!!

I must be slowing up, lol. Yep after the initial climb, it was really good, especially over the short grass summits.
Was the metal posts still at the summit cairn when you went?
The Rodmiester
Walker

Munros:107   Corbetts:196
Fionas:45   Donalds:13
Sub 2000:76   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Gordie12 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:53 pm

The Rodmiester wrote:
Gordie12 wrote:I like to think I was a couple of minutes slower due to the snow Rod :lol: :lol:

I must be slowing up, lol. Yep after the initial climb, it was really good, especially over the short grass summits.
Was the metal posts still at the summit cairn when you went?

Just had a look back at my summit shots (not many that day), no sign of any fence posts.
Gordie12
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:65
Fionas:30   Donalds:38+0
Sub 2000:35   Hewitts:37
Wainwrights:32   

4 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland